Morningstar

Morningstar Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Morningstar Chairman and CEO Joe Mansueto

Joe Mansueto

Pros
  • Full of friendly co-workers, allows great work-life balance(in 50 reviews)

• Good and flexible working hours(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay (as an analyst) compared to other companies in the financial industry(in 12 reviews)

• High staff turnover at all levels including senior management(in 12 reviews)

133 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great experience, nice people to work with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosthe people here are great and the culture is very laid back, unlike any other company I have worked for. I love the vacation policy and it is nice to know the company wants you to come to work, do your work, and then go home and have a life. there is no required face time, nor did I ever feel like I needed to stay longer than what my work too in order to be there

Conshard career progression, there are so issues with moving up in this company

Advice to Senior Managementhire from within, you look outside for talent but that is not always the right answer.

Great work-life balance

Project Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsPeople are very nice, the organization is flat. It's easy to ask for time off. Nice office, free bagel breakfast on Wed.

ConsThe pay is under industry average. And most of the jobs are very boring, lack of challenges. If you are an ambitious person, don't go there.

Great Insurance, Good Bagels, Poor Middle Management

Designer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsInsurance - Bagel Day - Summer Hours

ConsTerribly poor, under qualified middle management. Lack of oversight. No one is ever on the same page in terms of project intent, and deadlines. Way too many managers watching YouTube. They work young developers, programers, and designers to the bone with no recognition for their hard work. I have worked several times overnight due to the manager’s constant nagging on finishing the project only to find out there was no set deadline whatsoever. No apology from the manager, just an "oops!".

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck on the qualifications of your middle management. They spend too much time on either YouTube, Zappos, or J.Crew websites.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great work place, which doesn't like edge technology

Developer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsNot much pressure, Nice people

Constoo much managers, ignores developers' work

Advice to Senior Managementplease hire more developers

Good company, not great for tech career

Software Developer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe company has a fun, young culture and the people are above average in their passion and talent.

ConsThe technology teams in general err on the side of mediocre and stand-outs who a really passionate about tech are few and far between.

Not as great as they say

Data Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThey really try to sell you on the culture and the extra benefits at Morningstar - parties, flexible hours and vacation, casual environment.

ConsCompensation, rotation/advancement opportunities, and candor from management are lackluster at best.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you really want to be a great place to work, listen to and appreciate your employees.

Great place to get hired elsewhere.

Equity Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat work-life balance, as you do the job you can work from home, and take almost as much vacation time as you like. Senior management is very inspirational. Brand name of Morningstar is well-known, so it's easy to get hired elsewhere.

ConsThe pay is low, so the best people leave for other firms. Middle-management is terrible, and is decided by who can stay at Morningstar the longest. A special circle of hell is reserved for HR, which acts as a disciplinarian for passive aggressive managers.

Great Place To Start

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWork environment, training, culture, freedom

ConsPay, compensation, bonus structure, promotions

Advice to Senior ManagementTo keep longer term people, we need to be compensated appropriately.

Extemely low pay for developers

Database Administrator (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat senior leadership, good company, industry name recognition, free sodas and coffee

ConsThey outsource most of their software development and support to China to save money, making it difficult to communicate and collaborate. There are some sharp coworkers in the China office to be sure, but there's a lot of low quality cheap labor there too. Morningstar is extremely frugal on the salary front. Pay is very poor. A few years back they did a salary survey, but rigged the thing from the start by considering themselves a "publishing" company to get placed up against book publishers and magazines rather than the financial companies out there who pay much better. Morningstar would have you believe they're closer to Random House than Goldman Sachs.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou get what you pay for. All the Booth MBA's in the world won't make up for half rate developers on the other side of the world. As the company continues to grow, web presence in particular, the cracks will increase and be harder to hide.

You will find a home here

Manager, Software Development (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat people
    Great atmosphere
    Amazing work life balance

ConsMorningstar is going to major org changes that can turn out either way.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember what worked the past and what got to to where you are today. All companies have to grow and change, but don't lose the entrepreneurial spirit.

Worked for Morningstar? Contribute to the Community!