Morningstar Reviews

332 reviews filtered by
3.4
Morningstar Chairman and CEO Joe Mansueto
Joe Mansueto

Pros
  • Great work/life balance as most people work no more than 45-50 hours per week and casual dress code (in 61 reviews)

• The work environment is terrific: very collaborative, with a lot of smart people employed there (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • High staff turnover at all levels including senior management (in 14 reviews)

• Very low pay (as an analyst) compared to other companies in the financial industry (in 11 reviews)

Great people to work with

I have been working at Morningstar

Pros

Provide good opportunities to grow career wise

Cons

Not as transparent as they claim to be

Joe is always one of the greatest personality to work for, even when the company could have lost its way at the time

I worked at Morningstar

Pros

Sabbatical and flexible working schedules, if one's manager chains honor it.

Payment is not bad at all especially in consideration of local economy, everyone's accomplishment and real "productive" workload. The senior executives and sales, account managers can make a lot even in bad years, easily dwarfing what the others like developers or IT staffs can aspire on the first line. Taking the annual bonus expense from 10-K and divide by these groups one can easily figure out.

Bagels Wednesday etc.

Lastly and most importantly, Joe is always one of the greatest personality to work for.

Cons

Dysfunctional internal politics at the time I left. Smart people, particularly newly minted senior managers, are not shy about boasting all the benefits and opportunities they enjoy with little real products or productivity to deliver. The morale was rather low so there were an exodus of good people during the period.

Advice to Management

It was one of the best company to work in Chicago. But by the time the company hired consultant to aggressively "make to" all the tens of best companies ranking finalists, something was clearly wrong. Morale were low and under-table infighting were ferocious. Don't even mention about blatant witch-hunting and favoritism. It was classic principal–agent problem. Hopefully Morningstar already found its root and value back.

Used to be a good place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work-life balance, sabbatical, office space, party, benefits, casual dress code...actually, lots of this kind of pros. It is highly recommended to a new hand - much less pressure, while still have rooms to learn and grow - if you want.

Cons

Take your time to read the cons from the reviews chain. I was proud of being a member of a great family, but now I am sad to say that it lost. Lower and lower employee morale makes it harder and harder to turn back to be a good company.

Good place to work.

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible working hours;
    Good insurance;
    3 weeks annual vocation + 6 weeks sabbatical every four years;
    Colleagues are friendly and easygoing;
    HRs are quite formal and helpful;

Cons

Salary and bonus are a bit low compared with the market;
    Salary increase percentage is a bit low.

used to be great

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

benefits are still good though many cuts over the years.
    time off policy is still the same and it's still the best perk.

Cons

many more layers of management and more bureaucracy now.
    not as innovative or in the forefront of technology any more.
    pay is below standard.

Unique working environment but one you need to want to work in. No offices, all employees sit in the same type of space

Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Morningstar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and good company values.

Cons

You need to move around a lot to get any kind of salary bump, Management is not very open to new ideas which is very different than what they claim .

Left a distinctly bad taste in my mouth after 8 years of service.

Former Employee - Product Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Morningstar full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

During my time Morningstar offered a good opportunity for those hungry to grow to learn and be given more responsibilities at a young age than you may find in other organizations.

I think highly of Joe Mansueto, the CEO. His down-to-earth and Buffett-esque leadership style is laudable and I enjoyed the interactions I had with him during my tenure.

Cons

Compensation is quite poor - I more than doubled my base salary by going to a startup. It's only after several years after getting a market correction that I realize how poor my compensation had been relative to the market during my career at Morningstar.

Moreover, the company's extremely lopsided management of tuition reimbursement left me with a very large repayment (tens of thousands) when I had previously been recruited with promises of tuition assistance as a portion of my compensation (with no requirement for paying back). Adding salt to the wounds, I have I have friends and colleagues from Morningstar who weren't asked to pay back anything at all at the time they left the organization while I will continue to pay the company back years after my employment ended.

Through this all Morningstar taught me a valuable lesson - you need to look out for yourself and not expect that the company is going to give you a moment of thought/consideration the moment it isn't intrinsically motivated to do so. It was a hard lesson to learn and was very disappointing after having spent nearly a third of my life as a high-performer at this company.

Advice to Management

You will continue to lose your best talent to organizations willing to pay fair market value. Your promotion of higher education is distinctly at odds with your disinterest in compensating individuals for this investment and further increases your propensity for turnover. Additionally, you should remember that the way you treat these high performers at the time of exit has implications on your company's reputation.

Very good place to start you career

Current Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, nice and supportive.
    Covering many financial vehicles, many things to learn.
    good life/work balance

Cons

Not committing to growth, kind of stable.
    It is getting a little bureaucratic

Good for a start, not the place to grow

Current Employee - Data Analyst
    Current Employee - Data Analyst

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People are fantastic, no limits to time off, one of the best work life balances out there. Office is gorgeous.

Cons

Compensation for the rotational program is far from competitive, not a driven or performance oriented culture. Very slow environment to get things accomplished in. Much of middle management is a result of legacy and an unwillingness to make tough decisions around trimming dead weight.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to make tough decisions when it comes to bringing strategy and hr policies into the 21st century. There are some huge opportunities for future growth that will be missed out on due to current business practices/inefficiencies.

not what it seems

I worked at Morningstar

Pros

out of college great transition to working in financial services. also if you are new to this country.
    best for introverts

Cons

passive aggressive style works well - new ideas are not acted on

Advice to Management

take off the rose colored glasses