Moss Adams LLP

www.mossadams.com

Moss Adams LLP Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014
Moss Adams LLP – Seattle – “Seattle office lobby”

Chris Schmidt

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance, but a heavy emphasis on amount of time your butt is in the chair(in 11 reviews)

• A wide array of clients and the opportunity to learn a lot in your first years(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, public accounting model is hard at times when moving up the ranks(in 10 reviews)

• Busy Season, public accounting just inst for me(in 8 reviews)

It takes some luck

Manager (Current Employee) Spokane, WA

ProsThere are some smart and fun people at Moss Adams, if you can burry yourself in the right industry group it can be great.

ConsNot enough experienced employees to train new staff. You get thrown into the fire and when you sink it's all your fault. I you can't play the game you will lose.

Advice to Senior ManagementI you never teach your dog to go to the bathroom outside, it isn't his fault when he goes inside. Similarly, of you don't take the time to train your employees and provide them accurate and timely feedback, it isn't their fault when they make a mistake.

Waste of time communicating, morale at all time low

Staff Auditor (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsA wide array of clients and the opportunity to learn a lot in your first years.
    Benefits are okay, pay is in line with the standard for public accounting.
    Office is modern looking.

ConsThey make the culture seem so great when you are recruiting, but once you are in you start to notice that 99% of the people are miserable, sleep deprived and so stressed out. I've had people tell me they cry on Sundays thinking of coming into work on Monday, sad!
    They say they want communication and that they are there for you, big lie, if you communicate issues, they do not take what you say into consideration and you feel stupid for even attempting to communicate in the first place. If anything things get worse for you when you communicate.
    They set you up with a career advisor which you better hope is competent, because there are some people who should not be a career advisors and those people are not looking out for your best interest.
    The culture is very clicky, so if you are not in, then you are out and can will never be accepted.
    Managers and Seniors care more about who kisses their butt the most rather than who is capable of doing the job effectively.
    The people in this office think they are more intelligent then their cohorts in private industry and often speak poorly of people in private industry at the client location, which is very inappropriate! They do all this while complaining that those people get to go home at 5pm.
    They have procedures of how evaluations are done however, those procedures are not followed and they make up rules as they go.
    When I left, morale was at an all time low and rightfully so, this company says they are not like the big 4 however, it seems that is the direction they are headed towards. Most people in the office feel as though they are just another number.
    Oh and what's with the employee surveys they hound you to complete, best places to work, what a sham!

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want communication from your staff, my suggestion is to listen to your people. There is a lot more going on then you know about and people are miserable.

My experience has been fabulous.

Tax Staff (Current Employee) Campbell, CA

ProsFlexible, welcoming to all kinds of individuals, professional, competative salaries, friendly people. I can't complain it has been great working here.

ConsThere really aren't too many outside the fact that its public accounting which can be high stress and long hours.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Biggest Mistake of My Life

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat health benefits, 401k match is not all that.

ConsYou are nothing if you are not an accountant on a certain track.

They depersonalize people referring to the as "staff" or "admin"

They think they are flexible but in fact there is a form to fill out for every little thing.

There is a galling lack of privacy.

The people are very cliquey and travel in pairs at all times. They remind me of the Binars in the Star Trek series and are about as friendly.

They force you to fill out those "Best Places to Work" surveys. By force I mean pester you to death about them. It's more important than doing your job.

The majority of these people are lifers. They will die there. I thought I liked stability but there is a difference between stability and stagnation.

No I was not fired, I gleefully left of my own accord.

OMG! How could I forget! They charge for parking!

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your non-accountant employees. You will gain valuable insight.

Sr Audit Manager

Audit Senior Manager (Current Employee) Spokane, WA

ProsThere are a lot of smart people at Moss. Good client mix of smaller companies to work with and larger more complex companies.

ConsVery little opportunity to use your own professional judgment to do your job. If you sneeze, you should probably have had that approved by Seattle. Industry silos make it very difficult to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more of an abundance mentality rather than scarcity.

If you aren't "IN" you are WAY OUT

Administrative (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsPeople who are not managers are wonderful

ConsOnce they reach manager they are elite and do not want to hear from you. Don't EVER think about making a tiny mistake, you will be strung up and penalized

Advice to Senior Managementget out of your offices and stop the elitist mentality. You are the biggest issue in the offices. You realize how many people have horrible anxiety and massive stress issues?

Good Old Boys

Audit Manager (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsCompensation was fair.
    People were skilled.
    Access to executive management was fair.
    Expectations were reasonable.
    Travel was reasonable.
    Client base was reasonable.

ConsIf you were not part of the club - you were on the outside looking in.
    Cliques
    Lack of work life balance
    Benefits were not great

Very Political Environment

Administrative (Former Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsGood pay for the area. That's it.

ConsThe standards they hold you to depend on a subjective determination of your value as a person and not your performance. If you're "in" with the managers and partners, they expect the best, which is great. If you're "out" with the managers and partners, they will complain about every little fault they can find, no matter how small. No amount of effort or commitment to quality will ever satisfy them.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more equal standards for admins based on objective assessments and not on personal feelings. Also, they need to provide more timely feedback. They tend to wait until the consensus meetings to share any dissatisfaction.

Work Hard- Pay not enough

Staff Accountant (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsSuccessful company, fun work events, big office in Portland, OR so lots of co-workers (don't get sick of them and get to learn a lot.)

ConsWork way to hard and way to often year-round (not just in busy season.) It is expected that you work ridiculous amounts, and you don't feel appreciated. People don't always get promoted when they should and it becomes a popularity game.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people a break! Don't be so judgmental with those that actually want a work/life balance.

Best Public Accounting Firm out there

Audit Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosintelligent and professional co-workers, access to partner group from all levels (staff to senior manager), vacation time, culture, great clients

ConsBusy Season, public accounting just inst for me

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter recruiting, we need to do more to compete with the Big 4

Worked for Moss Adams LLP? Contribute to the Community!