Morningstar Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Good company to work for first up

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Morningstar full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very good values. Stable job. Above average 401K match besides other benefits. If you are a finance professional there is a lot you can learn at Morningstar.

Cons

Lack of growth once you reach team lead/manager. Pay is not up to market standards.

Advice to Management

Trust your own people from with in. Outsiders are drawing big pay. But has done very little so far.

Gradually Derailing

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Summer hours, out-performing is easy, limited hours each week, work life balance, nice every-day perks. Our company has always been a gem in the investment industry for its limited hours and relaxed environment which are still consistently present at the company. Expect to work less than 45 hour weeks typically and enjoy the free soft drinks, tea and coffee (and bagels on Wednesdays). I think generally speaking, our managers mean well and do care about their employee's wellness.

Cons

Compensation packages, limited upward mobility, strategy inconsistency, regular corporate missteps, increasingly opaque. Over time, Morningstar is losing touch with its employee base. Many coworkers sit with hardly anything to do, and yet our headcount is exploding YoY. Projects regularly stall without adequate developers (or developers that are required to actually work at work) and during vacation season, people lose all sense of delivering what's necessary to our clients in a timely fashion. Simmering resent is perhaps as widespread as it's ever been during my tenure with the company - at face value everybody is happy, but when you talk to anybody over details, people are truly miserable. Limited hours sounds great, but this slack in employee time results in employees feeling underutilized and underappreciated. Add to this substantially sub-par pay packages and our hard working, innovative and bright employees are the ones leaving the firm. Often the long-term employees here are either high ranking and loaded with stock (very smart as well) or they're manipulators of the system who feel free to take 4-6 weeks of vacation a year and move slowly at best when they're on the job. A note for the ambitious, you will be utterly disappointed here. A specific note for future MDPs (Morningstar Development Program candidates), expect no negotiation salaries, dictated position changes, no pay increases with promotions, and annual raises that trail inflation.

Advice to Management

Take your own advice regarding organic growth and stop the frothy M&A, create room for employees to grow vertically, pay attention to your employees that want more work and reward them. Joe, please take your own advice and select gritty candidates - not employees who are collecting a paycheck for 35 hours a week.

Good Company, Great Values

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting work, good work/life balance, fair total compensation (benefits, pay, bonus), open vacation policy, paid sabbatical every four years, casual modern and laid-back work environment, great people

Cons

Some people promoted to middle management lack training and experience though efforts are being made for improvement in that area. Firing people is a complicated and difficult process; there are underperformers that have checked out and drag down the rest of the team. New hires fresh out of college (called MDPs) receive special treatment that breeds resentment in experienced employees with the company for many years.

Good company overall

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very entrepreneurial, very good work culture and company values. Lots of opprtunity to move around the company to gain varied experience.

Cons

Can be a little too insular. With so many small teams, lots of duplication of efforts, not as efficient as it could be.

6. Good culture company, but some drawbacks...

I have been working at Morningstar

Pros

work and life balance, health benefit is great

Cons

salary is too low in the industry for the same position.

An OK place to work

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Morningstar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Office environment - Overall laid-back culture and work-life balance

Cons

- the work nature was boring, of course it varies by team - the company doesn't value each individual employee especially for the entry level. You get a feeling that they will be just as fine with or without you - If you want to really learn and grow and challenge yourself, this is not a place for you - HR team not friendly and helpful - Overall culture is dull

Advice to Management

Think about the high turn over ratio among entry level employees. People don't stay for a reason. The lack of personal care given to the employees, work itself, career progression prospective, overall culture..all play in. Feeling valued and making impacts are what keeps people loyal and sticking with the company. Losing talents, maybe not as visible, are real big costs to the company.

Great experience, nice people to work with

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Morningstar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the people here are great and the culture is very laid back, unlike any other company I have worked for. I love the vacation policy and it is nice to know the company wants you to come to work, do your work, and then go home and have a life. there is no required face time, nor did I ever feel like I needed to stay longer than what my work too in order to be there

Cons

hard career progression, there are so issues with moving up in this company

Advice to Management

hire from within, you look outside for talent but that is not always the right answer.

Not too shabby

I have been working at Morningstar full-time

Pros

Sabbatical available, good environment, unlimited vacation

Cons

Corporate, no consistency across groups and no relationships in different groups in different cities

Advice to Management

Don't ask what the goals should be when they're already set by upper mgmnt. Hire more people

Great work-life balance

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are very nice, the organization is flat. It's easy to ask for time off. Nice office, free bagel breakfast on Wed.

Cons

The pay is under industry average. And most of the jobs are very boring, lack of challenges. If you are an ambitious person, don't go there.

11. Project Manager

I worked at Morningstar full-time

Pros

It is a best work place in Chicago. good balance of life and work.

Cons

The office is very nice. In the loop of Chicago. Offer free soft drink. Have many party.

RSS Feed </> Embed