Moss Adams LLP

www.mossadams.com

Moss Adams LLP Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014
Moss Adams LLP – Seattle – “Seattle office lobby”

Chris Schmidt

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance, but a heavy emphasis on amount of time your butt is in the chair(in 11 reviews)

• A wide array of clients and the opportunity to learn a lot in your first years(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, public accounting model is hard at times when moving up the ranks(in 10 reviews)

• Busy Season, public accounting just inst for me(in 8 reviews)

Grindhouse, great for experience out of college

Audit Senior (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsVast amount of experience and exposure very quickly. Decent work/life balance, but a heavy emphasis on amount of time your butt is in the chair. Good provider of education and opportunities to learn a lot about various industries.

ConsNo consideration of being an innovator. They seem stuck in the traditional models and ignore the inefficiencies of that system.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdopt a system of chargeable goals that rewards efficiency, as opposed to simply the number of hours. You will earn more on your engagements and reward those who are truly the best workers.

Living in the past...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork/life balance is better, but that is largely a result of the firm's client base, which consists mostly of private companies that do not have the complexity and pressure that public companies do. That being said, don't expect a light workload.

ConsCompensation: The firm has a mediocre 401(k) plan - no employer matches for at least a few years, and even then it isn't very much. Also, compensation is notably lower than the national firms and the Big 4.

Firm culture: Compared to its peers, it lags far behind in thought leadership and collaboration. No one likes to be challenged, and the general feel for the firm is that it is living in the past, trailing the Big 4 by at least ten years. In general, it seemed that the various service lines operated with very little coordination, which didn't seem constructive.

Career opportunities: Exit opportunities pale in comparison to the Big 4, which is largely due to the firm's client base. The Big 4 can generally also offer more because of their size and truly global reach.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverhaul employee benefits plan.

Allow flexibility and create a more collaborative organization.

good

Prosgrowth, flexibility, autonomy, quality of coworkers

Conssalary/pay is very low

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An exciting, frustrating, and otherwise volatile road.

Senior Accountant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSignificant growth creating opportunity. Several industry groups with extremely knowledgable leaders, interesting clients, and fun teams.

High quality individuals at all levels, partners show appreciation and commitment to building their teams.

Lots of communication from management. Generally not too many surprises. It feels that employees are listened to though there is always room for improvement.

ConsThe significant growth also strains resources. A lot of people are making a lot of sacrifices who deliberately did not sign up to work for the big four. When people start talking about leaving for the big four, we have a problem (which we do)

There's a lot of lessons learned the hard way. Training in soft skills and techinical skills at all levels have definite room for improvement. Expectations communicated to employees upstream and downstream could be more well defined.

Compensation leaves little to be desired. This is the bay area, I feel we are very under-paid for the cost of living we endure to be here. We have a robust employee benefit plan practice, but our own 401k doesn't give us a dime for 3 years, and afterwards only provides for an annual 3% contribution, no match, limited choices, overall a weak plan.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on improving communication, compensation, and training.

Great opportunity depending on the partner

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsPeople, Opportunity, Flexibility, Challenge, Exciting pace

ConsCertain People, Hard work, High expectations

Great experience at growing and exciting firm

Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsWork with a highly talented, fun and energetic team

ConsLong hours resulting from experienced growth, politics

Advice to Senior ManagementBalance growth and employee morale

Great place if you just want a job, horrible place to build a career.

Tax Senior (Current Employee) Campbell, CA

ProsCorporate managers are great. They're all very knowledgable and will not hesitate to explain technical issues with staff. Likewise with the corporate partners.

There is camaraderie between a lot of the younger employees. There are always people to go out to lunch with, people who are up to play basketball, and people you can go to happy hour with after work.

They also keep the kitchen stocked with a good variety of snacks and soda throughout the year.

ConsThe firm does not invest in its employees. They do not encourage employees to go out and network, and client interaction is almost nonexistent until you get close to the manager level. So, by the time you're a manager, you lack the soft skills necessary that's essential to progress in a public accounting career. You will only learn only if you create the opportunities yourself. But, you will also need to find the managers or partners who are willing to take you under their wing and develop you.

Promotions are very much based on time served as opposed to merit. From what I've seen, it does not matter if you're working on more difficult projects, or take on more responsibilities. It doesn't matter if your technical skills are leaps and bounds ahead of others. Most people in a class will be promoted together, regardless of the gap in technical knowledge, unless you really screw up.

Compensation does not correlate with performance. Regardless of your rating relative to your peers, pay within a "class" does not vary by much. They will keep employees within a narrow band, even between the lowest and highest performer. Raises and bonuses are not reflective of performance or your title. It does not reflect the quality of work produced, or the difficulty of projects you were on. Overall, it creates a complacent culture without the incentive to work hard. Essentially, just getting by is good enough.

Managers on the individual/wealth services side leaves something to be desired. A lot of those wealth services managers will not take the time to explain technical issues to ensure staff understands. Rather, they just tell you to look at prior year work papers.

HR has voiced that it is unprofessional for employees to talk about their compensation and raises. However, if everyone is compensated fairly based on performance, I'm sure employee moral would be a lot better.

The outlook of the firm looks grim. Overall, the group of partners are great. They're very smart, knowledgable, and a lot are from Big 4s. There are a few senior managers who could be partners one day, or would be great directors if that position existed with tax at Moss Adams. However, there is a huge drop off in talent after that. There is a pipeline in place to replenish these partners and senior managers as they retire or get promoted, unless they will be hiring from outside.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay and promote people based on performance.

Invest in and develop employees.

Listen to the results and comments from the engagement surveys instead of dismissing them as results that were expected.

Don't promise employees that the bonus will make up for less than expected raises when there is no intent to really make it up on bonuses.

UNDER APPRECIATED

Staff Accountant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsLots of room for growth

ConsTrying too hard to be like the big 4

Advice to Senior ManagementLEARN TO TRAIN! Management should be reviewed on how well they can train and their ability to lead a team.

Poor Management

Tax Staff (Former Employee) Campbell, CA

ProsWanted to you learn and room for career growth.

ConsTerrible management and lack of clear direction. It's an accounting firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake work a little more fun and have some more energy in the office

Growing company with focus on middlesize clients

Tax Manager (Current Employee)

ProsAllows flexibility, women friendly, appreciates employees

ConsBecomes more and more a big four company, very structured, wants people to pick an industry early on.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better w I th employees, feedback is important

Worked for Moss Adams LLP? Contribute to the Community!