Motel 6 Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
62 reviews filtered by
2.5
Jim Amarosia

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, free apartment and the ability to get exposure to many aspects of the hotel manager's responsibilities are pluses (in 4 reviews)

• That only goes for housekeepers, front desk is a cake walk, I'd love to be sitting down, bunch of bums (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Front Desk Clerk, Manager on Duty, and General Manager (in 3 reviews)

• If your like myself and value the work life balance so you can plan evenings with friends you shouldn't work here (in 2 reviews)

1. I am a very goal oriented person ,eager to to perfo well

Current Employee - Houseperson in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Houseperson in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Motel 6

Pros

Its a nice environment with a lot of opportunity

Cons

Can't find any at the current time

Don't have any

An Adventure in Humanity

Current Employee - GSA in Denison, TX
    Current Employee - GSA in Denison, TX

I have been working at Motel 6 full-time (less than a year)

Pros

People! If your a people person like me, working for Motel 6 is great. Meeting and greeting all sorts of people, and having real conversations is priceless to me. It also, helps to have the greatest boss like I do.

Cons

People! Let's face it people can just be pills sometimes. I'm not talking candy coated either. Even this aspect of my job, bitter as it may be at times, has helped me to grow. To stretch and hone my customer service skills. I'm grateful.

Reach for targeted demographics. Stretch the boundaries of what's achievable with our brand. It's the little things that can mean the most, making the difference between a just satisfied and really happy customer.

3. Not bad, high turnover rate. Need better pay.

Current Employee - Night Auditor in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Night Auditor in Everett, WA

I have been working at Motel 6 part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Room to move up. Some benefits.

Cons

Low pay. management seems burned out.

Low pay.

5. It was an ok company to work for but I did not like the work environment.

I worked at Motel 6

Pros

I was given a flexible schedule, training was easy, they give you a opportunity to grow in the company if you are willing to put the work in.

Cons

My salary was enough for my needs or for the job I was doing. The work-life balance is good but the work environment is horrible. I would not recommend working there.

6. Not bad if you are junior management and up, not recommended at all if you are hired as front desk or housekeeper

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Motel 6

Pros

Its a good place to learn a trade and advance career-wise. Everyone is friendly, to your face, at first.

Cons

Employees. Lots of good hard working people, unfortunately due to the low wages, there's a very high turnover rate for employees. Motel 6 just can't keep people. All of the tools they give you to work with are outdated or obsolete, whether its property manager, or front desk staff. Their salary rates are laughable compared to what you can make in the food industry.

Corporate. As much as they try to feed you their "corporate culture" its all talk, each property does what they can with what little they've been given. There's a huge disconnect between the way employees get treated at the corporate office than the managers running each location. Seems as if HR department is only worried about potential lawsuits, not the well-being of employees. In the end its more than obvious that Upper management only cares about profit, employees are highly expendable. And don't think of taking a work job here if you care about trees, the amount of paper this company wastes DAILY is ridiculous.

The schedule. While it is stable for full time employees, the schedule is completely inflexible. On the flipside, part time is a bit of a mess. Your schedule will be changed, you'll frequently be told to come in early (to cut full time employee's overtime. They hate paying overtime). Sometimes it's 15 minutes before you're supposed to start, sometimes it's 3 hours. If you're schedule is very flexible, you probably won't be bothered by it, but it is something to keep in mind.

The property. You will constantly be reassuring guests, deflecting questions/comments, and generally having to fight an uphill battle against the condition of your property. The most common complaints I receive at my property: Strange smells. Strange stains. Cigarette burns in the smoking rooms. Cigarette burns in the non-smoking rooms. Cigarette burns in the bedding. Dingy and/or cracked sinks and bathtubs. Strange people hanging around the property. There's a bunch of police cars in the parking lot. I don't feel very safe/comfortable here.

Again, this varies between properties but at most locations you will have these issues. Seems as if upper management hate's spending money on properties. Maintenance and housekeeping/laundry work hard but there's only so much you can do before something just needs to be replaced, and chances are whatever it is wont be replaced anytime soon

- Safety. This job is a great way to become very familiar with the police officers in your community. The seedy cheap motel stereotype exists for a reason. My regular customers were mostly homeless, addicts, and prostitutes. Most are harmless and generally nice people, but some can make you really uncomfortable or be downright frightening. This is also something that varies by property, but in Texas, it's an issue at most Motel 6 properties.

Look up the definition of the word "streamline". Seems like everytime they choose to "streamline" a procedure at Motel 6 it only creates more busywork, paper waste and clutter.

I had fun cleaning rooms and helping my stay overs

Former Employee - Housekeeper in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Motel 6 (more than a year)

Pros

It challenges your ability to clean after other people

Cons

some of the people that stayed their

Upgrade the rooms

8. Ungrateful and unfaithful to their employees work

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in La Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in La Mesa, CA

I have been working at Motel 6 part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

No pros. Managers do not care about their jobs or training their staff the right way

Cons

Incompetent managers. Incompetent staff. No rewards. Racism exist at a low level.

Need on hiring better managers to run your properties. Once who encourage the harmony and well being of their staff.

9. Great management and employees

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Motel 6 full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great managers, great employees we all work as a team...we all look forward to holidays so much fun

Cons

Sad to hear other reviews were other motel 6 are not great like mine to work at

Keep up the good work

10. Management... what's management?

Current Employee - Night Auditor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Night Auditor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Motel 6 full-time (more than a year)

Pros

• Meeting interesting people
    • Management is never around, so you can pretty much do whatever you want
    • Certain "perks" I'd rather not admit

Cons

• Management is never around, so nothing ever gets done unless you do it yourself
    • Upper management only cares about profit, employees are highly expendable
    • Half of the rooms have serious maintenance issues... Corporate refuses to invest the money it would take to fix these issues, then blames the property maintenance for not fixing it.
    • Everything is completely outdated: Air conditioners from the '70s
    • Property Management System is clunky and inefficient

Basically, if you have ANY other options, don't work here.

Take care of your employees and properties. It's as simple as that.

Interesting

Former Employee - Night Auditor in Winnemucca, NV
    Former Employee - Night Auditor in Winnemucca, NV

I worked at Motel 6

Pros

The new people u get to meet every day

Cons

Staying out of employees drama

They should keep closer eye on there Management