Mosaic Community Services

Updated July 1, 2014

2.8

Jeff Richardson
1 Rating

The work experience has been pretty good at Mosaic community Services.

Current Employee - Counselor  in  Timonium, MD
    Current Employee - Counselor in Timonium, MD

I have been working at Mosaic Community Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They give training and seminars to advance your skills.

Cons

Better pay for counselors with college degrees.

Look at the updates on the education of employees to see if they can fit with job opportunites available.

The company was lacking in true leadership and direction

Former Employee - Quality Assurance  in  Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Memphis, TN

I worked at Mosaic Community Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

In today's economy, at least your not unemployed.

Cons

Lack of professionalism and direction.

Review recruitment

Would be such a better facility if they enforced rules with the clients and listened to their employees

Former Employee - Rehabilitation Counselor
    Former Employee - Rehabilitation Counselor

I worked at Mosaic Community Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

There were more nice clients than not, some of them look forward to seeing you every day and it makes you feel like you're helping

We planned a lot of fun activities for clients which they enjoyed a lot. I would have loved to have done more things like that (pizza parties, crab feast, etc)

Free breakfast and lunch. There is an on-site kitchen where the clients get breakfast and lunch, and employees also are allowed to partake. There was an excellent cook there when I worked there, so I really enjoyed free hot meals.

As exhausting as it may be trying to help people that usually don't want help, the ones you do get through to make it worth it. Helping people get back on their feet while they figure out their medication and therapy is a great thing, and it makes me happy knowing there are people with mental illnesses that really are getting the help they need.

Compensation for driving clients places and taking classes off site.
    There were occasions where a client had to stay late for an appointment and you had to take them home, but the facility would reimburse you for your miles, also for any class you had to take that was an another facility.

The hours were nice, the clients were only there until 2, which left the staff a few hours to get work done without interruption!

Thanks to classes I got first aid and CPR certified, I had always wanted that.

Cons

They throw you in without training. I got a tour of the facility and was told what I would be doing, which was have a reasonable case-load and lead 5 different groups a week. I had no training for teaching, and was expected to come up with new material for these groups every week.
    I was told that I would have between 15-20 people on my case load, and no more than that. The entire time I was there, I had at least 30 people I had to keep track of and write reports on monthly. The ratio of staff to client was disproportionate.
    They did have training "classes" which were mostly online power points and classes that were booked several months in advance, so by the time you took them you had already been doing what they were teaching you for months.

If the facility was closed due to weather, you had to go to one of the local client houses to... basically just sit there because they already have employees that work there. It's completely irresponsible and dangerous. I had to use a sick day I earned because I didn't want to risk my life driving to a group home during a blizzard.

Boundaries were never enforced. There were signs saying clients were not allowed to go to the other side of the building where everyone's desks were without an escort/permission, but it was never enforced. I feel like that might be a HIPPA violation of some kind. Doors to the employee area were never allowed to be locked because of "safety" reasons. There were several personal threats and thefts of employee money and other items because of this unenforced rule.

I did not feel safe. There was more than one incident with a client staying after hours (NOT allowed) screaming, breaking things and threatening a co-woker in our own work space. I was terrified and no one did anything about it. The client was never punished for their actions. When I approached a supervisor about my feelings, I was told "well that's just the line of work we're in" and dismissed. I have never felt so helpless in my life.
    I quit because I did not feel safe and nobody cared.

Put in some effort to listen to the people who are doing their difficult jobs for very little money. If they tell you they feel unsafe, listen to them and try to work with them to fix whatever can be fixed.

Enforce rules with clients. They need to know that there are consequences for their actions. This is something that was never enforced when I worked there.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall it is a very rewarding experience.

Current Employee - Case Manager  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Mosaic Community Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are wonderful clients who can be very challenging but can also make your work a joy. It is a great experience for anyone who wants to help others or break into the field.

Cons

There are sometimes issues with poor communication and there are few/seldom any chance for promotions or raises.

better communication, listen to employees

This job is all right

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Catonsville, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Catonsville, MD

I have been working at Mosaic Community Services

Pros

No two days are the same. There are some opportunities to genuinely help people and feel good about your work. The holiday party is pretty bangin.

Cons

The level of communication is pretty bad. The majority of people who work here are introverted, so people don't often speak up.

The part of the company that I work for is "all about the money", and this becomes apparent pretty quickly. The job becomes more about paper work and policies when it should be about helping clients.

Management is pretty lacking.

Listen to your subordinates. I have given a lot of feedback which was immediately discarded. I understand that I can't change policies on my own, but at least listen to my concerns.

Improved with management change

I worked at Mosaic Community Services full-time

Pros

The non-profit sector can offer a workplace culture and atmosphere that is hard to find in public companies. There was workplace camaraderie and a sincere caring for the clients, even by the accounting and administrative staff. I was definitively sad to leave this and the office politics in my next place was a bit of a cultural shock. The place had improved with a change of management in finance and it had become a good place to work.

Cons

HR did not take the complaints of management issues seriously, until there was a change in management above this person and they listened to our issues. Pay was low, and pay increases were not always possible, but this is not different than other non-profit organizations.

Value your staff and listen to what they have to say about your executives you have in place.

Worked for Mosaic Community Services? Contribute to the Community!