Motel 6
www.motel6.com Carrollton, TX 5000+ Employees

Motel 6 Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Jim Amarosia

Great Place to learn the motel biz.

GSR (Current Employee)
    Albany, NY

Prosgood training, job is easy, able to socialize with a variety of people - the type of job you can make it either a part time job or a potential career. 8 hour shifts for GSR make hours a guarantee.

ConsRate of pay is low but the job requires very little effort. Job description states 50% of the time will be spent sitting.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold out for good workers, not just a resume in front of you - teamwork is vital in this type of business.

Good place to learn the basics of hospitality industry and how to deal with all kinds of people

Guest Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Irvine, CA

ProsThere are many shifts and hours available so you can fit work around your schedule. Lots and lots of downtime so I normally did homework or went online most of my shift. Best part about the job is meeting people from all different kinds of backgrounds: from businessmen, to tourists and everything in between. You get to befriend many guests, especially if they are staying to extended periods of time. Makes for great stories. Pay is close to minimum but the job is really easy and almost effortless, and there is always an opportunity to make tips. There are properties everywhere in the US so you can always request for a transfer in case you relocate.
    I see this as a perfect student job. Be there for a year or two to get experience and then look for a better job.

ConsBecause Motel 6 has low prices and does not require credit cards, it brings in all kinds of people from different backgrounds.
    Nothing ever gets done. If a room or the property ever needs work done or if new equipment is ever needed, it will take months for upper management to approve any sort of expense.
    Although there is some room for growth, salaries for management are very low considering they have to be on call 24/7. I worked at a few properties and I could tell that the job became everything in the managers' lives so they feel like they own the place.
    I saw many employee-manager disputes over the years, and the HR department is completely oblivious and always sides with management (even if it is obvious the employee was right).

Advice to Senior ManagementProperties will become understaffed because of lack of planning (like for peak seasons), and a lack of loyalty to dedicated employees, then management will hire the first person that applies for a job instead of waiting for a more suited applicant. Should definitely install and follow through with an incentive program that rewards hard working employees. Management is also under-supervised by Area managers and a lot of the SOP is broken by managers themselves.

This was a good company to work for!

Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee)
    Midvale, UT

ProsShifts were predictable. Morning, afternoon, night audit. Laid back environment. Great opportunity to talk with people that are traveling all over for vacations or work.

ConsNot a lot of room for advancement. :( Front Desk Clerk, Manager on Duty, and General Manager. That's it. I wish there were more positions that you could work up too.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease refrain from hiring employees family members i.e. Grandma, Mom, Son. It makes it very intimidating for other employees. Cross training would be awesome. Train your front desk clerk's for housekeeping, that way when they are behind there is a chance to help out, thus creating less stress on housekeeping.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Basic Training in the Hospitality Industry

Front Desk Clerk (Current Employee)
    Deming, NM

ProsYou get to meet very interesting people sharing great stories of their lives with you. The work is pretty easy and when there is downtime which happens a lot at this location, your allowed to use the internet and watch TV in the lobby to help the time go by a little faster. Your pretty much by yourself all through your shift.

ConsThis is a franchise location with no benefits, no paid time off, no vacation days and you will have to work holiday if it falls on your schedule. This property where I work at is run down and gets a lot of complaint from the guests, which will make you or break you just like boot camp. If you can survive and learn here you can make it anywhere. The owners have not put any money into fixing it up making are job harder. There just running it into the ground until they can't squeeze any money out of it. Then they will drop it on some other poor sap. When they took over this property a couple years ago they raised the prices from $35.99 to $50.99 and did no improvement to the place it at all. When I started working here two years ago we were selling 50-60 rooms a night. Lately we're lucky if we get 15-20 rooms, which means they will cut our hours. The owners ask what is going on as if they don't know. They chased away guests with price gouging.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis owner needs to get out of the hospitality industry or take some business classes from the local college because they haven't a clue on how to run a success business especially in the motel arena. They claim that they have been doing this for over 15 years and grew up within a generation of Hotel owner (their parents). They learned bad habits and practices from the folks and have been doing it all wrong the whole time. They need to take down the shrine to their gods because I pretty sure it is breaking employment laws and I and others find it intrusive into our religious beliefs.

Interesting

Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee)
    Dania Beach, FL

ProsI liked working here because I got to meet different type of people from different places of the world

Consdiscrimination and drama. they didn't give raises unless you kiss your way they are very prejudice. and they like to bring their home problems to the job and corporate does not take care of their employees you get hurt they fire you no matter how good of an asset you are they will keep the ones stealing then the good people

Advice to Senior Managementalways get to know your employees and appreciate the ones that do their job never take them for granted and always listen to your employees

Not for everybody, but for some people it's an mother f**cking adventure of a lifetime.

GSR (Current Employee)
    Saint Cloud, MN

ProsI'm lucky to have wonderful management at my location (Saint Cloud, MN) someone who genuinely cares about the environment he works in and takes pride in our team. I've been a small part of building the best Motel 6 in the world. I've had the chance to handle dozens of situations without being micromanaged and to learn from my mistakes. I'm more confident then I ever thought possible and have grown immensely under this sort of pressure.

ConsThe reasons I love my job won't apply to all motel 6's don't think of this as a review of all Motel 6 but as a review of Motel 6 Saint Cloud.

Advice to Senior ManagementI've seen some very sketchy General Mangers please be more careful with who you hire specifically for that position. A quality I would recommend you look for are people who are very picky when it comes to hiring.

Feel like being Micromanaged by incompetence?!

Guest Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Saint Joseph, MO

ProsDecent hours
    Got to watch TV on overnight Shift

ConsThe manager was stealing from the company and you have no contact to anyone higher up so there wasn't anything to do about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementDistrict Managers need to be more involved in all their branches on ALL shifts. Your job is not 9-5 when you have people working over night.

Very Rewarding

Assistant General Manager (Current Employee)
    Saint Cloud, MN

ProsI'll likely go on to make more money in the future but I'm pretty confident nothing will be as rewarding.

ConsDepending on your location It's a hit or miss,, I'm sure some managers take advantage of their employees, or just manipulate them lucky this has not been the case in Saint Cloud.

Advice to Senior ManagementGSR's should not be chained to a desk,

Great Company

ProsGreat Company, Great Place, Ample Opprtunity

ConsNothing I can think off

Advice to Senior ManagementAwesome work

Pretty decent

Housekeeping (Former Employee)
    Dale, IN

ProsMy general manager was great! We had a pool party in the summer and he even made us food for a Thanksgiving lunch.

It's easy work honestly.

If you like to work independently you'll love it. You get your assigned rooms for the day and you're off on your own.

Not really any time limits on how fast to get the rooms clean, as long as you get them done by the end of the day.

ConsLow pay.

Can be pretty disgusting at times. I've had to clean poop off of beds, so just be prepared for anything.

It's a pretty cheap place to rent a room so a lot of people will rent a room and party in it and trash it. Puke wherever, pee wherever. A lot of times you'll clean a room that smells like a frat house *beer and body odor*

We got new mattresses for every room in the hotel and the housekeepers, 3 of us, were the ones that had to take all of them out of the room, down three flights of stairs, and out in the parking lot to a giant dumpster *did not get extra pay for this, was extremely tiresome. they should have hired someone else to do it*

Advice to Senior ManagementHousekeepers should be paid better. Remember who cleans the rooms for the guests. Housekeepers make or break a company.

Worked for Motel 6? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Motel 6 reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Motel 6 CEO Jim Amarosia. All 36 reviews posted anonymously by Motel 6 employees.