Morris, Hall & Kinghorn

1 Rating

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Personnel Director in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Personnel Director in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Morris, Hall & Kinghorn full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Clients are typically easy to work with.
    Teamwork in and between departments.

Cons

Like most companies, hit by the economy, but we are still doing our best!

Good company, but very frustrating working experience

I worked at Morris, Hall & Kinghorn

Pros

Overall, the people are really good people and there were very few people that were a problem.

They are flexible with family occurrences, if your child is sick and you have to leave to pick them up they are very understanding and family oriented. I really appreciated that and never felt like they were upset at me for having to leave or getting in a bit late, as long as I notified them of the situation.

They do try, I really think they do. But lawyers aren't necessarily great business people, but they think they are and it sometimes gets in the way. I think their intentions, for the most part, are good.

If you need legal advice for yourself or a family member, they are very willing and kind about it. I really appreciated their selflessness and willingness to help. There are a lot of truly kind and good people in the company.

Cons

Little to no opportunity for advancement within departments or the company. There are often "too many hands in the pot" with the multiple partners of the firm and heads of divisions all having different opinions and all getting offended if you don't do it their way (even if the other partner is telling you to do it differently, or they are wrong since it is not their area of expertise).

Double standards are so prevalent in this company. Some people get special treatment and great leniency, when they should not, and those options are only given to certain people. The policies often seem to only apply to certain people and there is a huge gap in treatment due to this.

There are a lot of promises made and few that are kept, which leads to feeling used and unsatisfied in your position. Employee suggestions are rarely implemented or listened to like they should be, even when they are very good suggestions. There are a lot of procedures that need to be fixed, but it constantly goes in a circle of changes with nothing really getting resolved.

The pay is very low for comparable skill and experience. For my same job position, I found and accepted another job that offered me $15k more per year because of my qualifications - that's how underpaid I was.

Also, very little organization of management - everyone seems to think they are your boss and it gets very frustrating and difficult.

Keep policies consistent and stop giving overt special consideration - your employees notice and it makes them feel worthless and unvalued. It also creates dissention. Have a policy that applies to everyone, and stick to it.

FInd a way to fix the procedures and actually stick with it instead of changing it continuously.

Set a clear line of responsibility so that not everyone acts like they are in charge of everyone else!

Allow people to do the jobs that you hired them to do - trust their expertise, that is why you hired them! When ten people without experience in that area are telling them different ways to do it, nothing gets done and is certainly not done as well as it could have been.

Promised raises but every time I asked

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Morris, Hall & Kinghorn

Pros

Great people to work with, very friendly, and they are honest.
    Closed on major holidays
    Departments try to help each other out

Cons

Not really great growth opportunities
    Smaller company so raises and growth are dependent on success of the company
    Upper management has a hard time admitting when they are wrong
    Unfair/unequal enforcement of company policies

Make your policies very clear, especially if they differ from one department to the other. Also don't blame mistakes on the little ones when it was your mistake. Own your responsibilities.