Morningstar

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company

Analyst (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsThe work life balance was great . Everyone was very nice and there was a great company culture in the summer they had friday afternoon off.

ConsThere will limited exit opportunities from the internship. Sometimes the work environment was too slow and struggled to find good work to do.

Limited career progression outside of Chicago

London, England (UK)

ProsReasonable benefit package; casual dress policy; free breakfast on weds; annual training stipend and summer hours. Providing you have worked 40 hours prior to noon on Friday you can leave early on Fridays during the summer.

ConsChicago set policy with limited consideration for international cultures. Anti-telecommuting. Conference calls are scheduled in the evening with no consideration for international participants. Salaries are under industry standards. Figuring out internal procedures can be very challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo be a truly global company key positions should be considered outside of Chicago. Don't mistake visibility for productivity in this day and age being in the office is not a prerequisite to performing your role. In fact many telecommuters work longer hours and are more productive due to less interruptions.

Could do better with rooting out underperformers

London, England (UK)

ProsFlexible working hours. Clear company focus and plan for growth.

ConsThe company is always working on cutting inefficiencies but unfortunately doing it the wrong way. They are unable to get rid of underperformers whom they move about from department to department (one has been there for 15 years and wreaks havoc wherever he is sent), heavily damaging existing teams' operations and performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow that you value your employees: look at actual performance and not rely on people who blow their own trumpet. Show leadership by getting rid of underperformers. If a wrong hiring decision has been made, you are the one who can reverse it.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Specialist

Sales Specialist (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsRelaxed working environment & some market-leading products

ConsCompany struggling to meaningfully expand beyond core proposition - no real decisions made outside US.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to devolve decision-making authority to some non-US management.

Gained the best experience from M* in a year.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsGreat friendly/casual culture and atmosphere. The office environment is not made to feel overly corporate which is great. The most senior members of management share the office space with all other employees, the company does not put extreme amounts of emphasis on hierarchy.

ConsSalary is a little below average.
    Not much room for growth.
    All major decisions are made in the US, time differences makes communications quite difficult.

In transition but overall good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsVery friendly and supportive environment. Morningstar tries to be flexible around working time, employee events and low hierarchies. People are expected to be quite self-dependent, which in my view is a plus.

ConsFeels like a mid-sized company stuck in start-up structure. But seems like that is being addressed now. The company has grown a lot over the years and the structure isn't made for a larger company but there is some reorganisation going on. There aren't redundancies, only changes in reporting lines but it's been a bit confusing for quite some time impacting morale. That said, it's still a pretty good company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is a great company with great potential but communication with employees outside of Chicago isn't always great and make sure you don't lose the performance culture.

Very supportive and fantastic work life balance

London, England (UK)

ProsA very supportive work environment, great work life balance, opportunity to learn is unlimited

ConsA bit of a flat culture makes room for growth seem a little challenging.

Overrated - review is for London only

London, England (UK)

ProsRelaxed environment. Flexible working conditions. Senior management approachable.

ConsSenior management has no real power; decisions are made in a collegiate manner, resulting in delayed or no decision-making. Joe Mansueto preaches One Morningstar as the current motto. However, this does not work at all in recently acquired companies, where the corporate culture has nothing in common with other parts of Morningstar: occasional unprofessional behavious from some employees (racist jokes, personal attacks).

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not hide behind corporate lingo and be honest with your employees. Many good, experienced employees are dissatisfied, planning to leave or have already left. You are losing real professionals and left with mediocre employees. You value technical people, but do not keep ethics in check. You can have good technical people with ethics, which you seem to overlook.

Great people, good work life balance.

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsLoads of great people, lots of opportunities, good products, good work life balance. Joe Mansueto a genuinely inspirational chap.

Cons- International growth is curtailed a little by decision makers lack of international experience (we say 'global', but we don't really do it as well as we could).
    - What is up with the US weighted benefit system! I want my sabbatical!

Advice to Senior ManagementCost consciousness is sensible and inevitable in the current climate (2012/13), but we are cutting in to muscle in some teams, and leaving lots of fat in others. We really should me more intelligent about where to make savings (bloated teams of developers coding in circles), and where those savings will actually result in costing more (travel to visit clients / train client facing staff).

Intern Review

Summer Data Analyst (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

Prosgreat people (well, at least at the place I had my intern, which is at London), a lot of them even don't graduate with bus degrees (with history majors, etc.) and they're very friendly, humorous and helpful. Sort of laid back/relaxing work culture. supervisor values intern's creativity.

Consopen space at work, so you need to have the ability to fend off noises from anywhere

Worked for Morningstar? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Morningstar reviews and ratings in London, England — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Morningstar CEO Joe Mansueto. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Morningstar employees.