Moss Adams LLP

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014
3.5

Chris Schmidt

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance, but a heavy emphasis on amount of time your butt is in the chair (in 11 reviews)

• A wide array of clients and the opportunity to learn a lot in your first years (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, public accounting model is hard at times when moving up the ranks (in 10 reviews)

• Busy Season, public accounting just inst for me (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

An exciting, frustrating, and otherwise volatile road.

Current Employee - Senior Accountant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Moss Adams LLP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Significant growth creating opportunity. Several industry groups with extremely knowledgable leaders, interesting clients, and fun teams.

High quality individuals at all levels, partners show appreciation and commitment to building their teams.

Lots of communication from management. Generally not too many surprises. It feels that employees are listened to though there is always room for improvement.

Cons

The significant growth also strains resources. A lot of people are making a lot of sacrifices who deliberately did not sign up to work for the big four. When people start talking about leaving for the big four, we have a problem (which we do)

There's a lot of lessons learned the hard way. Training in soft skills and techinical skills at all levels have definite room for improvement. Expectations communicated to employees upstream and downstream could be more well defined.

Compensation leaves little to be desired. This is the bay area, I feel we are very under-paid for the cost of living we endure to be here. We have a robust employee benefit plan practice, but our own 401k doesn't give us a dime for 3 years, and afterwards only provides for an annual 3% contribution, no match, limited choices, overall a weak plan.

Continue to focus on improving communication, compensation, and training.

Great opportunity depending on the partner

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Moss Adams LLP full-time

Pros

People, Opportunity, Flexibility, Challenge, Exciting pace

Cons

Certain People, Hard work, High expectations

Great experience at growing and exciting firm

Current Employee - Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Moss Adams LLP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work with a highly talented, fun and energetic team

Cons

Long hours resulting from experienced growth, politics

Balance growth and employee morale

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place if you just want a job, horrible place to build a career.

Current Employee - Tax Senior  in  Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Tax Senior in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Moss Adams LLP full-time

Pros

Corporate managers are great. They're all very knowledgable and will not hesitate to explain technical issues with staff. Likewise with the corporate partners.

There is camaraderie between a lot of the younger employees. There are always people to go out to lunch with, people who are up to play basketball, and people you can go to happy hour with after work.

They also keep the kitchen stocked with a good variety of snacks and soda throughout the year.

Cons

The firm does not invest in its employees. They do not encourage employees to go out and network, and client interaction is almost nonexistent until you get close to the manager level. So, by the time you're a manager, you lack the soft skills necessary that's essential to progress in a public accounting career. You will only learn only if you create the opportunities yourself. But, you will also need to find the managers or partners who are willing to take you under their wing and develop you.

Promotions are very much based on time served as opposed to merit. From what I've seen, it does not matter if you're working on more difficult projects, or take on more responsibilities. It doesn't matter if your technical skills are leaps and bounds ahead of others. Most people in a class will be promoted together, regardless of the gap in technical knowledge, unless you really screw up.

Compensation does not correlate with performance. Regardless of your rating relative to your peers, pay within a "class" does not vary by much. They will keep employees within a narrow band, even between the lowest and highest performer. Raises and bonuses are not reflective of performance or your title. It does not reflect the quality of work produced, or the difficulty of projects you were on. Overall, it creates a complacent culture without the incentive to work hard. Essentially, just getting by is good enough.

Managers on the individual/wealth services side leaves something to be desired. A lot of those wealth services managers will not take the time to explain technical issues to ensure staff understands. Rather, they just tell you to look at prior year work papers.

HR has voiced that it is unprofessional for employees to talk about their compensation and raises. However, if everyone is compensated fairly based on performance, I'm sure employee moral would be a lot better.

The outlook of the firm looks grim. Overall, the group of partners are great. They're very smart, knowledgable, and a lot are from Big 4s. There are a few senior managers who could be partners one day, or would be great directors if that position existed with tax at Moss Adams. However, there is a huge drop off in talent after that. There is a pipeline in place to replenish these partners and senior managers as they retire or get promoted, unless they will be hiring from outside.

Pay and promote people based on performance.

Invest in and develop employees.

Listen to the results and comments from the engagement surveys instead of dismissing them as results that were expected.

Don't promise employees that the bonus will make up for less than expected raises when there is no intent to really make it up on bonuses.

UNDER APPRECIATED

Current Employee - Staff Accountant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Moss Adams LLP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of room for growth

Cons

Trying too hard to be like the big 4

LEARN TO TRAIN! Management should be reviewed on how well they can train and their ability to lead a team.

Poor Management

Former Employee - Tax Staff  in  Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Tax Staff in Campbell, CA

I worked at Moss Adams LLP full-time for less than a year

Pros

Wanted to you learn and room for career growth.

Cons

Terrible management and lack of clear direction. It's an accounting firm.

Make work a little more fun and have some more energy in the office

Growing company with focus on middlesize clients

Current Employee - Tax Manager
    Current Employee - Tax Manager

I have been working at Moss Adams LLP full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Allows flexibility, women friendly, appreciates employees

Cons

Becomes more and more a big four company, very structured, wants people to pick an industry early on.

Communicate better w I th employees, feedback is important

Waste of time communicating, morale at all time low

Former Employee - Staff Auditor  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Auditor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Moss Adams LLP full-time for more than a year

Pros

A wide array of clients and the opportunity to learn a lot in your first years.
    Benefits are okay, pay is in line with the standard for public accounting.
    Office is modern looking.

Cons

They make the culture seem so great when you are recruiting, but once you are in you start to notice that 99% of the people are miserable, sleep deprived and so stressed out. I've had people tell me they cry on Sundays thinking of coming into work on Monday, sad!
    They say they want communication and that they are there for you, big lie, if you communicate issues, they do not take what you say into consideration and you feel stupid for even attempting to communicate in the first place. If anything things get worse for you when you communicate.
    They set you up with a career advisor which you better hope is competent, because there are some people who should not be a career advisors and those people are not looking out for your best interest.
    The culture is very clicky, so if you are not in, then you are out and can will never be accepted.
    Managers and Seniors care more about who kisses their butt the most rather than who is capable of doing the job effectively.
    The people in this office think they are more intelligent then their cohorts in private industry and often speak poorly of people in private industry at the client location, which is very inappropriate! They do all this while complaining that those people get to go home at 5pm.
    They have procedures of how evaluations are done however, those procedures are not followed and they make up rules as they go.
    When I left, morale was at an all time low and rightfully so, this company says they are not like the big 4 however, it seems that is the direction they are headed towards. Most people in the office feel as though they are just another number.
    Oh and what's with the employee surveys they hound you to complete, best places to work, what a sham!

If you want communication from your staff, my suggestion is to listen to your people. There is a lot more going on then you know about and people are miserable.

It takes some luck

Current Employee - Manager  in  Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Moss Adams LLP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are some smart and fun people at Moss Adams, if you can burry yourself in the right industry group it can be great.

Cons

Not enough experienced employees to train new staff. You get thrown into the fire and when you sink it's all your fault. I you can't play the game you will lose.

I you never teach your dog to go to the bathroom outside, it isn't his fault when he goes inside. Similarly, of you don't take the time to train your employees and provide them accurate and timely feedback, it isn't their fault when they make a mistake.

My experience has been fabulous.

Current Employee - Tax Staff  in  Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Tax Staff in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Moss Adams LLP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible, welcoming to all kinds of individuals, professional, competative salaries, friendly people. I can't complain it has been great working here.

Cons

There really aren't too many outside the fact that its public accounting which can be high stress and long hours.

Worked for Moss Adams LLP? Contribute to the Community!