Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Updated September 23, 2014
3.2

Morgan Stanley Smith Barney President Greg Fleming
Greg Fleming

Pros
  • Additionally, the hours are extremely good and able to maintain a great work life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Good benefits/PTO, fast-paced learning environment, great advisors (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a disconnect between the companies desire for Financial Advisor Associates to succeed and their actions (in 20 reviews)

• Invariably, unless you are part of a team you will not make it through the training program (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Impressive bank, unimpressive industry.

Former Employee - Registered Client Service Associate
    Former Employee - Registered Client Service Associate

I worked at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney full-time

Pros

Morgan, Merrill and Goldman are definitely the top investment banks in the world today.

Cons

It's a very unethical industry. You're often asked to do things you question morally, and risk employment termination if you don't comply.

Stop breaking the law. If you're settling an investigation for billions of dollars (in any situation), it's because you acted incorrectly. An organization shouldn't act immorally or unethically for profit.

Good experience overall.

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance and co-workers were huge advantage. In the role that I had I was able to have a lot of autonomy and work with many departments across the company. The people throughout the U.S. that I worked with made the day to day work week great.

Cons

There was unfortunately very little opportunity for growth during the time I worked at this company. No good opportunities for career development. Many people were being let go and moral was down. I was lucky enough to ,keep my role but didn't see the ability to move up so moved out instead.

No bonus for last 3 years for certain legacy Morgan Stanley employees in Operation

Current Employee - Operations Analyst  in  Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Purchase, NY

I have been working at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Brand Recognition of Morgan Stanley in Investment banking and wealth management.

Cons

No upward mobility for operation or support folks from legacy MS side.

Please check the comp structure for Operation and support staffs

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Operations Analyst, Consultant

Former Employee - Operations Analyst  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I enjoyed my time working at Morgan Stanley. I did not receive a thorough training, but had a great supervisor to work with. I had a decent salary as well.

Cons

Did not necessarily enjoy my job tasks.

They'll pay to train you

Former Employee - Financial Advisor Associate  in  Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor Associate in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney full-time for more than a year

Pros

They pay for your license expenses and give you a lot of time to study. Wholesales bring free food all the time to pitch you products. Lots of independence and max income potential.

Cons

No support and help with finding target markets. Older advisors won't even really talk to you the first few months because they're pretty sure you won't make it. Revenue based model causes conflict of interest. No help building book.

Actually learn how to train and support people. Working hard is not all it takes, you need help learning effective strategies to market.

Company does not have a clear vision for their international wealth management business

Former Employee - Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Brand name, Smart people, pay

Cons

Impersonal, unclear vision for the international wealth management business

Define international wealth management strategy

A Great Name but Horrible Experience

Former Employee - Morgan Stanley Financial Advisor  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Morgan Stanley Financial Advisor in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney full-time for more than a year

Pros

The depth of this companies resources are incredible. Their research abilities are fantastic, their is almost no information you can't have brought to bear about a company, product or individual.

Cons

Their retail experience from an employees perspective is abysmal.

I witnessed nearly 50 people wash out of their Financial Advisor program within 2 years of initial hire, a 95% failure rate. Branch management runs the operation like a boiler room operation as opposed to motivating highly intelligent, qualified and capable professionals to be their best.

Performance metrics are still measured by 1970's and 80's criteria of call volume as opposed to quality of lead, contact or filtered sales prospects.

After 10 years of Do Not Call list legal implementation and the public rejecting cold calls as a sales tactic it's time to move out of the mindset of sales that hasn't worked since bell bottoms, disco, land yachts and 8 track tapes.

Good full ll service broker dealer to work for.

I have been working at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Pros

Dependable investment research.
    Compensation and benefits are very fair.

Cons

Seems like management cares more about the bottom line than the employees.

Listen to employees questions and comments.

It was fine - good place to start

Current Employee - Registered Sales Assistant  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Registered Sales Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You see exactly what the brokerage business is all about and if you want to do it you know what you are getting into. You can learn a lot based on who you work for.

Cons

Advancement is tough when you start on the low end of the ladder. Hard to make it to another level unless a broker likes you. Even then still tough. Also if there is ever a problem and depending on who you work for I have seen SA be blamed for things they had no hand in. Easier for the low moral broker to blame someone else than eat their mistake. If something looks bad take notes and protect yourself - just in case you get pushed under the bus.

Some of the sales assistants are pretty talented but end up leaving because there is no real chance to advance. Not all want to be brokers but rather find other divisions to be apart of but they are not often considered.

Great experience and had a very productive internship while at Smith Barney.

Former Employee - Wealth Management Intern  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Wealth Management Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good networking opportunity, office culture, great way to learn the business

Cons

compensation as an intern is slim to none, could be different now that it's been more than a few years since I interned there.

Worked for Morgan Stanley Smith Barney? Contribute to the Community!