MorganFranklin Consulting

Updated November 5, 2014
3.6

MorganFranklin Consulting Chief Executive Officer C.E. Andrews
C.E. Andrews

Pros
  • Good salary and work life balance is the best (in 4 reviews)

• Work Culture, Quality of peers , Big 4 strategy and focus with advantage of being in small size company (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The firm sold me on work life balance, than had me placed on a project requiring travel 5 nights a week and 11 billable hours a day (in 5 reviews)

• The senior management to staff ratio was very low (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

An up and coming company with great potential.

Current Employee - Associate in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Vienna, VA

I have been working at MorganFranklin Consulting

Pros

Great work environment. Its fast paced, the work is challenging and you can really lose yourself in the experience. Lot's of perks and benefits, great healthcare and community involvement, and I feel like they really care about me.

Cons

Fairness is "lumpy" across the company. Depending on the MD you work for, the experience can be great or a nightmare. They need to do a better job of talking about work/life balance versus giving me a bonus based on billable hours!

Talk to us about where the company is going. Tie my bonus and compensation to things that *I* can control.

Poor working environment in the London office. Autocratic managing director(s) - dictatorship management style

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at MorganFranklin Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good salary and work life balance is the best. This is due to a lack of client work

Cons

- Poor management team in the London office
    - Morale is very low in the office. Staff do not respect or want to work for the UK managing director(s) who rule the office in a dictatorship management style
    - Many people have resigned or have been fired since the new leadership team has been appointed. Currently there are under 10 full time staff, with only a handful of full time consultants left (around 4)
    - Lack of client work and sales pipeline is unrealistic. Few upcoming client prospects

- Adopt a more friendly approach to encourage and motivate staff

An example of bad management, leadership and business practices

I worked at MorganFranklin Consulting full-time

Pros

* US operations and people seem nice and cooperative
    * Loads of potential for career advancement (with the right senior management)
    * Good place for a self-starter (with the right senior management)
    * Good service offering potential led from the US
    * Compensation and benefits are market average
    * Nice work colleagues
    * Nice office location in London

Cons

* Poor local senior management and leadership
    * Poor communications top-down to lower ranks
    * Operations and assignments very disorganised and ad-hoc
    * Client base and new business is confusing and unstable (almost cowboy in nature)
    * Local office ignores and often ignores the US operations
    * Poor career advancement
    * Everything requires approval from local senior management
    * Workers are constantly micro-managed, over controlled and second guessed
    * Office environment can be at times uncomfortable to work effectively

US senior management should fix the problems and address the issues with local senior management; perhaps, a local acquisition to bring in more competent and worker-friendly senior management (to replace or overlay current local senior management). Best practice would be to replace the current local senior management.
    US senior management should bring in outside sales and marketing experts to improve lead generation to boost sales opportunities - to further improve revenue and growth.

A lot of potential here

I have been working at MorganFranklin Consulting

Pros

Having come from the big 4, I sense there is a lot of opportunity here given the rapid growth of the firm (they have hired 40 people in the last month). I wonder how much they promote from within. I will have to see what happens after this review cycle. The structure is informal; not the formality there is at larger firms. Also, less focus on utilization. 40-45 hours is okay here.

Cons

I agree with previous postings that there is inconsistencies in the level of experience among staff. I have also noticed that senior management seems a little too complacent on my project and will do anything the client wants even if it is not in our statement of work.

Promote from within and beware of upper management (senior managers) that aren't developing new business.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at MorganFranklin Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very Competitive Salary
    Temendous client roster for a mid-size firm
    Incredbile talent pool

Cons

Top Heavy on Senior Leadership

Most times exhausting, sometimes laidback due to lack of process

I have been working at MorganFranklin Consulting

Pros

there arent as many rules at you would find in a big 4 company, so making it from associate to senior is a breeze as the HR review process is really non-existent and its no skin-off a MD's back to give you a 5k raise.

sometimes the lack of procedure is great. we dont have a good system of doing reviews or anything you would expect from a large, established company. So its great if you dont like administrative paperwork.

people like the CEO.

Cons

this company, much like others in the area sell work to clients that they have a complete inability to perform on the actual project. people are proposed on projects because they are living and breathing and not on another job. it is the job of upper management to damage control rather than to actually help clients push forward. the less than 15% of MFC people that actually know what they are doing are relied upon to stop the 85% from ruining the reputation of the company.

good luck if you are unbillable for a period of time. the people in charge of staffing will ensure you feel terrible about yourself and give you value added tasks such making copies or printing presentations and making you feel unsure if they will still keep you. imagine someone walking around the office and asking you everyday "what are you working on?"

some key leaders will walk right past you and not acknowledge your existence. it doesnt matter if they interviewed you two weeks ago and your entire department is less than 10 people.

accept that you dont do alot of things right, listen to your key employees and actually have actions result from it. dont let us accidentally see that our revenue is doing very well and then blindside us with statements about the "economy" to justify raises that are less than inflation.

decent company but middle management (sr. manager/director) are extremely incompetent

Former Employee - Senior Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Manager

I worked at MorganFranklin Consulting

Pros

-decent pay
    -decent benefits
    -well organized firm
    -very progressive
    -invest in thier employees if you ask
    -Excellent ownership / top leadership

Cons

-A few of the MDs are extremely incompetent (Most are very good however)
    -Sr. Manager level and Director levels are very weak
    -Upper management is blind to truly who performs best at client sites vs. those who do not
    -Promotions are blatently unfairly given and much nepotism
    -Many people there have extremely large egos and too large given MFC is only a regional firm (barely Tier III level consulting firm)
    -They are very cheap with raises, bonuses, etc.

Be more aware of true performance and hire more effectively. The owners are true leaders but the attrition is high due to middle management performance.

Great place to work

I have been working at MorganFranklin Consulting

Pros

competitive compensation
    friendly environment
    training opportunities
    competitive benefits

Cons

long time than initially stated to get promotions or recognition

Clearly define promotional criteria during interview phase

MorganFranklin provides incredible opportunities to work with top tier clients to solve their toughest challenges.

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at MorganFranklin Consulting

Pros

Pros of working at MorganFranklin include:
    - The culture - entrepreneurial, collaborative, down-to-earth

- The people - MorganFranklin employees come from the Big Four, other top-notch consultancies, and/or with substantial industry experience. Consultants at MorganFranklin are experienced - we give our clients more experience for their money than most consulting firms

- Caliber of clients and project work - Work with many of the same clients as top strategy and process improvement consulting firms. Nature of project work is also on par with other big-name consultancies

- Staffing model - Perfect for those of us who want to spend most of our time in the DC area. The structure and staffing model is regional, which minimizes the need for weekly travel. We work primarily with multi-national companies and have a London based office which presents international project opportunities for those interested.

- Ability to make a signficant impact - MorganFranklin encourages and supports employees at all levels of the organization in making a real impact in the company's direction and performance. This includes thought leadership, internal process improvement initiatives (so that we practice what we preach to our clients), practice strategy, and business development.

Cons

Several areas of our practice are in process of maturing - this also provides opportunities to contribute and to make a difference to the success of the company

Your typical government body shop.

I worked at MorganFranklin Consulting

Pros

Pay and benefits were fine

Cons

Upper management has more ego than skill and while they talk a lot about work-life balance and ethics, it's only talk. When it comes down to it they just want to line their pockets by exploiting both workers and customers. Unfortunately that's not uncommon in the government contractor space.

MorganFranklin Consulting Photos