Morningstar

Joe Mansueto

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Experience while working at Morningstar

I worked at Morningstar full-time

ProsInteresting products, some very clever people globally. Good branding and designs.

ConsCulture - negative and back stabbing. No career path. Lack of leadership, trust and motivation. Self interests surpass the interests of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk former employees why they left to get a better understanding of internal issues.

Dishonest company, the only good review is written by Morningstar itself.

I worked at Morningstar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- You get paid
- They have a roof so you don't get wet when it rains
- They have running water in the taps.

Cons- dishonest and incompetent HR
- incompetent management
- low pay
- if you are in the click group, then you will be promoted, otherwise forget it.
- backstabbing political animals
- lots of propaganda about how great it is, in fact its terrible
- if you are serious about your career, do not apply to work here, you will be used and thrown away.
- terrible attitude towards staff from management who will smile at your face and take the first opportunity to put you down around other staff or management.
- lying and dishonest managers who are only looking after their own career advancement.
- I cannot repeat how bad and dishonest the HR staff are.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and see whats really happening in your company Joe. Management should all be sent on a basic 'how to manage people 101' course. Sack your entire HR staff as they are incompetent, in breach of most privacy laws (especially the Sydney branch) and solely interested in their own advancement. Review your current managers and see how they actually got to their position. Was it due to their ability, or the fact that the person who promoted them 'liked them'.
Allow people to do their jobs instead of letting fools decide how things should work.

Flag Review

Morningstar Krista Nannery, Human Resources responded to this review

Jan 24, 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback, although I was disappointed to read what you wrote. Please contact me directly and share your experience.

Misled, regional office that is not observing group culture and values

Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Morningstar full-time for more than a year

ProsSome friendly people. A few, not many, would went out of their way to help.

ConsIncompetent and dishonest line manager. Over promised on opportunities within the group. Executive apathy. Below market average salary. Lack of empathy from HR. Lack of accountability and transparency. High staff turnover at all levels including senior management. Inequitable treatment of staff in the same role and performing at similar level. Favoritism appears rife.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating staff grievance as an attack to the company and start looking at the source of problems.

It was a great learning experience.

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Morningstar

ProsThe people at Morningstar are extremely helpful. Everyone is more than willing to assist a fellow coworker. It is an extremely relaxed environment with even senior members out on the floor.

ConsThe departments are very specialized

Flexible work environment - great long term benefits

Software Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Morningstar

ProsOpportunities to work with different technologies - .NET, Java, Scala, Web Service. Have opportunities to work with web based systems and protocol.

ConsMostly data oriented systems. Not much to learn about Business Process or workflow. Database are maintained by DB team, so you are confined to work in Application layer only.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the software systems Service Oriented with latest technologies. Reduce the number of applications to minimize support works, fully automate different systems where still manual works involved. Great Technical Leadership required.

Underpaid, but can wear jeans to work.

Mutual Fund Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Morningstar

Proscasual, flexible work environment- management is easy about letting you take time, or work varying hours.

Consvery underpaid relative to the market (people tend to leave for 50% raises to work elsewhere). No career planning, little transparency in how salaries/travel are determined.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more.

Worked for Morningstar? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Morningstar reviews and ratings in Sydney — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Morningstar CEO Joe Mansueto. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Morningstar employees.