Morningstar

Morningstar Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Morningstar Chairman and CEO Joe Mansueto

Joe Mansueto

Pros
  • Full of friendly co-workers, allows great work-life balance (in 50 reviews)

• Good and flexible working hours (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • High staff turnover at all levels including senior management (in 12 reviews)

• Very low pay (as an analyst) compared to other companies in the financial industry (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights
136 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company overall

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsVery entrepreneurial, very good work culture and company values. Lots of opprtunity to move around the company to gain varied experience.

ConsCan be a little too insular. With so many small teams, lots of duplication of efforts, not as efficient as it could be.

Great experience, nice people to work with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosthe people here are great and the culture is very laid back, unlike any other company I have worked for. I love the vacation policy and it is nice to know the company wants you to come to work, do your work, and then go home and have a life. there is no required face time, nor did I ever feel like I needed to stay longer than what my work too in order to be there

Conshard career progression, there are so issues with moving up in this company

Advice to Senior Managementhire from within, you look outside for talent but that is not always the right answer.

Gradually Derailing

Data Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSummer hours, out-performing is easy, limited hours each week, work life balance, nice every-day perks.

Our company has always been a gem in the investment industry for its limited hours and relaxed environment which are still consistently present at the company. Expect to work less than 45 hour weeks typically and enjoy the free soft drinks, tea and coffee (and bagels on Wednesdays). I think generally speaking, our managers mean well and do care about their employee's wellness.

ConsCompensation packages, limited upward mobility, strategy inconsistency, regular corporate missteps, increasingly opaque.

Over time, Morningstar is losing touch with its employee base. Many coworkers sit with hardly anything to do, and yet our headcount is exploding YoY. Projects regularly stall without adequate developers (or developers that are required to actually work at work) and during vacation season, people lose all sense of delivering what's necessary to our clients in a timely fashion.

Simmering resent is perhaps as widespread as it's ever been during my tenure with the company - at face value everybody is happy, but when you talk to anybody over details, people are truly miserable. Limited hours sounds great, but this slack in employee time results in employees feeling underutilized and underappreciated. Add to this substantially sub-par pay packages and our hard working, innovative and bright employees are the ones leaving the firm. Often the long-term employees here are either high ranking and loaded with stock (very smart as well) or they're manipulators of the system who feel free to take 4-6 weeks of vacation a year and move slowly at best when they're on the job. A note for the ambitious, you will be utterly disappointed here.

A specific note for future MDPs (Morningstar Development Program candidates), expect no negotiation salaries, dictated position changes, no pay increases with promotions, and annual raises that trail inflation.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake your own advice regarding organic growth and stop the frothy M&A, create room for employees to grow vertically, pay attention to your employees that want more work and reward them.

Joe, please take your own advice and select gritty candidates - not employees who are collecting a paycheck for 35 hours a week.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An OK place to work

Data Analyst (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros- Office environment
    - Overall laid-back culture and work-life balance

Cons- the work nature was boring, of course it varies by team
    - the company doesn't value each individual employee especially for the entry level. You get a feeling that they will be just as fine with or without you
    - If you want to really learn and grow and challenge yourself, this is not a place for you
    - HR team not friendly and helpful
    - Overall culture is dull

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about the high turn over ratio among entry level employees. People don't stay for a reason. The lack of personal care given to the employees, work itself, career progression prospective, overall culture..all play in. Feeling valued and making impacts are what keeps people loyal and sticking with the company. Losing talents, maybe not as visible, are real big costs to the company.

Great Insurance, Good Bagels, Poor Middle Management

Designer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsInsurance - Bagel Day - Summer Hours

ConsTerribly poor, under qualified middle management. Lack of oversight. No one is ever on the same page in terms of project intent, and deadlines. Way too many managers watching YouTube. They work young developers, programers, and designers to the bone with no recognition for their hard work. I have worked several times overnight due to the manager’s constant nagging on finishing the project only to find out there was no set deadline whatsoever. No apology from the manager, just an "oops!".

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck on the qualifications of your middle management. They spend too much time on either YouTube, Zappos, or J.Crew websites.

Great work-life balance

Project Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsPeople are very nice, the organization is flat. It's easy to ask for time off. Nice office, free bagel breakfast on Wed.

ConsThe pay is under industry average. And most of the jobs are very boring, lack of challenges. If you are an ambitious person, don't go there.

Great work place, which doesn't like edge technology

Developer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsNot much pressure, Nice people

Constoo much managers, ignores developers' work

Advice to Senior Managementplease hire more developers

Good company, not great for tech career

Software Developer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe company has a fun, young culture and the people are above average in their passion and talent.

ConsThe technology teams in general err on the side of mediocre and stand-outs who a really passionate about tech are few and far between.

Not as great as they say

Data Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThey really try to sell you on the culture and the extra benefits at Morningstar - parties, flexible hours and vacation, casual environment.

ConsCompensation, rotation/advancement opportunities, and candor from management are lackluster at best.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you really want to be a great place to work, listen to and appreciate your employees.

Great place to get hired elsewhere.

Equity Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat work-life balance, as you do the job you can work from home, and take almost as much vacation time as you like. Senior management is very inspirational. Brand name of Morningstar is well-known, so it's easy to get hired elsewhere.

ConsThe pay is low, so the best people leave for other firms. Middle-management is terrible, and is decided by who can stay at Morningstar the longest. A special circle of hell is reserved for HR, which acts as a disciplinarian for passive aggressive managers.

Worked for Morningstar? Contribute to the Community!