Morningstar

Updated January 22, 2015
3.3

Morningstar Chairman and CEO Joe Mansueto
Joe Mansueto

Pros
  • Great work/life balance as most people work no more than 45-50 hours per week and casual dress code (in 61 reviews)

• The work environment is terrific: very collaborative, with a lot of smart people employed there (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • High staff turnover at all levels including senior management (in 14 reviews)

• Very low pay (as an analyst) compared to other companies in the financial industry (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Good work life balance and benefits... sacrificing pay

I worked at Morningstar

Pros

Great people; casual environment; smart employees; overall good corporate culture; good convenient office location; benefits; unlimited paid vacation and sabbatical

Cons

Pay was very slow moving; bonuses made full take home pretty volatile; being such a large firm accountability was lacking a bit and some colleagues skated by not doing much

Use to be a great place to work.... now not so much

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It offers great work-life balance and is very flexible when you need time off.

Cons

As the company has grown it has become more "corporate" and lost a lot of the great things about it. It use to feel like working at a startup but now it is hard to get new ideas/innovations done with all the layers of managers etc. The company is too occupied with being rated as one of the top places to work and when those yearly surveys come out they keep encouraging their employees to rate them high.

Seems like every year or so there is a new major reorganization that is very frustrating so would be nice to have a longer term vision. Also, lots of turnover in the executive roles.

Structured Credit Ratings

Former Employee - Vice President in Horsham, PA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Horsham, PA

I worked at Morningstar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours. As long as you can get your work done the hours are extremely flexible. Work on some institutional real estate. Travel frequently.

Cons

They take all the money that structured credit ratings makes and pump it into the entire Credit Ratings group. So the margins in structured credit are huge but they operate under a one morningstar policy that take those margins and spreads them around to other groups that aren't as profitable.

Understand where your bread is buttered. The turnover has been high recently because management fails to recognize (via bonus pool) where the money for structured credit ratings is coming from.

Morningstar is by far the best company I've had the opportunity to work for.

Current Employee - Client Solutions Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Client Solutions Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar

Pros

Flexible schedule, bagel day, great benefits, casual dress, nice office space, unlimited beverages on every floor, etc!

Cons

Unclear path for career growth

Analyst

Current Employee - Equity Analyst
    Current Employee - Equity Analyst

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to be the point person on a list as a relatively junior analyst. Freedom to research any area of interest under your coverage list.

Cons

Lack of resources for traveling and researching companies and industries. Straddling costs for trying to serve multiple end markets.

Best days are behind it

I worked at Morningstar full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great brand, generally nice people.

Cons

Product pipeline for new revenue sources is very dry. No real process for effective strategic planning or new product development. The have software, data and consulting. But...fundamentally they are a research company with a great brand. Therein lies the strength and most limiting self imposed weakness.

Great Place to Learn

I worked at Morningstar

Pros

The opportunity to learn, especially for entry level is great. People are very friendly and are very approachable. Work-life balance is definitely a perk.

Cons

I wouldn't say there are many cons. The only observation I have is that I did not see many development or promotion opportunities.

Great work/life balance, somewhat low salary.

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Oakland, MD
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Oakland, MD

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoy working at Morningstar. This company provides an extremely laid-back atmosphere. The work/life balance is wonderful, and my typical workweek is 40-50 hours with a casual dress code, which is great. The work is interesting and recognition is provided by supervision. And the vacation, sabbatical, and health/401k benefits are very competitive and practical. Morningstar provides an opportunity to learn and grow; however,...

Cons

As a non-Chicago employee, I feel our growth opportunities are not as great. We have some opportunity for growth, but I feel that, as a world-wide company, any position should be available to any employee.

The salaries are just okay. We do have a lot of added benefits, but money talks, and our salaries are definitely below industry averages for experience level. As a result, employee turnover is relatively high.

Improve compensation and provide more growth opportunities for all employees. I know that better compensation will help motivate employees and retain talent.

Hit the ground running, and impressive people!

I have been working at Morningstar

Pros

Smart people dedicated to the mission. True commitment and collaboration. Felt immediately welcome and was able to add value immediately. Work load is not light, doing great things takes effort and the people at Morningstar that I have encountered are truly committed to improving what we do and innovating for the betterment of the company. Benefits are better than I have had before, very competitive and practical.

Cons

We want to do so much that we probably need to makes choices so our time is focused on high value activity.

Keep doing s great job communicating, and show empathy where we have high burn areas that need relief. Keep inspiring as you already do so well.

Great work/life balance only partly offsets well below average industry compensation

Current Employee - Equity Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Equity Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Laid-back, low pressure atmosphere. Great work/life balance as most people work no more than 45-50 hours per week and casual dress code. Highly intelligent equity and credit analyst peer group. Intellectually stimulating work with significant responsibilities and opportunity to learn. Research business is growing and doing quite well.

Cons

Comp, comp, comp. Did I mention comp? Salaries are okay, but bonuses are a joke... total comp 30%-50% below industry averages for experience level. "One Morningstar" means that our group is not properly rewarded for our superior efforts and higher levels of profitability & growth. Very tight budgets mean limited resources to do job properly (research tools, research data, travel). Pay does not scale very well as one moves up in the department or company. To put it simply, Morningstar is cheap. As a result, employee turnover is relatively high.

Improve compensation and provide greater incentives to better motivate employees and retain talent.