Morpho

Updated November 19, 2014
Updated November 19, 2014
2.7

Karen Bomba

A small to mid-sized company struggling through multiple ownership changes and a shrinking market

Current Employee - Anonymous Current Full-time Employee in Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Current Full-time Employee in Newark, CA

I have been working at Morpho full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It's important work (explosive detection). Most of the employees take their jobs very seriously and take pride in their roles preventing another terrorist attack. The pay isn't bad. It's not fantastic, but it's not bad either.

For mechanically inclined people, the technology is really interesting.

Cons

The company has changed dramatically in the last 10 years. The corporate ownership has changed twice in a short amount of time. Senior management has turned over several times. No culture has taken root. The majority of the employees are field service and are scattered all around the US. The company has failed to figure out how to include the remote employees in the corporate "morale" plan (assuming one actually exists).

Several of the comments posted by others on this page are accurate:
    1. There are two completely different companies: one at HQ, and everyone else. When you walk into HQ it's like visiting a different company.
    2. Raises (beyond annual 2% cost of living raises) / promotions are few and far between for most employees
    3. Policies and procedures are overly complicated, cumbersome, redundant, etc. Even by corporate standards.
    4. Individual departments do not coordinate.

Many of our problems are a result of the changing business environment. However, many are self induced.

Increased sales will resolve a lot of problems. Better be working on the "next big thing" !

Senior Executives Hire Their Unqualified Buddies For Management Positions

I have been working at Morpho

Pros

Able to work independently and own your work

Cons

There is so much paperwork (drowning in it) It is impossible to focus on quality with the extensive amount of documentation that has to be done and duplicated in several forms. You have to account for what you do every single hour you are working as if you are a 19 year old kid. . You also have to document that you took a mandatory lunch break. Your shift changes constantly-seriously. Management will hire their friends from the outside for Lead and Management positions before they will promote from within. Management also dictates who will get a raise and how much-NOT HR. There isn't a plan in plan for advancement (see why above) We have a Manager on staff who says that God has told him who he should hire. (We have MAJOR turnover and have also had an employee commit suicide who blasted an email to the entire company letting everyone know that his best is never good enough.)

Karen Bomba,
    I have never met you or seen you. I have never heard from you. Your company is failing. It is failing and will never be successful because policy and procedure doesn't exist in DFW. I have visited the California location and it is like night and day. The difference is so dramatic I wonder why you do nothing about it. Do you sit in France? ( Out-of-site/out-of-mind?) Human Resources is untrustworthy, non-existent, and unavailable to us. Executive Leadership does not have any communication skills and are unapproachable. The only time they will listen to you is if you are scratching their back. If you aren't their buddy, management will try to squeeze you out and make you quit. (As countless good employees have done.) I can't even count how many times I have asked to move up into management. I am educated and well qualified. I have to assume that you don't care. That's why your company is failing and this is why I feel you have failed me. You can build your company brand and image and make it look perfect, but there isn't anything that will ruin a brand more than poor public opinion and poor employee reviews.

Management does not care.

Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Morpho full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The salary was probably the only good thing about working there.

Cons

I had to work with other techs that had no clue about how to work on systems and still made the same salary as me. My manager seemed to go out of his way to give less than flattering reviews in order to keep the already terrible raises lower. Every issue that was raised to management was ignored. Added a new service contract which doubled or tripled workload with no extra compensation. The downtime between service calls was one of the only perks until the new contract went into effect. This company wastes an obscene amount of money training people who should not be around electricity, and then gets cheap if you want to expense a lunch when traveling to remote sites. Managers don't care.

Start acting like your company goes beyond the walls of HQ. Figure out if you want your techs to be good at fixing machines or good at redundant paperwork. In general, do better.

I work with Morpho for about 3 1/2 years great experience overall.

Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Miami, FL

I worked at Morpho full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They will to send you for training for growth.

Cons

Promotion do not come fast enough certain areas

keep communication open to worker

Management needs to take long look in the mirror

Current Employee - Field Service Technician
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician

I have been working at Morpho full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pays well...that is all there is on the pros side

Cons

no room for growth, managers bicker amongst themselves, terrible morale, low standards, managers use fear to manage. There is little that is good to say about this company. It is like two different companies in one, the management and other staff at our headquarters have no connection to what is happening in the field, and they don't care. The managers are more concerned about CYA than any real issues with their personnel. I guess they can do this stuff because they pay so well.

Management needs to start being concerned with their employees well-being.

Executive Assistant / Product Analyst

I worked at Morpho

Pros

I appreciate and respect the Leadership Team and the Manager's. All of the departments work together to succeed, hardworking group of people. It was a great team/company to be a part of and I miss seeing my friends/co-workers everyday!

Cons

There weren't many challenges that couldn't be overcome at MDI.

Keep the Leadership team visible!

Field service Engineer

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer

I worked at Morpho full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to work, but no room for growth

Cons

not too fun of Management

Very professional atmosphere

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Morpho full-time (less than an year)

Pros

safety procedures, high security, high-value systems

Cons

improved organization, streamline operations, extensive overtime

instructor training

The culture of layoffs

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Morpho full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are not many pros unfortunatlely. Great place to work 5 years ago.

Cons

Has history of laying off employees that have longevity in the company. The moral of employees are extremely low. Consistently losing market share

Top level management are steering the company in the wrong direction.

Good benefits, management is still figuring things out.

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Newark, CA

I have been working at Morpho full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

For all its problems, the company has gotten me through the recession while maintaining a middle class standard of living, which is better than a substantial number of people in the US have done. The benefits are pretty good; they actually have a retirement program, which seems to be a rarity anymore.

Cons

Safran took over the homeland security branch of GE (and named it Morpho Detection) just as the economy was tanking, so it’s hard to tell if things got worse because of the new company or the economy. There seemed to be a lot of bickering with the customer about the prices of service contracts and what is or is not covered. As field service person this led to me suddenly having to refuse to fix things that were once covered by the contract, which has caused strained relationships with the customer. They have been looking for ways to cut costs often resulting in back-door pay reductions, such as telling us we aren’t allowed work overtime but if something happens that requires more than 40-house of work, we’ll just have to figure out how to get it done without using overtime, which basically means they expect hourly to work as long as is necessary without getting to get paid any more for overtime even when the work week goes beyond 40 hours. There was a while where it seemed Email from management came with threats of termination for anyone who didn’t do what they were asking for. There were a lot of layoffs, playing musical managers and people suddenly disappearing without explanation. Things seem to have calmed down a bit for the last few months. I hope it’s a sign that they are getting their acts together as opposed to just a temporary lull.