Morris-Jenkins Heating and Air

Reset
3.8
Dewey Jenkins

1. Awesome!!

I have been working at Morris-Jenkins Heating and Air full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful people that work together nicely. So nice to be appreciated and to love coming to work!!

Cons

Hhhmmmm.......nothing really sticks out as a con.

2. I'm an employee for life!

I have been working at Morris-Jenkins Heating and Air full-time

Pros

Morris Jenkins is a company with a vision that is inclusive of the customer and the employee

Cons

I know you would be skeptical of this, but I dont have any!

Advice to Management

Keep dreaming...

3. Not worth it

Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Morris-Jenkins Heating and Air full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is decent compared to industry averages. Good support system if you need any help because of massive overhead.

Cons

Cronyism, politics, horrible hours, mandatory holiday work, core values only used when convenient. Used to be family-oriented but quickly employees are becoming numbers and a means to an end and not treated well unless top 5% producer.

Advice to Management

You've lost over 20 techs because of pressuring them to upsell on every call whether a customer needs it or not. Cronyism is crushing your company morale.

5. Always a busy work environment even in the slow season.

Current Employee - Administrative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Administrative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Morris-Jenkins Heating and Air

Pros

Always a busy work environment even in the slow season.

Cons

Management lacks experience and communication.

Advice to Management

Practice company's core values.

6. Worked as a priority advantage technician. Was trained as a technician and still in this feild to this day.

I worked at Morris-Jenkins Heating and Air full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is fair, everyone has help, nice trucks, tool allowence, organized, training, schedule, uniforms,

Cons

sales expectations, lots of high pressure sales, weekends, lack of decent retirement, advancement involves having leading sales, military like atnosphere, must shave daily,

Advice to Management

none they can do what they want

Best place I've ever worked

Current Employee - HVAC Technician in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - HVAC Technician in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Morris-Jenkins Heating and Air full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At Morris Jenkins they want you to be successful because they know it will make them successful. I've already had the opportunity to move departments to a different position, allowing me to improve my quality of life, improve my technical skills and create new opportunities for advancement. Everyone seems to be pulling in the same direction and it shows. Its a great work atmosphere from the technicians to the office to the management and I look forward to going to work everyday.

Cons

You really have to deal with people well as working with the public in their own homes can be difficult, uncomfortable or sometimes just strange. Some people will love you, some people can't wait for you to go. You have to be able to stick to your guns, do a great job no matter what and be confident in yourself.

One of the BEST companies I've ever worked for! Strong & stable growth too.

Current Employee - Recruiter & Human Resources Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Recruiter & Human Resources Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Morris-Jenkins Heating and Air full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mr. Jenkins and the rest of the leadership team has done a great job to foster a positive work environment, where we all have a ton of fun coming to work! I believe that is what drives such a high level of performance. The strong culture formed by our values of honesty, integrity, fairness, and respect, alongside an intense focus on serving the customer and maintaining a positive attitude, have been known to spit out employees that were not a fit. That has probably been the key to keeping it such a fantastic place to work!

There is plenty opportunity for career advancement, professional development, and training on a regular basis. The company may have grown to a pretty large size, but still feels like the family business it is and likely will continue to be for quite a while.

Morris-Jenkins is a leader in the residential HVAC industry, has very steady historical growth, and a strong future growth outlook. The company has never laid off employees. Mr. Jenkins has a glowing personality that is just as genuine in person as it is in the commercials. He has a reputation for taking good care of all the employees and is very fair. 4 weeks of paid time off, plus additional holidays off is very nice to recharge the batteries!

Cons

I'm really struggling here... The couple issues that I've heard about from the past (before I started here) have already been recently resolved.

To be nit-picky, the 90-day wait period for insurance required by the insurance company.
    Also, the HVAC industry is pretty seasonal, so it can slow down a bit from January to March, but I hear that it's not significant compared to most of our competitors that frequently layoff employees around Christmas.

Advice to Management

I've already shared the couple concerns I had as they came up and also many suggestions/ideas directly with the CEO or with Managers, who were all more than happy to listen and take into serious consideration. Many have already been implemented! The ideas that weren't, management helped me understand why.

One of the best companies to work for in Charlotte.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Great company culture. They invest in their employees. What you do makes a difference in the success of the company. The CEO is an amazing guy that values and motivates his employees.

Cons

Takes time to understand the industry.

A weird workplace culture

Former Employee - Priority Advantage Director in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Priority Advantage Director in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Morris-Jenkins Heating and Air full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees got paid weekly, which is unusual in today's workplace. That was about the only thing I can say that was a positive, but even that is a tradeoff when the company had non-tech people coming in to work at 6 a.m.

Cons

The company's idea of promoting someone usually comes at the expense of demoting someone else. It wasn't until after I was hired as the head of the warranty department that I found out I was the third person in the past six months hired for that position (one of my predecessors was demoted to a customer service representative). Furthermore, I found out my direct supervisor (a young, first-time manager) was formerly the secretary to the No. 2 person in the company and she switched jobs with her predecessor.

The company had office manager meetings at 7 a.m. once or twice per week, which seems entirely counterproductive and was more of a control mechanism. I understand technicians meeting once a week at that time to go over sales and service, but the office managers had their own separate meetings.

Other than that, the company is indicative of what you see in corporate America. They had new software installed that most of the people trained by the software provider struggled to use, but it was expected that someone just hired should have more mastery over it than they do. They set the position as a salary position as a way of bypassing overtime (after I was hired I was told they wanted me to work more than 40 hours per week regularly). They hired someone with management experience (I have more than a dozen years in various industries) but yet the first-time manager started questioning me because she thought I "acted too much like a manager" -- which led me to suspect that she was afraid she could see herself being demoted potentially like what happened to her predecessor.

Overall, it's a classic case of a company wanting overqualified people to work in positions that are not using their skill sets and the other trappings of that work environment (cronyism, unrealistic job expectations given the lack of resources, an anti-family holiday policy, poor medical insurance benefits, etc.). Go there only if you are interested in learning proprietary information and a thick culture setting that leads to no career development.

Advice to Management

Like most companies, you feel that your culture is different from other companies -- it's not. You have all the bad trappings that make the corporate workplace so toxic. Also, make your workplace more conducive for work-family balance. It makes no sense for a HVAC company to run office hours the day before and after Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve so these people could not spend time with their families.

RSS Feed </> Embed