MorganFranklin Consulting

Updated Jul 29, 2014

MorganFranklin Consulting Chief Executive Officer C.E. Andrews

C.E. Andrews

Great Company

ProsSolid company with a lot of potential

Consno raises at midyear reviews

A fun, constantly changing environment

Consultant (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsWork hard, play hard culture; good work life balance usually (the project I was on had a couple of unusually busy weeks, so my boss gave us all a random day off); generous company. Also, flexible: if you want to put the pedal to the medal, you'll be rewarded, but if you want to take it easy and do the minimum, they're okay with that too.

ConsThings are always changing; the company is still relatively young and it is apparent.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on increasing technology.

Company culture a best fit for entrepreneurial professionals

Senior Associate (Current Employee) McLean, VA

Pros- MorganFranklin's pay for performance environment is best suited for self-starting professionals who are entrepreneurial by nature. Each engagement is essentially an opportunity to run your own consulting business for a single client. Professionals that walk towards challenges and focus on solving client issues are going to be the most successful here. If you do a really good job for a client, this will lead to more business development opportunities at the client (or through referral) and increased opportunities for you as a professional.
    - This company is growing, and you can feel the electricity in the air. People are excited and happy to work for MorganFranklin, most likely because we are contributing to the business goals of a client base that continues to increase in size and visibility.
    - MorganFranklin is very focused on company culture, and the leadership works to communicate the cultural ideals of the company to employees at all levels through trainings such as the "MorganFranklin Way". Overall, the culture is positive and inclusive, with an emphasis on rewarding performance and business development. Regularly scheduled happy hours, company events, and community volunteer opportunities re-inforce the positive culture. I think they are doing a good job of regularly bringing the company together, despite the dispersed nature of a consulting business model.
    - Flexibility is an option.
    - The majority of the Managing Directors are former Big4 audit or consulting professionals, with families. As a result, they expect that every engagement deliver high quality work products to clients, but understand the balance that you need to strike as a professional with a family. You can have a career in professional-services here and still have a personal life.
    - I honestly like the Managing Directors I work with on engagements, and I enjoy the interactions with the founders. I would enjoy having a beer with the majority of the leaders at the company. How often can you say that about your boss?

Cons- There is variability in experience at the Associate and Senior Associate levels. The sweet-spot for MorganFranklin recruiting is former Big4 audit or consulting professionals with a few years experience. These professionals know how to prepare workpapers, prepare presentations geared towards clients, analyze and understand the accounting and finance environment of a client, perform technical accounting research and respond to external auditor requests on behalf of clients. Associates that do not have this previous experience don't receive as balanced a development track. It can be difficult to develop an Associate hired from campus to the same level of proficiency as a Senior Associate or Manager hired from a Big4 firm.
    - There are less technical resources and fewer levels of general review than Big4. Not a big deal if you are good at performing technical research and working independently, but if you relied on a reviewer to catch your mistakes or consultation with a subject matter expert in the past then this might feel like working without a safety net.

Advice to Senior Management- Formal mentoring program has recently been implemented, and continues to develop. There is a lot of potential here to provide professionals with resources outside their chain of command, match professionals to new project opportunities in the company, and promote cross-training of professionals. I encourage you to continue to promote the importance of active mentoring.
    - To address the Associate development concerns, scheduling should consider creating paired teams of campus-hire professionals and experienced-hires from the Big4. These "partnered" teams could continue to work together on several clients throughout a development cycle (i.e. 6 months or a year). During this development cycle, the senior professional is responsible for teaching the junior professional proper workpaper technique, accounting research, etc. Then, at the end of the development cycle the staff associate can provide feedback on the development provided by the senior associate (and can choose to continue on this team or request another team), and the senior associate can provide feedback on the development of the staff (and then make a similar decision about continuing to partner with this staff or starting over with a new staff). This partnership can be repeated up the chain of command through Manager and Senior Manager levels.

MorganFranklin Consulting Response

Apr 29, 2013Vice President of Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to write a review! MFC has a "continuous improvement" culture, and thoughtful employee feedback like this is extremely valuable to us. While no Company is perfect, you've ... More

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Scope Creep + Unqualified People on Projects = High Risk

ProsThe pay is decent and MFC reimburses your expenses quickly. This is a 250+ size company, so you get to coordinate and interact with management regularly on projects.

ConsThe "management" structure is essentially sales. They care more about signing deals than actually delivering results to customers. It's not unusual for management to assign you to a project where you have ZERO experience doing; it's all about how they pitch it to the client. You end up with a project manager (equally inexperienced) and other unqualified consultants/associates operating haphazardly without a well-thought out plan.

Advice to Senior Management-Stop bring Big Four cut throat practices
    -Bid on projects MFC can actually deliver
    -Invest and train your employees in other areas

Excellent place to begin a career, with unlimited opportunities for growth and experience.

Associate (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsI've been given experiences in various types of projects within only a year, vastly increasing my range of skill sets; I have been valued as a face within the company and not a number, as I've been rewarded not based on my rank and time with the company, but rather my work. Excellent people to work with and work for!

ConsNot always advanced notice on where/what your next project will be, although I expect this is common in most consulting firms.

Quality focus on client and employee experience

Director (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsGreat people work here, and they have a lot to teach others. The work is challenging and there are excellent opportunities for advancement. We have great clients, so the work is enjoyable because of having good clients. Management listens and cares about employees. Because it is a smaller company, there is a lot of flexibility.

ConsBecause it is a smaller company, there are things you might find at a large company that don't exist here. For example, my previous employer has an upward feedback system that provided employees an opportunity to evaluate their supervisors. That doesn't exist at MorganFranklin. However, the company is very open to changes.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great work experience and great people

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) McLean, VA

Pros- Great project opportunities
    - Very friendly and positive colleagues
    - Company with great growth potential

Cons- Compensation could be more competitive with other opportunities in the market
    - Training could be improved to be more consistent and more of a company focus

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees with competitive compensation and adequate training opportunities

Nothing amazing but nothing terrible

Manager (Current Employee) McLean, VA

Pros-Engaged Company Management (Morgans & Franklins) who really do care about the direction of the Company and want to see that employees are happy. Very approachable.
    -Diverse and young company
    -Fair pay and benefits
    -Diverse set of clients
    -HR team does a great job of communicating various benefits

Cons-If you don't like business development you won't rise quickly
    -Job satisfaction is highly dependent upon your client. That can be a pro or a con but much of the client assignment is out of your hands
    -Some clients you have to really drive or commute for and that can get old very quickly
    -They used to have a lot of various trainings for employees and now they have ceased them essentially. Hard to understand where the Company is going when they stop various training opportunities
    -Some Managing Directors are great to work with and others are completely out of touch

Advice to Senior ManagementWith the recent Company reorganization now is the time to have a strategy for where the Company is going. There has been a complete halt in training which sends a really bad signal to employees.

MorganFranklin Consulting Response

Apr 29, 2013Vice President of Human Resources

We appreciate your feedback! The recent reorganization does create an opportune time to refocus the Company and take it from good to great, and the Company is taking action toward this goal in a ... More

It's a good company to work for.

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood people and interesting work.

ConsIt is a consulting firm so unless you like consulting, this is not the company for you

Too many staff hoc projects

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) McLean, VA

Pros- The consultants are great to work with but as you look around not many folks are there for more than a year
    - Great place for folks that are interested in audit readiness, A123 projects but that's it
    - Commercial project have far more interesting work.
    - Good company strategies but do not have the business process to back it
    - Internal staff love working here (great place for an internal gig)

Cons- Be sure you interview with folks other than the director and meet their employees. You will soon find out that a lot of their employees leave within a year or two.
    - Very young staff with lack of consulting experience.
    - Important tip for current employees and new ones coming on: If you decide to leave the company check to make sure you have enough vacation time to cover your two weeks. 95% of the time the company will let you go once you give your notice unless you are moving on with one of their clients.
    - so many other little boutique companies that unless you are looking into finance/audit job positions look elsewhere

Advice to Senior Management- Take care of your people and your people will take care of you.
    - no consistent message within the company
    - branding is always changing which shows the company doesn't know their own brand

Worked for MorganFranklin Consulting? Contribute to the Community!