Motel 6 Reviews

Updated August 5, 2014
Updated August 5, 2014

2.8

Jim Amarosia

Good place to learn the basics of hospitality industry and how to deal with all kinds of people

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Irvine, CA

I worked at Motel 6 full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are many shifts and hours available so you can fit work around your schedule. Lots and lots of downtime so I normally did homework or went online most of my shift. Best part about the job is meeting people from all different kinds of backgrounds: from businessmen, to tourists and everything in between. You get to befriend many guests, especially if they are staying to extended periods of time. Makes for great stories. Pay is close to minimum but the job is really easy and almost effortless, and there is always an opportunity to make tips. There are properties everywhere in the US so you can always request for a transfer in case you relocate.
    I see this as a perfect student job. Be there for a year or two to get experience and then look for a better job.

Cons

Because Motel 6 has low prices and does not require credit cards, it brings in all kinds of people from different backgrounds.
    Nothing ever gets done. If a room or the property ever needs work done or if new equipment is ever needed, it will take months for upper management to approve any sort of expense.
    Although there is some room for growth, salaries for management are very low considering they have to be on call 24/7. I worked at a few properties and I could tell that the job became everything in the managers' lives so they feel like they own the place.
    I saw many employee-manager disputes over the years, and the HR department is completely oblivious and always sides with management (even if it is obvious the employee was right).

Properties will become understaffed because of lack of planning (like for peak seasons), and a lack of loyalty to dedicated employees, then management will hire the first person that applies for a job instead of waiting for a more suited applicant. Should definitely install and follow through with an incentive program that rewards hard working employees. Management is also under-supervised by Area managers and a lot of the SOP is broken by managers themselves.

Resident General Manager opening? Run the other way!

Current Employee - Resident General Manager
    Current Employee - Resident General Manager

I have been working at Motel 6 full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are a few front desk shifts on weekdays or Sunday PM that aren't very tough, and could work for a college student trying to get experience in the hospitality industry.

Cons

Living on-site, woefully inadequate compensation for someone on-call 24 x 7. Constant drama and turnover from maintenance and housekeeping employees who may just have been released from prison, or first job in the country. Refusal of company to invest in non-renovated properties; not even vendors want to work for us. Poor compensation at every level makes it very hard to improve staffing or develop future managers.

Hold guests accountable for damage, increase deposits and minimum age. Provide security when necessary. End the nepotism at property level. Pay enough so that at least a few decent management and maintenance employees can be found. Tighten the cash drawer policies, so that 2nd level managers (managers on duty and relief managers) don't have carte blance to steal. Don't allow properties to deteriorate; either fix them at the cost of doing business, or cut them loose. As for seniot management- stop all the undermining. No manager can be successful with zero support from either above or below. Stop piling on more training without first allowing the labor hours. All companies are trying to get more with less, but from a bird's eye view, it looks like Motel 6 as a company wants "something for nothing."

One of the worst companies I've ever worked for.

Former Employee - GSR  in  Cutler Bay, FL
    Former Employee - GSR in Cutler Bay, FL

I worked at Motel 6 full-time for less than a year

Pros

Absolutely nothing. Worst company I've ever worked for.

Cons

This company does not care about it's employees or guest. Management will fire you for going into a diabetic coma and not calling in (yes this really happened to someone). Dead rats in the ceiling above the front desk, and we're breathing that smell in, report it to management and they don't care. Not to mention there is no a/c in the lobby for the past 4 months! GSR's are so hot they are getting nose bleeds and heat exhaustion. Called human resources and they won't do anything. Employees have to come in when they're ill with the stomach flu because you will lose your job even with a doctors note! Any guest who threatens to call corporate gets put on the DNR list to avoid CRN's from counting against them. Management only cares about his scores so he can get the manager of the year award.

If you want your property to do well, you should make sure your employees are happy. A little compassion and understanding goes a long way. Just because we're you subordinate doesn't make us animals that can be mistreated.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to learn the motel biz.

Current Employee - GSR  in  Albany, NY
    Current Employee - GSR in Albany, NY

I have been working at Motel 6 full-time for more than a year

Pros

good training, job is easy, able to socialize with a variety of people - the type of job you can make it either a part time job or a potential career. 8 hour shifts for GSR make hours a guarantee.

Cons

Rate of pay is low but the job requires very little effort. Job description states 50% of the time will be spent sitting.

Hold out for good workers, not just a resume in front of you - teamwork is vital in this type of business.

This job is horrible

Current Employee - Motel 6  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Motel 6 in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Motel 6 part-time for more than a year

Pros

Just to have a job

Cons

Alot of drama and very unprofessional

Need to be more professional and pay more money

sloppy

Current Employee - Housekeeping  in  Lawrence, KS
    Current Employee - Housekeeping in Lawrence, KS

I have been working at Motel 6 full-time

Pros

There really is not anything about this company that is a pro . There are Illegal thing that take place in there and many of it employ looks the other way.

Cons

The customers are allowed to do illegal things in this hotel and the owners and managment look the other way. The rooms are very dirty and the sheets are very stained

get ahold of your company

This was a good company to work for!

Former Employee - Front Desk Clerk  in  Midvale, UT
    Former Employee - Front Desk Clerk in Midvale, UT

I worked at Motel 6 full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Shifts were predictable. Morning, afternoon, night audit. Laid back environment. Great opportunity to talk with people that are traveling all over for vacations or work.

Cons

Not a lot of room for advancement. :( Front Desk Clerk, Manager on Duty, and General Manager. That's it. I wish there were more positions that you could work up too.

Please refrain from hiring employees family members i.e. Grandma, Mom, Son. It makes it very intimidating for other employees. Cross training would be awesome. Train your front desk clerk's for housekeeping, that way when they are behind there is a chance to help out, thus creating less stress on housekeeping.

Basic Training in the Hospitality Industry

Current Employee - Front Desk Clerk  in  Deming, NM
    Current Employee - Front Desk Clerk in Deming, NM

I have been working at Motel 6 full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to meet very interesting people sharing great stories of their lives with you. The work is pretty easy and when there is downtime which happens a lot at this location, your allowed to use the internet and watch TV in the lobby to help the time go by a little faster. Your pretty much by yourself all through your shift.

Cons

This is a franchise location with no benefits, no paid time off, no vacation days and you will have to work holiday if it falls on your schedule. This property where I work at is run down and gets a lot of complaint from the guests, which will make you or break you just like boot camp. If you can survive and learn here you can make it anywhere. The owners have not put any money into fixing it up making are job harder. There just running it into the ground until they can't squeeze any money out of it. Then they will drop it on some other poor sap. When they took over this property a couple years ago they raised the prices from $35.99 to $50.99 and did no improvement to the place it at all. When I started working here two years ago we were selling 50-60 rooms a night. Lately we're lucky if we get 15-20 rooms, which means they will cut our hours. The owners ask what is going on as if they don't know. They chased away guests with price gouging.

This owner needs to get out of the hospitality industry or take some business classes from the local college because they haven't a clue on how to run a success business especially in the motel arena. They claim that they have been doing this for over 15 years and grew up within a generation of Hotel owner (their parents). They learned bad habits and practices from the folks and have been doing it all wrong the whole time. They need to take down the shrine to their gods because I pretty sure it is breaking employment laws and I and others find it intrusive into our religious beliefs.

Interesting

Former Employee - Front Desk Clerk  in  Dania Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Front Desk Clerk in Dania Beach, FL

I worked at Motel 6 full-time for more than a year

Pros

I liked working here because I got to meet different type of people from different places of the world

Cons

discrimination and drama. they didn't give raises unless you kiss your way they are very prejudice. and they like to bring their home problems to the job and corporate does not take care of their employees you get hurt they fire you no matter how good of an asset you are they will keep the ones stealing then the good people

always get to know your employees and appreciate the ones that do their job never take them for granted and always listen to your employees

Feel like being Micromanaged by incompetence?!

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative  in  Saint Joseph, MO
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Saint Joseph, MO

I have been working at Motel 6 part-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent hours
    Got to watch TV on overnight Shift

Cons

The manager was stealing from the company and you have no contact to anyone higher up so there wasn't anything to do about it.

District Managers need to be more involved in all their branches on ALL shifts. Your job is not 9-5 when you have people working over night.

Worked for Motel 6? Contribute to the Community!