Morton's Restaurant Group

Updated August 4, 2014
Updated August 4, 2014

Morton's Restaurant Group CEO Tilman Fertitta
Tilman Fertitta

Opportunity for a good income if you have a good personality

Current Employee - Server  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Server in Houston, TX

I have been working at Morton's Restaurant Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

The money is great. You can make as much as you want to work.

Cons

No benefits; very corporate atmosphere.

Management should micromanage less.

You don't want to work here

Former Employee - Bartender  in  Aventura, FL
    Former Employee - Bartender in Aventura, FL

I worked at Morton's Restaurant Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Not many I can recall, I was a bartenders there for years so I had a pretty consistent group of regulars who tipped well. But even they got frustrated after the Landry's purchase and visited less frequently.

Cons

Severely declining business, terrible reputation, lowered food quality, raised menu prices, overall reduction of quality and standards, overemphasis on labor control at expense of quality and consistency, managers micro managed staff, managers micromanaged by corporate, horrid customer service.

Get out now and find a real company to work for.

Short hours with decent money, but not a good place to work for

Former Employee - Server  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Server in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Morton's Restaurant Group part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

With the right regulars, you can make decent money and be out the door in a few hours.

Cons

No benefits for servers. Since Landry's took over, the food quality has decreased while the prices remain high. Management consistently over hires and over staffs and servers have to try to survive on three shifts a week.(or less) The politics are absurd. It doesn't matter how good your Yelp reviews are or how many guests request you, unless you consistently suck up to managment, you won't be scheduled and you you won't get tables when you are there.

Hopefully, this is not nationwide and is simply an issue with my former store (I was with Morton's for almost 8 years), but my only advice to management is fto go jump in a lake

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Morton's was great until they were purchased

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager

I worked at Morton's Restaurant Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Stable income, Benefits in the beginning were great.

Cons

benefits were not that great at the end. Terrible hours

Learn to actively listen to employees and guests.

Change for the good?

I have been working at Morton's Restaurant Group

Pros

The company is netting more money than it ever has.

Cons

Minor changes have upset what was a once loyal Morton's crowd.

Put more concern on conducted interviews.

Great

Current Employee - Captain  in  Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Captain in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Morton's Restaurant Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The pay has always been consistent

Cons

Nothing con about the company

Great place to work

Former Employee - Server  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Server in San Jose, CA

I worked at Morton's Restaurant Group part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Minimal hours but competitive compensation make this a great job for a student, or anyone that has obligations during the day.

Cons

Late hours tend to get tiresome and it is nearly impossible to get any time off during the holiday.

Morton's is OK

I worked at Morton's Restaurant Group

Pros

Decent salary, ok benefits, nice people to work with.

Cons

Landry's purchased the company which totally changed the culture

under paid

Former Employee - Server  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Server in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Morton's Restaurant Group part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

the best thing is you only work nights

Cons

locations are not very accessible

value your employees

Say goodbye old friend and hello Landry's.

Current Employee - Server, Captain, Boardroom Captain
    Current Employee - Server, Captain, Boardroom Captain

I have been working at Morton's Restaurant Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Morton's has some great people to work with, many of whom I would call family. GM's and AM's work hard to accommodate scheduling and work/life balance. The respect and comradery in a Morton's restaurant is hands down the best in anywhere I've ever worked. Great employees and General/Assistant managers.

Cons

Let me start by saying, I've been working there for 12+ years. A month before my 10+ year bonus was due, the benefits were cut. Bummer. Do not pass go, do not collect your $5000 (it used to be more when I first started).. But I still stuck it out in the hopes that things would change and the company would thrive at a later date. A couple years later they got bought by Landry's and things have gone slowly down hill, since.

The group used to have Core values that were respected by all.
    They were: 1. Offer only the finest product, any where, any time, at any cost. 2. Value each other, professionalism is expected at all times. 3. Expect to be profitable. 4. Strive to continually improve, every day, in every way.

Under new owners current core values are such..

Value 1: Offer whatever you can afford. (They now serve Costco onion rings, choice grades of meat, along with precooked products that come out of a can or are vacuumed sealed.)
    Value 2: Value the bottom line. (Employee benefits were cut, Some locations now have the server paying for the ATM charge fee for their charge tips. The "bottom line" for balancing work to profit margins have since increased and there are fewer employees for a work load that's tripled because of the ever expanding menu.)
    Value 3: Wow, still there. They still expect to be profitable. (This is possible by cutting portion sizes, offering cheaper cuts, and cutting labor costs)
    Value 4: Strive to get people to join the "rewards program". The only thing they strive to continually improve are the ways in which they will increase the labor on their employees and exploit cheaper, smaller, but "better", products on their customers.

There is a rewards program in which the customer can be a part of... so they can eat the same products offered by all the restaurants under their umbrella. And be suckered back to "save" money by spending more on low quality ingredients.

Directed to Landry's Restaurant Group.. Get back to the basics. Bring back simple choices. Bring back the impressive menu presentation. Quit adding bacon to every side item... add some healthier choices. And, if you're going to add 50 new menu items, expand the kitchens so that they can serve the product in a timely manner. Also, in regards to the kitchen, in order to justify the high prices paid by Morton's customers, make sure you employ enough people to get the job done in a timely manner. Service is one of the only things we got going for ourselves.

Worked for Morton's Restaurant Group? Contribute to the Community!