Morton Buildings

Updated August 13, 2014
Updated August 13, 2014
3.5

Jeffrey L. Neihouser

Good company moving in the right direction

I have been working at Morton Buildings full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Private family owned, core values, advancement opportunites, profit sharing

Cons

Overcoming poor performance, hiring and bad habits left behind by past leadership

Keep doing what you are doing. It is great to be a part of a company that dominates it's industry and continues to pay it's employees well. This company was built on great people capable of doing great things and we once again are starting to see this return to Morton Buildings.

Are Crooks and will leave you high and dry even if you put in your 2 weeks

I worked at Morton Buildings full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Well some people that are there are great people, just had their heads in the "Morton Building Cookie Jar" way too long.

Cons

Where to start... Was promised a company car on the start of my job... so I took the lower salary because figured the car would offset it, never saw a car... When a employee left, they would give you their duties on top of yours and NEVER is a pay raise to be discussed as it won't ever happen. The only ones that are happy in the company is the upper management "the good ol boys club". They will make sure to screw you on benefits , if you smoke they will charge you $40.00 a month for what they say is because smokers cost them more each month. If you are a salary employee they will say right off the bat that to do your job and to do it satisfactory you are to work a min of 55 hours a week, no you won't get paid for those hours worked but you are required to work them. The benefits are cut rate, and VERY expensive, the 401k I wouldn't bother because they will cheat you out of it.

Looking forward to when you are all investigate for fraud, and receiving kickbacks on contracts. I will laugh my rear off when that little good ol boy clan goes down. No I am not even bitter just think it is so sad how you screw over so many that are in desperate need of a job and you just prey on them. I am so happy I chose a bigger and better pasture because yours is so full of crap. they were finally happy that they made a profit last year but the only ones to see that were management, they swept the true numbers under the table so no one would know what they made. Heck the Sr management fired Neihouser 2 years ago, and now it is run by people that are just family and no clue how to sell water in a desert. They think they are the best company out there, I will give them that they build a nice building, but price over value it is best to look elsewhere and not get screwed over by the hidden charges Morton will do to you. Hey also try training employees instead of just putting them at their desk and walking away!

Morton's can be a great place to work at

Current Employee - Crewman
    Current Employee - Crewman

I have been working at Morton Buildings full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Morton's has alot of work, will teach hard work ethics,and they are very organized. A great place for a high school graduate to come into and learn what work should be. Days go by fast when you are having fun and working with great guys.

Cons

Pay is not good, a lot of sweat and fun turns into tears and disappointment on payday. Personally I feel, too many fat cats in corporate. I also believe alot of the pay issues stem from OSHA non-sense.

Its only going to get harder to find people to work hard for you, these boys ever figure out what competitive wages are you could be in trouble.

Good place to work. Could be getting better

Current Employee - Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at Morton Buildings full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Self made schedule, not micro managed

Cons

Pay not the best could be much better

Doing good job.

Living the Morton Life

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Morton Buildings full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Selling a repitable name, leader in the industy, in many locations, set your own schedule

Cons

low base salary, lots of constant change, and unguided direction

give people a chance to build a territory and listen to what your employee's have to say we have good idea's

Really great

Former Employee - Office Administration in Dodgeville, WI
    Former Employee - Office Administration in Dodgeville, WI

I worked at Morton Buildings full-time (less than an year)

Pros

interesting work, positive environment to work in

Cons

temporary employment in a resession

Great Product; inefficient delivery processes

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Morton, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Morton, IL

I have been working at Morton Buildings

Pros

Superior job autonomy
    Great product, reputation, and brand
    Good benefits, tools, and resources

Cons

Inefficient process and practices
    customer satisfaction is being compromised by inability to increase efficiency

Drop the rules, present the goal, reward or reprimand on performance towards the goal
    Don't keep adding more systems and processes on top of broken ones
    Don't do something because it works for us, do it because it works for the customer

High potential to be great

I worked at Morton Buildings full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great product with great history.
    A lot of freedom to do things your own way as long as it gets results.

Cons

Five presidents in six years.
    Very top heavy which leads to higher costs to the customer.
    Employees wear too many hats which fore you to do a lot of things average or worse instead of a few things great.
    So hungry to be the great of yesterday they have forgotten how they got there in the first place.

The family should step aside. They are too emotionally involved. The good old boy system has caused you to promote you senior management well beyond what they are capable of. It's not that they aren't good employees, only they are now making key decisions they are not qualified to make. You also have lower level employees that are capable of much more than you are giving them credit for. You can be great again but right now it appears you are on auto-pilot. Get the right person to lead and get the ones that think they are the leaders out of the way.

awesome place to work learn alot leave with alot.

I have been working at Morton Buildings

Pros

being able to see something that you built come frrom just an idea that was drawn on a napkin at one point.

Cons

out of town work sucks but they will keep you busy, be prepaired to work in all climates of the great US of A 100 plus to -30

when a something works great don't try and fine tune it....and f-it up. Morton is known as the caddy of pole barns what the hell are we doing build country craps? step it up don't drop to comps level....

Morton Buildings Photos

This is finished frame before steel is put on.
This is our work horse. 2011 Dodge 5500