Motel 6

Jim Amarosia

Front Desk

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Motel 6 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

paycheck with minimum wage

Cons

No appreciation or recognition. very little yearly raise,like a slap in the face after doing a lot of sincere hard work

need a good Property Manager and a very detail oriented housekeeping supervisor and team

General Manager

Former Employee - General Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - General Manager in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Motel 6 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free apartment, very little supervision from your direct report.

Cons

Low wages, 24 hours on call. Training is ineffective due to locations of other properties. You don't get support and they are quick to want to terminate based on service scores regardless of profits.

Get it in writing

Simple job, simple pay

I have been working at Motel 6

Pros

Nice and quiet at night

Cons

you have to work every night

A living pay is what keeps people

Maintenance Technician for AZ Construction, (Maintenance Technician for three Motel's and three Medical Buildings)

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Bourbonnais, IL
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Bourbonnais, IL

I have been working at Motel 6 full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You work hard, and when the job is done, you may get a thank you at times. time off is looking for a two week off with pay and my looking for the benefits for all the hard work , and looking forward for the consideration of time away from my family with compensation as years move ahead.

Cons

Keeping Godly qualities and principles as a source for my personal growth. Consider each person with qualities to help them moving each person to a perk level of leadership. so they each have qualities and principles that leads them each.

Qualities and principles are perfect to solve problems, and perfect why to consider each person to his personal level of qualities that leads them to leadership and advisement.

BED BUGS! / /No schedule(On call) DO NOT WORK HERE UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TOO!

Former Employee - Housekeeping in Cedar Park, TX
    Former Employee - Housekeeping in Cedar Park, TX

I worked at Motel 6 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Well if you don't have a life or things to get done outside of work this is the place for you. There always short staffed.

Cons

-Your on call we never had a schedule the manager would call us at 7:30 - 8:00 AM to tell us we had off so its impossible to plan things. If your like myself and value the work life balance so you can plan evenings with friends you shouldn't work here.

-They don't care about what you have to do outside of work. If your trying to go to school like most of us there where your going to have to quit.

-Bed bugs! Bed bugs! Bed bugs! They don't tell you this when you get hired. They don't tell you what to look for or train you! Me and the other housekeepers got bed bugs at our house from them. They will try and deny that it was from there so you will need to collect evidence (I consider parasites hazardous).

-Management and front desk did zip to help even with laundry so we always ran out in the first hour and had to constantly run up and down stairs. At most hotels front desk is supposed to do laundry instead of just smoking cigarettes and talking to every one, they never got in trouble for not helping.

- Guest never tip. I wouldn't be surprised if management kept it for themselves most of the time either that or the lower class people that stay there don't think about it. Work at a high end motel if you want tips.

-$8.25 hourly

-Inform your employees of bed bugs and what they look like and own up to your responsibility as an employer when we get bed bugs at our houses from your establishment. Instead of ignoring us and saying we got them from some where else.

-Encourage guest to tip housekeepers unless you want to raise our hourly pay rate. $8.25 is not worth it. Housekeeping does the worst job and where the only ones on call. Why does front desk get paid more to sit around. Every one has computer skills now a days. There job isn't hard.

-Create a schedule for them! It isn't hard and people would stick around longer if there not working 6 - 7 days a week. It should be a hint when you hire a hand full of people and none of them show up for the first day or quit after the first one.

-When your employees come to you with some thing that will hinder there ability to get to work. You could at least let them get an hour or two off so they can deal with it.

-Management should not tease there employees they didn't like it. Even if it's only poking fun.

-You should fine the people that trash the rooms. If you fined them for it when they stayed there. Once they left you wouldn't need 3 - 4 of us in one room just to clean it in an hour or two. You should all so fine the people that let there pets urinate and defecate all over there rooms.

Do not work here !

I worked at Motel 6

Pros

You can be a slacker an work here.

Cons

Management is horrible. broken time clock. missing hours,

Who ever owns this motel 6 . Needs all new management

Great

Current Employee - Front Desk Clerk in Vernon, CT
    Current Employee - Front Desk Clerk in Vernon, CT

I have been working at Motel 6 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Dealing with the public helping guest and deliver outstanding customer service

Cons

NO room for growth and the owner didn't care about his employes

Resident General Manager opening? Run the other way!

Current Employee - Resident General Manager
    Current Employee - Resident General Manager

I have been working at Motel 6 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are a few front desk shifts on weekdays or Sunday PM that aren't very tough, and could work for a college student trying to get experience in the hospitality industry.

Cons

Living on-site, woefully inadequate compensation for someone on-call 24 x 7. Constant drama and turnover from maintenance and housekeeping employees who may just have been released from prison, or first job in the country. Refusal of company to invest in non-renovated properties; not even vendors want to work for us. Poor compensation at every level makes it very hard to improve staffing or develop future managers.

Hold guests accountable for damage, increase deposits and minimum age. Provide security when necessary. End the nepotism at property level. Pay enough so that at least a few decent management and maintenance employees can be found. Tighten the cash drawer policies, so that 2nd level managers (managers on duty and relief managers) don't have carte blance to steal. Don't allow properties to deteriorate; either fix them at the cost of doing business, or cut them loose. As for seniot management- stop all the undermining. No manager can be successful with zero support from either above or below. Stop piling on more training without first allowing the labor hours. All companies are trying to get more with less, but from a bird's eye view, it looks like Motel 6 as a company wants "something for nothing."

Good place to learn the basics of hospitality industry and how to deal with all kinds of people

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Irvine, CA

I worked at Motel 6 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are many shifts and hours available so you can fit work around your schedule. Lots and lots of downtime so I normally did homework or went online most of my shift. Best part about the job is meeting people from all different kinds of backgrounds: from businessmen, to tourists and everything in between. You get to befriend many guests, especially if they are staying to extended periods of time. Makes for great stories. Pay is close to minimum but the job is really easy and almost effortless, and there is always an opportunity to make tips. There are properties everywhere in the US so you can always request for a transfer in case you relocate.
    I see this as a perfect student job. Be there for a year or two to get experience and then look for a better job.

Cons

Because Motel 6 has low prices and does not require credit cards, it brings in all kinds of people from different backgrounds.
    Nothing ever gets done. If a room or the property ever needs work done or if new equipment is ever needed, it will take months for upper management to approve any sort of expense.
    Although there is some room for growth, salaries for management are very low considering they have to be on call 24/7. I worked at a few properties and I could tell that the job became everything in the managers' lives so they feel like they own the place.
    I saw many employee-manager disputes over the years, and the HR department is completely oblivious and always sides with management (even if it is obvious the employee was right).

Properties will become understaffed because of lack of planning (like for peak seasons), and a lack of loyalty to dedicated employees, then management will hire the first person that applies for a job instead of waiting for a more suited applicant. Should definitely install and follow through with an incentive program that rewards hard working employees. Management is also under-supervised by Area managers and a lot of the SOP is broken by managers themselves.

One of the worst companies I've ever worked for.

Former Employee - GSR in Cutler Bay, FL
    Former Employee - GSR in Cutler Bay, FL

I worked at Motel 6 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Absolutely nothing. Worst company I've ever worked for.

Cons

This company does not care about it's employees or guest. Management will fire you for going into a diabetic coma and not calling in (yes this really happened to someone). Dead rats in the ceiling above the front desk, and we're breathing that smell in, report it to management and they don't care. Not to mention there is no a/c in the lobby for the past 4 months! GSR's are so hot they are getting nose bleeds and heat exhaustion. Called human resources and they won't do anything. Employees have to come in when they're ill with the stomach flu because you will lose your job even with a doctors note! Any guest who threatens to call corporate gets put on the DNR list to avoid CRN's from counting against them. Management only cares about his scores so he can get the manager of the year award.

If you want your property to do well, you should make sure your employees are happy. A little compassion and understanding goes a long way. Just because we're you subordinate doesn't make us animals that can be mistreated.