MorganFranklin Consulting

Updated Jun 27, 2014

MorganFranklin Consulting Chief Executive Officer C.E. Andrews

C.E. Andrews

Going down hill fast

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)
    Tysons Corner, VA

ProsBenefits are not too bad

ConsThis company was great when I first started however in the last year it has started to tank.
    Horrible Management
    Federal side has employees who are too comfortable and refuse to increase the quality of work for the client (even though it is required by contract)
    Quality of work is sub par

Advice to Senior ManagementHire employees who are earger to work hard

Good people, bad management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsPeople: consultants and line staff were talented
    Company Spirit: Very strong company spirit and great events to make everyone feel like they were part of something greater

ConsLeadership: The management was extremely bloated. The senior management to staff ratio was very low. There were several abusive managers who were not held in check by the executives or HR.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the large number of Directors and Senior Managers.

Incompetent Managers and No growth potential

(Former Employee)

ProsCompany promotes health and wellness

ConsSexist workplace, Firm sells work life balance but does not support it when you ask for it, Make a mistake and it follows you for the rest of your career, Raises are crap so negotiate your base salary, Managers hoard information and do not help you do your job well, Managers are incompetent to help you grow, Very few career growth opportunities, Very very high turnover rate because work and managers suck, Employees with CPAs and technical competence are not valued, Technical competence does not matter for promotions, Only Business development matters for promotion, Review process is a joke, Managers don't provide regular reviews and hope that you forget about them

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees concerns, Match what you sold to them, Hire and promote competent managers

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast rising company, work/life balance and compensation are above average.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
    McLean, VA

ProsFlexibility in work schedule, company promotes health & wellness, senior leaders have "open door" policy.

ConsSome cliques within the company, few advancement opportunities, their name on your resume adds little value.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great people, interesting and challenging work, great growth opportunity

Manager (Current Employee)
    McLean, VA

ProsThis is an entrepreneurial environment where you can really make an impact and both see the fruits of your labors and be rewarded for your efforts. I appreciate that there is a lot of variety in the work and opportunity to become involved in different types of projects-- it keeps me from becoming pigeon-holed in my career and it keeps me challenged. I've worked for two different execs in the time that I've been here and both have been great mentors and advocates for my professional development. It's a very positive, collaborative culture-- I feel like the people I work with take pride in the work we do together and feel a sense of accomplishment in delivering great work that helps our clients and helps the firm to grow.

I work hard, but the hours and work load are sustainable and I have the flexibility I need to make it fit with my personal demands. The firm has a strong pay for performance philosophy and I've been very pleased at the way I've been able to impact my compensation in the time I've been here.

All jobs have their ups and downs, but I love working here.

ConsThere have been a lot of changes in the firm in the five years that I've been here. On the one hand it's a testament to their openness to find better ways of doing things, and on the other it requires a real ability to go with the flow and navigate sometimes murky territory while they're hammering out the details.

Good place to work

Senior IT Audit Associate (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsTheir employee review is thorough and developed to grow the employees career goals.
    Good management, always present to assist you and work with you where they can
    Challenging client work

ConsCreate more opportunities for an employee to move from one practice to another

Great Company

ProsSolid company with a lot of potential

Consno raises at midyear reviews

A fun, constantly changing environment

Consultant (Current Employee)
    McLean, VA

ProsWork hard, play hard culture; good work life balance usually (the project I was on had a couple of unusually busy weeks, so my boss gave us all a random day off); generous company. Also, flexible: if you want to put the pedal to the medal, you'll be rewarded, but if you want to take it easy and do the minimum, they're okay with that too.

ConsThings are always changing; the company is still relatively young and it is apparent.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on increasing technology.

Company culture a best fit for entrepreneurial professionals

Senior Associate (Current Employee)
    McLean, VA

Pros- MorganFranklin's pay for performance environment is best suited for self-starting professionals who are entrepreneurial by nature. Each engagement is essentially an opportunity to run your own consulting business for a single client. Professionals that walk towards challenges and focus on solving client issues are going to be the most successful here. If you do a really good job for a client, this will lead to more business development opportunities at the client (or through referral) and increased opportunities for you as a professional.
    - This company is growing, and you can feel the electricity in the air. People are excited and happy to work for MorganFranklin, most likely because we are contributing to the business goals of a client base that continues to increase in size and visibility.
    - MorganFranklin is very focused on company culture, and the leadership works to communicate the cultural ideals of the company to employees at all levels through trainings such as the "MorganFranklin Way". Overall, the culture is positive and inclusive, with an emphasis on rewarding performance and business development. Regularly scheduled happy hours, company events, and community volunteer opportunities re-inforce the positive culture. I think they are doing a good job of regularly bringing the company together, despite the dispersed nature of a consulting business model.
    - Flexibility is an option.
    - The majority of the Managing Directors are former Big4 audit or consulting professionals, with families. As a result, they expect that every engagement deliver high quality work products to clients, but understand the balance that you need to strike as a professional with a family. You can have a career in professional-services here and still have a personal life.
    - I honestly like the Managing Directors I work with on engagements, and I enjoy the interactions with the founders. I would enjoy having a beer with the majority of the leaders at the company. How often can you say that about your boss?

Cons- There is variability in experience at the Associate and Senior Associate levels. The sweet-spot for MorganFranklin recruiting is former Big4 audit or consulting professionals with a few years experience. These professionals know how to prepare workpapers, prepare presentations geared towards clients, analyze and understand the accounting and finance environment of a client, perform technical accounting research and respond to external auditor requests on behalf of clients. Associates that do not have this previous experience don't receive as balanced a development track. It can be difficult to develop an Associate hired from campus to the same level of proficiency as a Senior Associate or Manager hired from a Big4 firm.
    - There are less technical resources and fewer levels of general review than Big4. Not a big deal if you are good at performing technical research and working independently, but if you relied on a reviewer to catch your mistakes or consultation with a subject matter expert in the past then this might feel like working without a safety net.

Advice to Senior Management- Formal mentoring program has recently been implemented, and continues to develop. There is a lot of potential here to provide professionals with resources outside their chain of command, match professionals to new project opportunities in the company, and promote cross-training of professionals. I encourage you to continue to promote the importance of active mentoring.
    - To address the Associate development concerns, scheduling should consider creating paired teams of campus-hire professionals and experienced-hires from the Big4. These "partnered" teams could continue to work together on several clients throughout a development cycle (i.e. 6 months or a year). During this development cycle, the senior professional is responsible for teaching the junior professional proper workpaper technique, accounting research, etc. Then, at the end of the development cycle the staff associate can provide feedback on the development provided by the senior associate (and can choose to continue on this team or request another team), and the senior associate can provide feedback on the development of the staff (and then make a similar decision about continuing to partner with this staff or starting over with a new staff). This partnership can be repeated up the chain of command through Manager and Senior Manager levels.

Flag Review
    MorganFranklin Consulting Vice President of Human Resources responded to this review Apr 29, 2013 EditDelete
    Thanks for taking the time to write a review! MFC has a "continuous improvement" culture, and thoughtful employee feedback like this is extremely valuable to us. While no Company is perfect, you've ... More

Scope Creep + Unqualified People on Projects = High Risk

ProsThe pay is decent and MFC reimburses your expenses quickly. This is a 250+ size company, so you get to coordinate and interact with management regularly on projects.

ConsThe "management" structure is essentially sales. They care more about signing deals than actually delivering results to customers. It's not unusual for management to assign you to a project where you have ZERO experience doing; it's all about how they pitch it to the client. You end up with a project manager (equally inexperienced) and other unqualified consultants/associates operating haphazardly without a well-thought out plan.

Advice to Senior Management-Stop bring Big Four cut throat practices
    -Bid on projects MFC can actually deliver
    -Invest and train your employees in other areas

Worked for MorganFranklin Consulting? Contribute to the Community!

MorganFranklin Consulting Videos

MorganFranklin Consulting – Why Work for Us?

About MorganFranklin Consulting MorganFranklin is a strategy and execution-focused business consulting firm and professional advisor. We provide strategic thinking and hands-on support to help public companies… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MorganFranklin Consulting reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MorganFranklin Consulting CEO C.E. Andrews. All 44 reviews posted anonymously by MorganFranklin Consulting employees.