Morris Communications Reviews

1. Great Company!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Augusta, GA

I worked at Morris Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities to move up within the company. Benefits OK and paid time off is pretty generous.

Cons

Seems to be a lot of employee turnover, positions created, then positions eliminated, work responsibilities seem to shift a lot.

2. Working for a Morris Communications group or brand is to know what it means to work where "the employee comes last.

Former Employee - Creative Director
    Former Employee - Creative Director

I worked at Morris Communications

Pros

They pay such little attention to their teams and facilities that the only pro is you work anonymously so no micro management.

Cons

Morris corporate plays such bare bones business that office units go without proper tools or healthy environments. A media leader they are NOT.

Advice to Management

Pull your noses out of the air from your fat cat salaries every once in awhile and take a look at who has helped you get there and helps you stay there.

3. Frustrating

Former Employee - Ops Manager in Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Ops Manager in Augusta, GA

I worked at Morris Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Had an overall good team that reported to me.

Cons

New GM seized an opportunity to terminate me in a slick fashion. I told an employee that she would be meeting with HR the next day to discuss employment opportunities with the Augusta Chronicle. The GM had told them all 2 weeks prior that we would be downsizing the department by 2. Fired me, the boas of the employee, for letting her know about the meeting with HR. I was subsequently told by HR that managers were held to a higher standard. Ok, I've seen a manager get slapped on the wrist for harassment and a director that still had his job after a dui arrest was published in The Jail Report. Seriously. Reached out to upper mgmt after the fact and they don't have the nerve to respond.

Advice to Management

I'm sure you can sleep at night. Remember I held MSD together while it took you 4 months to hire a new GM and then I get railroaded. Stay classy.

5. Great environment to work in, while the salaries may not be top end, the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

Current Employee - Systems Support Specialist in Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Systems Support Specialist in Augusta, GA

I have been working at Morris Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Liberal time off, flexible hours, understanding management and upper management. Overall a VERY positive environment to work in. Great opportunity to advance, WHEN POSITIONS BECOME AVAILABLE (see cons)

Cons

Leadership can be a bit passive in certain situations. Compensation could be better, but overall, great package. People tend to stay in positions FOREVER, so can be a while for a position to open for promotion.

6. good experience within each market but corporate is a nightmare and out of touch

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Morris Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great office environment and colleagues were very professional. decent work life balance. you get great experience in the tourism and travel industry.

Cons

management is totally out of touch. vastly underpaid compared to the market and give out no raises nor any reviews. no leadership from the top they don't care about growing their employees. its a lot of cut and replace if you are not making numbers. everything is all about the numbers. no budgets for anything. do not give the sales team the tools they need to be very successful.

Advice to Management

no personal growth for employees hurts morale. could spend a little more money of taking care of your employees who are overworked currently anyway. nickle and diming everything is frustrating and again hurts morale that the corporation is not supporting their employees.

7. Ok.

Former Employee - Associate Art Director in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Associate Art Director in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Morris Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers and location in Charlotte was great.

Cons

Pay is not competitive relative to similar publishing companies.

Old media company out of touch with new world media technology.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Augusta, GA

I worked at Morris Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Office was nice.

Cons

Little investment in new publishing technology. Was like pulling teeth to get a broken computer replaced. Very slow decision making process, a lot "red tape" with a over staffed executive group. Meetings to discuss having meetings. By the time a decision is made the world (competitors and customers) have leap-frogged ahead. Downtown Augusta is a nasty pit and I never really felt safe there even during the day. Family owned company with typical dysfunctional family dynamics.

Advice to Management

Get lean and mean with the executive staff. Streamline the decision making process so company can be nimble and responsive in a fast changing media business environment. Listen and act quickly on input from front line employees.

Good company. Tough industry.

I worked at Morris Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of resources to make the sale.
    Competitive pay.

Cons

Tough industry nationwide.
    Not a fan of some of the management.

10. Management can be funky

Former Employee - Advertising Department in Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Advertising Department in Augusta, GA

I worked at Morris Communications full-time

Pros

Interesting place to work. There is always something new and there are benifits

Cons

Management is strange. People get shuffled around easily. Lay off's are not uncommon.

A company that does not value their employees where it counts

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Morris Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Talented, good people across the divisions--everyone is friendly and helpful

In my division, there is opportunity to innovate, which has been important in publishing's uncertain environment lately, but there is little support for technical innovation at the corporate level

Publishing provides interesting, satisfying work, no matter how discouraging the work environment is

Cons

Salary cuts and no raises for 6 years has resulted in very low morale and many of those good, talented people have jumped ship.

Corporate micromanagement has made it impossible to replace staff positions. And forget promoting from within--this is not encouraged--or you get a promotion with no increase, which is really about taking on more work and responsibility for the same pay. The message is: If you are a manager, you are not trusted to make any decisions for your staff. In general, as an employee, you are not valued here.

Bad corporate business decisions have led to waste and misuse of valuable resources. Technical resources, both hardware and people, have been gutted. Very sad.

Advice to Management

Publishing as an industry is still in rough waters, but to succeed, you need to identify your most valuable assets and steer your resources to them. Your assets are the talented, hard working people who continue to create and produce high quality content. Identify the people who have the proven skills and vision to move your company forward, and give them the trust and tools to innovate. Or, continue to distrust and devalue your employees and you will continue to decline.

Morris Communications Photos