Morgan State University

Morgan State University Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Morgan State University President David Wilson

David Wilson

This was most definitely a learning experience.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsThe best reason to work at MSU is the tuition waiver. It not only applies to Morgan but to all of the schools in the University System of Maryland. I definitely learned a lot about how to deal with multiple people of various ethnicities at varying levels.

ConsMorgan is on the lower end of the pay scale within the University System. We went without merit increases and cost of living raises for four years.

Electrical Engineering Student

ProsProfessor care about the student
    Good leadership opportunity

ConsThe food is not that great

Lots (about 65%) of dissatisfied employees

Lecturer (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsEducating students and preparing them for their careers. Flexibility of a teaching position has allowed me to develop some areas of scholarship and authorship.

ConsLow salary, poor employee support, unfair distribution of recognition. Environment and support structure like a community college, but expectations are those of a Harvard and MIT.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a community of (truly) satisfied educators and students and give it time. You will see the school blossom. Right now, employee morale and student quality are both going down.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent teachers, who educates students and provided me with a Federal Work Study.

Lab Assistant (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsMy positional was well balanced and delivering customer service to students filled my heart. The responsibilities are well organized. It's a terrific environment.

ConsI don't have any con to report. Besides I'm optimistic.

Advice to Senior ManagementOur president there as done many improvements: he gave raises, made financial more effective and is expands new buildings.

my experience at morgan was great

Registered Nurse (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

Prosi love the program a lot

Consthe program is getting better

Advice to Senior Managementmy advise is to keep growing.

My Great Years as a research assistant

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsWorking at Morgan State has been a great opportunity for me. The professors have been courteous and helpful in every opportunity I have faced. If given another opportunity I would do it again.

ConsNot many but since the university is in a transition phase with a new president, there are stil some old values that need to be left in the past. Other than that not much to dislike.

event staff

Event Staff Coordinator (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

Prosgreat job, friendly staffers who help when needed

Constemp job only but great pay. very little benifits for temp workers

Advice to Senior Managementask employees for advice

This is a great place to work if you are working towards a degree, but once you obtain it, move on!

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsFree college tuition
    Co-workers are generally very friendly

ConsAdministrators are condescending and unprofessional
    Low pay
    Lack of organization in key offices
    Lack of transparency
    Poor customer service
    Very little ability to move forward with career
    Nepotism
    Professional development is not encouraged

Advice to Senior ManagementTake greater interest in the professional development of your employees. It is not enough to make them aware that they need customer service skills; make your administrators responsible for demonstrating the same customer service you expect of your employees.

No Job Growth & No Pay Raise

Coordinator (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsI get paid to do absolutely nothing, which is much worse than it sounds. Plenty of potential if the management would just accept change.

ConsManagement is SLOW to accept change, pay it's employees, and give respect to anyone that doesn't have a Ph.D. You either fall into the ranks of doing 6 jobs at once, or doing nothing while working, some like me, have the choice from day to day. Morgan will pay you half to three quarters lower than the national average, which when paired with doing 6 jobs at once is just disrespectful.

Morgan is slow to pay its employees consistently, and when they do forget to pay you, it's up to you to make the correction. Total disrespect to employees without higher degrees, and there lack of any change of pay increase or increase in benefits or job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccept change, especially from those that are on the lower rungs of the ladder. Give incentives to your employees to do more work . . . like pay raises. Those that do nothing have no reason to work, and those that are doing 4 or more jobs aren't reaping the rewards.

Not worth all that is expected.

Lecturer (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsI can create my own schedule and control how my class is run.

ConsRequired to move mountains with no resources.

Worked for Morgan State University? Contribute to the Community!