Mothercare Reviews

Updated August 5, 2014

3.1

Mothercare CEO Simon Calver
Simon Calver

Worked at for 3 years, many long standing members of staff who are very loyal to the company, enjoyed my time there

Former Employee - Administrator  in  Watford, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Administrator in Watford, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Mothercare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good working hours, good team spirit, good benefits, bonuses

Cons

Redundancies lots of them and staff really loved working there same

Easy but boring

Current Employee - Retail Assistant  in  Stockport, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Retail Assistant in Stockport, England (UK)

I have been working at Mothercare part-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked there for 2 years, for 4 hours a week on a Saturday or Sunday. Working only 4 hours a week, it was just what I needed at the time. The hours were good, the staff were friendly, and for somebody who had anything in common with the other staff, it would have been perfect. I was also given a discount card (however I never used this as I had no children to spend it on). There were a couple of staff nights out, however I never went to these- most of the staff had been working there a lot longer than me, so already knew each other very well. Considering I was only working 4 hours a week though, the managers probably did their best to make sure I had enough to do.

Cons

I had very little in common with most of the other people who worked there, so although we managed to maintain a friendly atmosphere, most of the time it was very boring. There was no staff banter, nobody ever really seemed like they wanted to be there, and there was never very much to do (or that I was qualified to do). There weren't many work nights out due to many of the staff being parents to young children, and as I was a lot younger than everyone else, I never really felt part of the team. I was given a certain amount of training, but after two years of me working there, the managers decided to bring in the 'dream team', who insisted that we learned about all the different types of customers, made us ask customers six questions as soon as they entered the store, and re interviewed us all in order to ensure only the best people were employed. As I was intending to leave to go to University at the time, this was fine. However, if I wanted to stay, I would say that I was extremely unprepared for the interview, as this was my first job and I had no idea what to expect. Also, the uniforms were horrible. I also wasn't really given much training, meaning that even after two years, I still had no idea what I was doing for most things. This job was convenient at the time, but I never really felt like a valued member of staff and I never really knew what my purpose was, as there was very little that I was trained to do. Finally, the music was TERRIBLE. The same CD of about ten songs was played continuously for my 4 hour shift, making me dread going into work purely for the music.

Make it obvious what's important from the start. If staff NEED to know how to put a pram together in order to do the job properly, make this obvious from the beginning. If working at Mothercare is someone's first job, make sure they understand things properly. If a 'dream team' are brought in, make sure the whole team of staff are prepared for it. I was planning on leaving anyway but not everyone was!

disorganized chaos, poor upper management

Former Employee - Assistant Manager/Acting Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager/Acting Store Manager

I worked at Mothercare full-time for more than a year

Pros

The team was great, good people with a lot of time for each other. Everybody had your back. Good progression opportunities if you were liked and had a good attitude. From a sales adviser point of view, an OK company to work for. From a management point of view, absolute nightmare.

Cons

HQ are caught up in their own world of spreadsheets rather than looking at what is actually happening in store. The space planning was all done by a spreadsheet rather than listening to what the management team had to say about their store in their town.
    Stock planning was poor. Stores always had far too much product that didn't sell, and HQ would just send them more and more so that it could just take up space and rot in the stock rooms. They were always out of stock in store and online of the products that people actually wanted.

Lots of pressure on management teams with now reward, or even thanks. Silly decisions were made at a senior level that to them seemed small (like changing sale launches last minute, getting new POS graphics to be rolled out and then changing it again a week later) but in reality it took up a lot of time from the staff and distracted them from their tasks. Often these kind of things would have to be done out of hours, but did we get any extra budget to cover the unnecessary and extensive overtime? Of course not.

Listen to the management teams in store. They know more about which products sell and which departments require more space in their store than an excel spreadsheet does.

Get in some new talent within the sourcing, supply chain and space planning/merchandising departments. People who know what they are doing and can sort out the mess.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Supervisor

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Corby, Northamptonshire, East Midlands, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Corby, Northamptonshire, East Midlands, England (UK)

I have been working at Mothercare part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great friendly staff, plenty to do and different new things every day to deal with and fits around my family

Cons

not much of a bonus scheme and not alot of pay rises or even recognition

Make sure you include your team you need to work with your team and if you dont involve them then it could lead to a very difficult work place

Good company to work with, great starting point for a career in buying/merchandising

Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant  in  Watford, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant in Watford, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Mothercare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- A great tight knit team with a great mix of experience; much to learn from one another and share knowledge.
    - Friendly atmosphere to work in and a great deal to learn from senior experienced employees who actually train new employees.
    - Excellent perks for mothers and mothers to be, fathers and father to be.
    - Potential to progress is dependant on the individuals drive and dedication.

Cons

- Personal growth can be hidered due to lack of preofessional training.
    - Lack of appreciation and recognition to those who don't shout and scream their achievements.
    - Generally poor marketing of products i.e. media coverage.

A training programme needs to be put in place along side training with experienced employees (in particular training of systems used).

A great company to work for

Former Employee - Website Manager  in  Watford, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Website Manager in Watford, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Mothercare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Mothercare is a flexible company, with strong family values, meaning that achieving a good work/life balance is easier. A good employee discount and a low cost staff shop for all at staff as well. Plus a discounted staff restaurant at the head office. They offer support and training to all employees and recognise hard work and potential. The team are all committed and hard working, but there is still the opportunity to have fun, and they socialise regularly which helps with team spirit.

Cons

The communication/integration could be better between the departments. I worked in Direct and this was like our own little bubble at times.

I would be a good idea to have all new starters spend a few days working in a store, to get a better understanding of the challenges they face and also the products.

Love it!

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Harrow, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Harrow, England (UK)

I have been working at Mothercare full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great management, Pay, So much support from all departments. One big happy Family! Everyone gets on with each other and the pension rate is really good too

Cons

The only con I can think of is not having time off over November and December

Ok

I worked at Mothercare

Pros

Relaxed environment. Nice managers. Rarely called in on days off

Cons

Basic pay. Constant check up from senior management

Great team spirit in store, HQ could do more to listen

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Mothercare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team who were had all been with the company for years. Great company to work for if you are expecting or have children as the benefits of discount and time off etc.. are very appealing for mothers (however not so exciting for male workers whith no family!)

Cons

Very difficult to persuade HQ to look at stores on an individual basis, store managers struggled to get the right stock in for their stores. Space planners looked at a spreadsheet rather than listened to what the store managers knew about their own stores.

Listen to store managers, they are paid to develop the business and you want them to take more ownership of their business, allow them the opportunity to express their needs in their stores so they can show you their reasons behind their ideas.

It was awful

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Lincoln, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Lincoln, England (UK)

I worked at Mothercare full-time for less than a year

Pros

the customers and the pay

Cons

the people who worked their were very productive, in my first few shifts you were treated like rubbish if you did something wrong you werent allowed to learn and glow and develop within the company, also not good if your a young member staff. i left because of this. luckily i hopefully have a better career that i can do.

i felt i was treated different as i was younger this should not be happened as an adult now, i look back and feel it was disgusting the way i was spoken to by both less understanding management, respect is a two way stick and that shouldnt be disregarded when its a younger person.

Worked for Mothercare? Contribute to the Community!