Morningstar

Updated December 11, 2014
3.3

Morningstar Chairman and CEO Joe Mansueto
Joe Mansueto

Pros
  • Great work/life balance as most people work no more than 45-50 hours per week and casual dress code (in 61 reviews)

• The work environment is terrific: very collaborative, with a lot of smart people employed there (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • High staff turnover at all levels including senior management (in 14 reviews)

• Very low pay (as an analyst) compared to other companies in the financial industry (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Morningstar is by far the best company I've had the opportunity to work for.

Current Employee - Client Solutions Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Client Solutions Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar

Pros

Flexible schedule, bagel day, great benefits, casual dress, nice office space, unlimited beverages on every floor, etc!

Cons

Unclear path for career growth

Data Analyst Intern

I have been working at Morningstar

Pros

Very nice environment, colleagues very friendly, easy going, no dress code( can come as casual) .

Cons

Managers should be more present for the team.
    Phew team meetings / catch up.
    Have to request for training.

Analyst

Current Employee - Equity Analyst
    Current Employee - Equity Analyst

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to be the point person on a list as a relatively junior analyst. Freedom to research any area of interest under your coverage list.

Cons

Lack of resources for traveling and researching companies and industries. Straddling costs for trying to serve multiple end markets.

Best days are behind it

I worked at Morningstar full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great brand, generally nice people.

Cons

Product pipeline for new revenue sources is very dry. No real process for effective strategic planning or new product development. The have software, data and consulting. But...fundamentally they are a research company with a great brand. Therein lies the strength and most limiting self imposed weakness.

Worth the investment

I worked at Morningstar (less than an year)

Pros

Good team spiring and company etho

Cons

Limited career progression and compenstaion rewards is to be desired

very bad interview process

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Mumbai (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Mumbai (India)

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (less than an year)

Pros

.no pros here should not join this company

Cons

work pressure.very bad hr process they make fool

Great Place to Learn

I worked at Morningstar

Pros

The opportunity to learn, especially for entry level is great. People are very friendly and are very approachable. Work-life balance is definitely a perk.

Cons

I wouldn't say there are many cons. The only observation I have is that I did not see many development or promotion opportunities.

Great work/life balance, somewhat low salary.

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Oakland, MD
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Oakland, MD

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoy working at Morningstar. This company provides an extremely laid-back atmosphere. The work/life balance is wonderful, and my typical workweek is 40-50 hours with a casual dress code, which is great. The work is interesting and recognition is provided by supervision. And the vacation, sabbatical, and health/401k benefits are very competitive and practical. Morningstar provides an opportunity to learn and grow; however,...

Cons

As a non-Chicago employee, I feel our growth opportunities are not as great. We have some opportunity for growth, but I feel that, as a world-wide company, any position should be available to any employee.

The salaries are just okay. We do have a lot of added benefits, but money talks, and our salaries are definitely below industry averages for experience level. As a result, employee turnover is relatively high.

Improve compensation and provide more growth opportunities for all employees. I know that better compensation will help motivate employees and retain talent.

Good company, Exposure to equity & mutual funds industry

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Vāshi (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Vāshi (India)

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible timings, Good work environment, good management, overall great place to work.

Cons

Human resource is a big mess. With lot of issues in attendance, salary calculations, managing recruitment etc.
    No onsite opportunities. There are good projects, but If you land into a wrong team(maintenance projects), you are left with no scope for improvement and will mess you life resolving issues with no documentation to refer.

Great work/life balance only partly offsets well below average industry compensation

Current Employee - Equity Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Equity Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Laid-back, low pressure atmosphere. Great work/life balance as most people work no more than 45-50 hours per week and casual dress code. Highly intelligent equity and credit analyst peer group. Intellectually stimulating work with significant responsibilities and opportunity to learn. Research business is growing and doing quite well.

Cons

Comp, comp, comp. Did I mention comp? Salaries are okay, but bonuses are a joke... total comp 30%-50% below industry averages for experience level. "One Morningstar" means that our group is not properly rewarded for our superior efforts and higher levels of profitability & growth. Very tight budgets mean limited resources to do job properly (research tools, research data, travel). Pay does not scale very well as one moves up in the department or company. To put it simply, Morningstar is cheap. As a result, employee turnover is relatively high.

Improve compensation and provide greater incentives to better motivate employees and retain talent.