Morris Reviews

Reset
2.3
Billy Morris III

1. I've had worse

I have been working at Morris

Pros

This company promotes from within.

Cons

You pretty much have to get a promotion to get a raise.

Do yourself a favor and keep looking. You don't want to work here.

I have been working at Morris full-time

Pros

There is absolutely nothing good about this company.

Cons

Everything. primarily the unqualified Publisher they somehow hired to run our Chicago office. Company structure is practically Non-Existent. There is absolutely NO culture to this company other than sell sell sell. They do not care for their employees and they certainly do not care for their clients.

Advice to Management

Do more thorough interviews and offer quarterly employee surveys so you are aware of what is happening in your market's offices.

Former Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Morris full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great money if you know how to sell.

Cons

Management treats you very poorly and is abusive.

Advice to Management

More training.

Working for a Morris Communications group or brand is to know what it means to work where "the employee comes last.

Former Employee - Creative Director
    Former Employee - Creative Director

I worked at Morris

Pros

They pay such little attention to their teams and facilities that the only pro is you work anonymously so no micro management.

Cons

Morris corporate plays such bare bones business that office units go without proper tools or healthy environments. A media leader they are NOT.

Advice to Management

Pull your noses out of the air from your fat cat salaries every once in awhile and take a look at who has helped you get there and helps you stay there.

6. Great Company!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Augusta, GA

I worked at Morris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities to move up within the company. Benefits OK and paid time off is pretty generous.

Cons

Seems to be a lot of employee turnover, positions created, then positions eliminated, work responsibilities seem to shift a lot.

Frustrating

Former Employee - Ops Manager in Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Ops Manager in Augusta, GA

I worked at Morris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Had an overall good team that reported to me.

Cons

New GM seized an opportunity to terminate me in a slick fashion. I told an employee that she would be meeting with HR the next day to discuss employment opportunities with the Augusta Chronicle. The GM had told them all 2 weeks prior that we would be downsizing the department by 2. Fired me, the boas of the employee, for letting her know about the meeting with HR. I was subsequently told by HR that managers were held to a higher standard. Ok, I've seen a manager get slapped on the wrist for harassment and a director that still had his job after a dui arrest was published in The Jail Report. Seriously. Reached out to upper mgmt after the fact and they don't have the nerve to respond.

Advice to Management

I'm sure you can sleep at night. Remember I held MSD together while it took you 4 months to hire a new GM and then I get railroaded. Stay classy.

8. Great environment to work in, while the salaries may not be top end, the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

Current Employee - Systems Support Specialist in Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Systems Support Specialist in Augusta, GA

I have been working at Morris full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Liberal time off, flexible hours, understanding management and upper management. Overall a VERY positive environment to work in. Great opportunity to advance, WHEN POSITIONS BECOME AVAILABLE (see cons)

Cons

Leadership can be a bit passive in certain situations. Compensation could be better, but overall, great package. People tend to stay in positions FOREVER, so can be a while for a position to open for promotion.

9. good experience within each market but corporate is a nightmare and out of touch

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Morris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great office environment and colleagues were very professional. decent work life balance. you get great experience in the tourism and travel industry.

Cons

management is totally out of touch. vastly underpaid compared to the market and give out no raises nor any reviews. no leadership from the top they don't care about growing their employees. its a lot of cut and replace if you are not making numbers. everything is all about the numbers. no budgets for anything. do not give the sales team the tools they need to be very successful.

Advice to Management

no personal growth for employees hurts morale. could spend a little more money of taking care of your employees who are overworked currently anyway. nickle and diming everything is frustrating and again hurts morale that the corporation is not supporting their employees.

10. Ok.

Former Employee - Associate Art Director in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Associate Art Director in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Morris full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers and location in Charlotte was great.

Cons

Pay is not competitive relative to similar publishing companies.

Old media company out of touch with new world media technology.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Augusta, GA

I worked at Morris full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Office was nice.

Cons

Little investment in new publishing technology. Was like pulling teeth to get a broken computer replaced. Very slow decision making process, a lot "red tape" with a over staffed executive group. Meetings to discuss having meetings. By the time a decision is made the world (competitors and customers) have leap-frogged ahead. Downtown Augusta is a nasty pit and I never really felt safe there even during the day. Family owned company with typical dysfunctional family dynamics.

Advice to Management

Get lean and mean with the executive staff. Streamline the decision making process so company can be nimble and responsive in a fast changing media business environment. Listen and act quickly on input from front line employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed