Morpheus Media

Updated June 5, 2014
Updated June 5, 2014
3.4

Shenan Reed

Breeding ground of great work and talent

I have been working at Morpheus Media full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Super strong internal culture. I love the people I work with. Everyone enjoys being a part of the same team, and that carries through when working on more challenging projects. There is also so much opportunity to learn. There are very few people that come to Morpheus that don't learn exponentially more than places they come from, or go to in the future. There's honestly no better place to go to become a well rounded, comprehensive digital marketer. For those people looking to learn, be challenged daily (in more positive ways than negative), and to become an expert, this is an ideal place. Also - salaries are competitive and the benefits program is substantial (particularly great health benefits, flexible and great vacation policy, dog friendly). Morpheus is truly a place that offers opportunities to those who want to take them.

Cons

Agency is in a process of regrowth. A lot of internal changes have happened over the last year, and there has been a lot of shifting with Senior level talent.

Fun Place - Great People

Current Employee - Senior Strategist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Strategist in New York, NY

I have been working at Morpheus Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like the work I do here and get to work with really talented people. My clients are high profile and I have a lot of ownership over work products. Growth can be fast paced if you put in the work/hours. There's a stocked kitchen, full benefits, ping pong table, work from home policy, dogs allowed in the office, a lounge for naps, and yoga on Fridays.

Cons

Hours are sometimes long - agency life....

Retain key talent and continue to win cool business

Amazing atmosphere, needs some buttoning up

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Morpheus Media full-time

Pros

Opportunity to explore other areas of interest, camaraderie, office dogs, relaxed environment, friendly people. Great place to go if interested in managing digital retail marketing initiatives. Morpheus has thriving, top-tier Analytics, Social, and SEO departments. Great clients, too.

Cons

At times it's felt like no one's at the wheel, but I think that's getting better due to shifts in senior management. Need to do better at CRM and upselling amazing client base already in place.

Excellent place to work

I have been working at Morpheus Media full-time

Pros

Strong culture, variety of talented individuals across agency, opportunity to try new and emerging technologies and strategies, flexible hours, opportunity for rapid career growth, friendly clients, pet friendly, paid health benefits

Cons

Typical woes of working in a digital agency like heavy workload, early / late calls, and experiences a lot of changes because of varying client rosters

Focus on developing talent and leaders

One of the harder companies I've worked at

I worked at Morpheus Media full-time

Pros

People were cool... for the most part. Clients (brands) had cache. Gained a lot of experience quickly for entry-level positions.

Cons

Grew too quickly. Instead of investing in getting experienced people from other agencies for senior positions, people were promoted internally who were not prepared to take on the responsibilities and didn't know how to manage a team (but knew how to manage a client or go through the motions of the job). "Reviews" were not helpful. People cared about the partying and felt entitled to benefits from sales teams. Lots of inter-office relationships and drama. Pay was really low. Bad work/life balance. Over-resourced and under-staffed.

Most senior managers were not equipped to support their teams and helping with their career. Don't be cheap - invest in good people.

Sinking Ship. Work there at your own risk.

I worked at Morpheus Media full-time

Pros

Used to be a growing company with a great culture, lax atmosphere, pet friendly, and lots of room to move up if you worked hard. Those days are, sadly, over.

Cons

There is really no direction from upper management. No real leadership to try to rebuild the company. Clients have left in droves, including the biggest. Company used to be over 100 people, now its down to 40. Those are left are going through the motion, but not really happy - everyone talks about morale being low but nothing is done to fix it. Little room to move up since there is only new small clients.

Set a direction and communicate more

On the cutting edge of Social Media

I worked at Morpheus Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun, young environment, bright team, after work activities

Cons

Hard to get promotions, difficult clients

If I moved back to NY, I'd definitely try to work at Morpheus again

I worked at Morpheus Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome people, awesome boss, great company culture, fun parties, cool loft space, great location with easy access to the subway, lots of places to eat nearby and of course, happy hour joints!

Cons

Now that they are with CREATETHEGROUP, I'm not exactly sure what it's like to work there but since Shenan is still there I'm sure it's still pretty great.

Growing Again

I have been working at Morpheus Media full-time

Pros

Full health insurance, Yoga classes, haircuts, birthday cupcakes, team outings, amazing clients, management wants people to be happy and will fight for you.

Cons

High turnover this year, but feels like they are turning a corner. Bought by CREATETHE Group in 2011 - has been harmful to morale and ability to service clients well. Shenan should be CEO of the group.

Continue to improve the review process and make sure there is a clear growth path in place for team members.

Good place to learn

I worked at Morpheus Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The team structures allow more junior employees to learn and advance professionally
    Employees are generally very collaborative and helpful
    Great brands to add to your resume

Cons

Salaries aren't competitive
    The management team has made some very questionable decisions, specifically about whom to promote, etc.
    There is some dead weight at the top

You might want to focus less on those that are vocal (complainers, beware) and actively seek out the opinions of those that might be more introverted. They're probably your biggest contributors anyway. Less time talking, more time doing.

Morpheus Media Photos