Morningstar

Morningstar Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Morningstar Chairman and CEO Joe Mansueto

Joe Mansueto

Pros
  • Full of friendly co-workers, allows great work-life balance(in 50 reviews)

• Good and flexible working hours(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay (as an analyst) compared to other companies in the financial industry(in 12 reviews)

• High staff turnover at all levels including senior management(in 12 reviews)

Great experience, nice people to work with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosthe people here are great and the culture is very laid back, unlike any other company I have worked for. I love the vacation policy and it is nice to know the company wants you to come to work, do your work, and then go home and have a life. there is no required face time, nor did I ever feel like I needed to stay longer than what my work too in order to be there

Conshard career progression, there are so issues with moving up in this company

Advice to Senior Managementhire from within, you look outside for talent but that is not always the right answer.

Not too shabby

ProsSabbatical available, good environment, unlimited vacation

ConsCorporate, no consistency across groups and no relationships in different groups in different cities

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't ask what the goals should be when they're already set by upper mgmnt. Hire more people

Project Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt is a best work place in Chicago. good balance of life and work.

ConsThe office is very nice. In the loop of Chicago. Offer free soft drink. Have many party.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great work-life balance

Project Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsPeople are very nice, the organization is flat. It's easy to ask for time off. Nice office, free bagel breakfast on Wed.

ConsThe pay is under industry average. And most of the jobs are very boring, lack of challenges. If you are an ambitious person, don't go there.

Good culture, light comp

Equity Analyst (Current Employee)

Prosculture, people, lifestyle, company values, benefits

Conslack of upward mobility, pay, communication

Great Insurance, Good Bagels, Poor Middle Management

Designer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsInsurance - Bagel Day - Summer Hours

ConsTerribly poor, under qualified middle management. Lack of oversight. No one is ever on the same page in terms of project intent, and deadlines. Way too many managers watching YouTube. They work young developers, programers, and designers to the bone with no recognition for their hard work. I have worked several times overnight due to the manager’s constant nagging on finishing the project only to find out there was no set deadline whatsoever. No apology from the manager, just an "oops!".

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck on the qualifications of your middle management. They spend too much time on either YouTube, Zappos, or J.Crew websites.

great work/life balance; compensation is low and inconsistent

(Current Employee)

Prosgood work/life balance, benefits, training, volunteer opportunities
    engaged employees

ConsManagers instead appears to over-prioritize its method (its pillars) and its growth push far more than its employees.

Growth opportunities are limited for analysts who do not want to go into people-management roles. This results in employees jumping ship entirely at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees by raising compensation to market levels. Higher retention levels will save on training and recruiting. More reasonable comp will also allow employees feel they are fairly valued.

Great work place, which doesn't like edge technology

Developer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsNot much pressure, Nice people

Constoo much managers, ignores developers' work

Advice to Senior Managementplease hire more developers

Good company, not great for tech career

Software Developer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe company has a fun, young culture and the people are above average in their passion and talent.

ConsThe technology teams in general err on the side of mediocre and stand-outs who a really passionate about tech are few and far between.

Terrible

Prosvery bad place to work. gosip, backstabbing, art and music instead of financial background

ConsTerrible: outdated, underpaid, overworked, under producing bunch of people

Advice to Senior Managementterrible

Worked for Morningstar? Contribute to the Community!