MorganFranklin Consulting

Updated November 5, 2014
3.6

MorganFranklin Consulting Chief Executive Officer C.E. Andrews
C.E. Andrews

Pros
  • Good salary and work life balance is the best (in 4 reviews)

• Work Culture, Quality of peers , Big 4 strategy and focus with advantage of being in small size company (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The firm sold me on work life balance, than had me placed on a project requiring travel 5 nights a week and 11 billable hours a day (in 5 reviews)

• The senior management to staff ratio was very low (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Opportunities for Professional Development

Current Employee - Senior Associate in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in McLean, VA

I have been working at MorganFranklin Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

MorganFranklin has given me the opportunity to grow professionally moreso than other firms I have worked for by providing technical training, allowing me to attend conferences/workshops, and encouraging internal mentor/mentee relationships. I'm very proud to say that my growth was recognized with a promotion at my most recent annual review.

In my senior associate level role, I feel that I'm compensated fairly. In addition to competitive salaries and yearly bonus opportunities, MorganFranklin rewards employees with real-time rewards (I earned a giftcard for my above and beyond efforts on a particular project), top-notch events (such as the Holiday Party this year, which was hosted at Union Station in Washington, D.C.) and a long list of HR benefits.

The biggest cultural difference between MorganFranklin and other firms is that individuals at all levels are encouraged to share their ideas with leadership and collaborate with eachother to solve complex challenges--a true open door policy. I feel very comfortable walking into the offices of executive team members to discuss new ideas on how to approach projects.

Cons

MorganFranklin recently underwent a divestiture and organizational restructure within the past two years. We are approaching this change with a strategic roadmap for growth, which always has pitfalls, sucesses, and lessons-learned.

To be successful in this environment, you have to be flexible and adapt to shifting sands. Without change, there is no innovation. A challenge is only an opportunity for greatness.

Awesome

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at MorganFranklin Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great mid-size firm that plays in the market with the Big 4 but doesn't come with the extra "work." Only work on what matters - client service and business development

Cons

Smaller firm, opportunities for promotion only available if contract available. Can't carry the overhead. Management also tends to hand-pick who they want to promote

Jul 15, 2014Chief HR Officer

Thanks very much for taking the time to provide us with feedback. I am so glad you think MFC is an awesome place to work. Could I entice you to give me a call to talk about our promotion process? I'd ... More

Great Company to work for!

Former Employee - INTEL SME in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - INTEL SME in Reston, VA

I worked at MorganFranklin Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Top notch salary, concierge service, bosses seem to care about their employees. Quarterly wellness spas at the office! The cookouts were amazing. Benefits were the best I have ever had. I would go back to work for them in a second.

Cons

They sold our division. I had to go work for Lockheed Martin. Even though they sold us, they did do their best to make sure we were taken care of by the new company and did everything they could to make the transition easy.

They seem to know what they are doing.

Jul 2, 2014Chief HR Officer

Thanks for your wonderful post, especially 18 months after the divestiture. It was very important to the MFC leaders to ensure the employees in the divested division were taken care of. It was so ... More

Excellent work culture, great people to work with

Current Employee - Manager in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at MorganFranklin Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work Culture, Quality of peers , Big 4 strategy and focus with advantage of being in small size company.

Cons

Small company, Not many big name clients, not many clients in across the globe.

Keep doing what you are doing, you have good long term vision.

Jul 15, 2014Chief HR Officer

Thanks for your feedback! I'm so glad you value one of our biggest and best differentiators--our ability to offer the best of a larger company along with the best of a smaller company. I encourage ... More

Has potential, but fails to offer true opportunity to it's employees.

Former Employee - Consulting Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Consulting Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at MorganFranklin Consulting full-time

Pros

Small business with the latitude to work across multiple business groups and accounts which offers experience that is not readily available in a large company. There are pillars of excellence led by very talented and motivated professionals in leading business performance for clients.

Cons

Company is led by a group of long time friends which at times are not motivated to inspire and offer opportunity to motivated employees to do more. Potential for unfair and not equal employment practices; corporate values and culture are other than what senior management live by. An "open door" policy is openly offered by corporate management, but found this to be less than advertised with potential for reprisal.

In the past MFC had been an up and coming small business, probably about time to sell the other side of the business before all the good people leave.

Underrated Experience. Firm over sells and under performs

Former Employee - Consulting Manager in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Consulting Manager in McLean, VA

I worked at MorganFranklin Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Entrepreneurial environment with a young vibe. Good benefits and above market compensation. Tries to be different. Easily accessible office location in Tyson's corner.

Cons

The firm does not set you up for success, but throws you in to billable projects with no alignment to your background and experience. The firm over sells on projects, and expects the available resources to figure it out, even if they aren't the right resources. The firm sold me on work life balance, than had me placed on a project requiring travel 5 nights a week and 11 billable hours a day.

Be more honest during interviews about what work life balance means to MFC. It's ok to throw your consultants in, but set them up to succeed.

Was ok

Former Employee - Satellite Tech in West Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Satellite Tech in West Chicago, IL

I worked at MorganFranklin Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Small group of 4 people in the West Chicago Office. They were all friendly and very relaxed.

Cons

Was hired for my iDirect/Satellite tech experience but ended up cleaning the building, installing new carpet and desks in a very large room. They also wanted me to fabricate new structures on their vehicles and were not willing to actually teach me how. Lack of any real management or training.

Do not hire someone for the TECH experience and then have them become a carpenter, janitor, and a fabricator and unwilling to train them in those fields. I lost a lot of money moving to the area only to be let go after 2 months without an explanation.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at MorganFranklin Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They do have a lot of company sponsored happy hours and their PTO is decent. Commercial side seems to have better projects and more competent leadership.

Cons

Training is hard to come by. I wanted to take a proposal writing course from outside vendor and was told the firm was going to offer something. I never saw any firm wide training offered for proposals during my tenure. Also, the federal sector doesn't have a ton of projects to chose from. Directors in the federal space are conniving and blatantly take credit for business develop activities they don't do.

Keep you directors in check. Find out who really does what on your contracts. Show up on customer site and talk to the clients! Stop bringing 'BIG 4' practices to the firm. Don't say we offer a work life balance and then punish your employees during review time for not doing enough for the firm! It's not fair to compare a person who is highly billable and does what they can for proposals to someone who has a lot of down time during the year to work on proposals and other firm activities. Of course that person that isn't billable can spend more of their time working on proposals. They aren't generating any revenue!!

Going down hill fast

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at MorganFranklin Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are not too bad

Cons

This company was great when I first started however in the last year it has started to tank.
    Horrible Management
    Federal side has employees who are too comfortable and refuse to increase the quality of work for the client (even though it is required by contract)
    Quality of work is sub par

Hire employees who are earger to work hard

Good people, bad management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at MorganFranklin Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People: consultants and line staff were talented
    Company Spirit: Very strong company spirit and great events to make everyone feel like they were part of something greater

Cons

Leadership: The management was extremely bloated. The senior management to staff ratio was very low. There were several abusive managers who were not held in check by the executives or HR.

Get rid of the large number of Directors and Senior Managers.

MorganFranklin Consulting Photos