Morley Companies

Updated January 30, 2015
Updated January 30, 2015
2.1

Paul Furlo

Not as bad as people say

I have been working at Morley Companies

Pros

It can be a fun atmosphere, good perks and benefits, coworkers are great, the wellness program is fantastic, and you'll definitely work hard.

Cons

Salaries are notoriously low (but benefits are good), management's expectations can be unreasonable. The company's reputation took a hit when they got into the call center biz, which is a shame since it's overall a decent company.

Maybe get some focus out there about other areas of your company that aren't related to the call center!

Stepping stone to something better

I have been working at Morley Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people at Morley are awesome, most of them. The owners are amazing and are probably some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Many promotions are handled internally so there is a good chance that if you try and put forth effort you can move up in the company.

Cons

There are several cons when it comes to working for Morley.

The pay is terrible. While I was there I was making $23,000/year salaried. I had over 5 years experience as well as a college degree. I never once received a raise, more pay only came through a promotion and that was if you were lucky. Bonuses were non-existant. While there I received about $50 in bonuses per year which was better than the $5 mcdonalds gift cards others received. Morley does not value education nor do they attempt to keep good employees who demand to be paid a better wage. I left Morley for an offer from another local company that was starting out at 3x Morley's wage + a bonus that was 100x larger along with better benefits. I was asked to put my resignation in early so I could train my replacement, which I did. I was then told I was not eligible for my bonus (which was paid out a week later) because I put my resignation in (not like I missed the $30 after tax). On top of that, my direct supervisor basically ignored me for 5 week - cant say I am complaining about that either.

There is a large sense of disparity. When someone can barely afford to live because of a low wage and you see the owners driving Range Rovers, Escalades and other various Cadillacs - it almost makes you mad. While I understand they own the company they should acknowledge the people who are making all that money for them through decent wages or some sort of compensation plan.

My advice to management is that they need to try and retain good employees. They also need to make sure that they are allowing others to better themselves through eduction and trainings. They are not very good about allowing people to pursue a college education while working there - which I find terrible. Many people come to work and work hard for very little pay.

2 years of my life wasted.

Current Employee - GM ROADSIDE TEAM LEAD in Saginaw, MI
    Current Employee - GM ROADSIDE TEAM LEAD in Saginaw, MI

I have been working at Morley Companies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You have a job in Saginaw... that's good when the other choice is being unemployed.

Cons

Minimum pay.
    Management has no common sense.
    Employees are treated like children.
    Company does not live up to their own standards.

Demote everyone in management and start over!

Stressful. Not enough hands on training.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Saginaw, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Saginaw, MI

I worked at Morley Companies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Other than some of the co-workers, nothing.

Cons

Not enough training. They train you for 2 weeks and then toss you to the wolves. Oh and the training doesn't even begin to touch the reality of the job. The expectations are silly, they'll nit pick everything you say or do while on a call (don't clear your throat! Don't make any noises! And heaven help if you misspell a word!). There may not be a ton of jobs out there, but everything has to be better than this company.

Train your people! Give them more hands on time. Don't throw them out there and wonder why they falter.

Long term employee, under appreciated

Current Employee - DBC Agent in Saginaw, MI
    Current Employee - DBC Agent in Saginaw, MI

I have been working at Morley Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-not difficult to get time off, it will not be paid though
    -blue cross benefits, not bad, not cheap but at least they do provide them to full time associates

Cons

-complete lack of mature management
    -meaningful promotions are scarce
    -no raises/bonuses
    -hard work isn't recognized
    -turn over is atrocious, which you would think they would appreciate people that have stayed there longer, but they don't

actually appreciate your employees. Especially the ones that stick around. How do plan on building a legitimate company with constant turn around? Raises/bonuses are important to employees. We come here to make money. So reward us with money, not cupcakes and potlucks. You may be an important company in the eyes of the news stations that report and the newspaper, but this company has a terrible reputation from its employees. Just ask anybody that has worked at Morley what they think.

Great Job - If You Enjoy Training Yourself!

Current Employee - Customer Assistance Center Senior Advisor in Saginaw, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Assistance Center Senior Advisor in Saginaw, MI

I have been working at Morley Companies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Not really a lot of Pro's here. I have met a few amazing co-workers who will be lifelong friends, here at Morley. I used to love coming here to work for about the first 12 months of employment. However, sadly that is no longer the case.

Cons

Hourly wages are pathetic, to be blunt. My department performs job duties that should pay about $12-15/hour, yet we are paid about $9/hour instead. Missing work for any reason, even bereavement, sickness with doctor's note, or anything else that would be reasonably excused elsewhere, is not excused. It is counted against you and once you accrue so many, you are written up. Management makes up rules that are not in the handbook and do whatever they want. Morley is truly a dead-end for anyone who isn't an executive.

Want training? Ha! Good luck! The training I received for my current position was a PowerPoint presentation that was read word-for-word by the "trainer". I have asked upper management more than 10 times in the past 12 months for more training to help me become the best customer assistance agent possible - do you think I've seen any training? Of course not. This is sad, and I don't think the President, Mr. Furlo, has any idea that this is going on. I know if I were an upper executive of a large company, and employees were BEGGING for more training, I would give it to them on golden platters! But, the upper management, at least in my department, could care less about their employees. We are all disposable and replaceable to them. It's very sad to say that.

With all this being said, I am really sad that I no longer enjoy coming to work. My first 12 months here were great - probably because different individuals were assigned as my department's supervisors. Now that they're gone, I can't tell you one employee in my department that actually enjoys coming to work. It's really sad.

Maybe listen to your employees. We are begging you for more training to become BETTER employees for YOU! What is the problem here? The only conclusion I get from this is that you don't want us to become better employees, we're disposable, and that you don't care about the client we are working for! I wonder if they know about this? I wonder if Mr. Furlo knows about this? I highly doubt that he would accept this out of the upper management of his company.

As far as compensation - how much are we worth to you? To us, it's nothing. Other departments are given raises so that they don't leave their job for a better one, and they don't perform half the work we do! Why? Are they more valuable than our department? It seems so.

Please, at least ACT like you care about your employees. I WANT to LOVE coming to work again, like I used to. I want to be the best employee I can be, because I WANT to! The inner-workings of this company really need to be looked at, quickly.

Not a good place to work

Former Employee - DBC Customer Service Representative in Saginaw, MI
    Former Employee - DBC Customer Service Representative in Saginaw, MI

I worked at Morley Companies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Co-workers, able to gain experience in a customer service setting.

Cons

Management was horrible, pay was a joke and getting time off was a hassle.

Get new people in management and PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES BETTER!

Great for first job

Current Employee - Parts Analyst in Saginaw, MI
    Current Employee - Parts Analyst in Saginaw, MI

I have been working at Morley Companies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Morley has awesome team associates.

Cons

Doing more work for less pay. You have to use your vacation pay and if you use it to soon and you leave the compay, you have may have to pay it back.

Dead end

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Saginaw, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Saginaw, MI

I have been working at Morley Companies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Like my coworkers. No physical exertion. Sit at desk all day in controlled climate

Cons

Absolutely no work/life balance. Low pay with no raises. Management doesn't care if you stay or go, no matter how good of an employee you are.

Listen to your employees once in awhile, they are the ones talking to customers

What you do matters

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Morley Companies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You will work with great people. Most of what you do here is help people (clients). There is a lot of satisfaction in knowing that your efforts are helping someone who is stranded in a car, trying to fly to a meeting or generally in need of some kind of assistance. There is a big focus on rewarding Morley associates who do great work and set an example for the rest of the company.

Cons

Being focused on delivering great customer service is always challenging. Your job occasionally takes you into nights and weekends. Your need to maintain professional composure with clients can be stressful.