Mothercare

3.2

Mark Newton-Jones
1 Rating

Good place to work

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Mothercare part-time (more than an year)

Pros

good place to work, friendly environment for staff and customers,

Cons

Not enough older boys stock, need more training in store,

make sure all staff know that when put in a different department they know what is expected of them i.e brand standards..

I learnt a lot whilst working for Mothercare, as well as having a professional and enjoyable experience.

Former Employee - Customer Adviser in Chelmsford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Adviser in Chelmsford, England (UK)

I worked at Mothercare part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a very professional company selling quality products. I believe they are very good at what they do and most staff are very knowledgeable with what they are selling. I only worked at Mothercare part time whilst I was studying, so for me it suited my work-life balance. It benefited me because I learnt a lot across all areas, including team work, customer service and about many of the products.

Cons

The time off policies are similar to any other retail companies for part time staff. This was however sometimes tricky for me because of my course I was studying involved quite a few work experiences abroad which meant I used up my holiday time very quickly however I knew there was nothing I could do to change that. A con that stands out for me as a member of staff is that company policies regarding returns and targets changed too regularly and nothing was set in stone. It was as though every week I went to work something else important had changed which made it difficult for me to keep on top of it. I also found that I wasn't trained in as many areas that I would like to have been which held me back from progressing within the company.

Advice I would give is to have policies- particularly regarding returns, more set in stone as oppose to changing every week. I would say a lot of the target schemes were not achievable for part time staff- I found this also lacked motivation in certain members of staff that never met targets for this reason due to so much pressure from management.

Awful!

Former Employee - Customer Adviser in Torquay, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Adviser in Torquay, England (UK)

I worked at Mothercare part-time (more than an year)

Pros

meeting some lovely customers. The nice feeling that you have helped someone in what can be a scary time.

Cons

Management- power hungry and rude!
    (In the site I worked at).

Treat every staff member with the same level of respect you would expect- we are still human!!

Worked at for 3 years, many long standing members of staff who are very loyal to the company, enjoyed my time there

Former Employee - Administrator in Watford, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Administrator in Watford, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Mothercare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good working hours, good team spirit, good benefits, bonuses

Cons

Redundancies lots of them and staff really loved working there same

Easy but boring

Current Employee - Retail Assistant in Stockport, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Retail Assistant in Stockport, England (UK)

I have been working at Mothercare part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked there for 2 years, for 4 hours a week on a Saturday or Sunday. Working only 4 hours a week, it was just what I needed at the time. The hours were good, the staff were friendly, and for somebody who had anything in common with the other staff, it would have been perfect. I was also given a discount card (however I never used this as I had no children to spend it on). There were a couple of staff nights out, however I never went to these- most of the staff had been working there a lot longer than me, so already knew each other very well. Considering I was only working 4 hours a week though, the managers probably did their best to make sure I had enough to do.

Cons

I had very little in common with most of the other people who worked there, so although we managed to maintain a friendly atmosphere, most of the time it was very boring. There was no staff banter, nobody ever really seemed like they wanted to be there, and there was never very much to do (or that I was qualified to do). There weren't many work nights out due to many of the staff being parents to young children, and as I was a lot younger than everyone else, I never really felt part of the team. I was given a certain amount of training, but after two years of me working there, the managers decided to bring in the 'dream team', who insisted that we learned about all the different types of customers, made us ask customers six questions as soon as they entered the store, and re interviewed us all in order to ensure only the best people were employed. As I was intending to leave to go to University at the time, this was fine. However, if I wanted to stay, I would say that I was extremely unprepared for the interview, as this was my first job and I had no idea what to expect. Also, the uniforms were horrible. I also wasn't really given much training, meaning that even after two years, I still had no idea what I was doing for most things. This job was convenient at the time, but I never really felt like a valued member of staff and I never really knew what my purpose was, as there was very little that I was trained to do. Finally, the music was TERRIBLE. The same CD of about ten songs was played continuously for my 4 hour shift, making me dread going into work purely for the music.

Make it obvious what's important from the start. If staff NEED to know how to put a pram together in order to do the job properly, make this obvious from the beginning. If working at Mothercare is someone's first job, make sure they understand things properly. If a 'dream team' are brought in, make sure the whole team of staff are prepared for it. I was planning on leaving anyway but not everyone was!

disorganized chaos, poor upper management

Former Employee - Assistant Manager/Acting Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager/Acting Store Manager

I worked at Mothercare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The team was great, good people with a lot of time for each other. Everybody had your back. Good progression opportunities if you were liked and had a good attitude. From a sales adviser point of view, an OK company to work for. From a management point of view, absolute nightmare.

Cons

HQ are caught up in their own world of spreadsheets rather than looking at what is actually happening in store. The space planning was all done by a spreadsheet rather than listening to what the management team had to say about their store in their town.
    Stock planning was poor. Stores always had far too much product that didn't sell, and HQ would just send them more and more so that it could just take up space and rot in the stock rooms. They were always out of stock in store and online of the products that people actually wanted.

Lots of pressure on management teams with now reward, or even thanks. Silly decisions were made at a senior level that to them seemed small (like changing sale launches last minute, getting new POS graphics to be rolled out and then changing it again a week later) but in reality it took up a lot of time from the staff and distracted them from their tasks. Often these kind of things would have to be done out of hours, but did we get any extra budget to cover the unnecessary and extensive overtime? Of course not.

Listen to the management teams in store. They know more about which products sell and which departments require more space in their store than an excel spreadsheet does.

Get in some new talent within the sourcing, supply chain and space planning/merchandising departments. People who know what they are doing and can sort out the mess.

Supervisor

Current Employee - Supervisor in Corby, Northamptonshire, East Midlands, England (UK)

I have been working at Mothercare part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great friendly staff, plenty to do and different new things every day to deal with and fits around my family

Cons

not much of a bonus scheme and not alot of pay rises or even recognition

Make sure you include your team you need to work with your team and if you dont involve them then it could lead to a very difficult work place

Good company to work with, great starting point for a career in buying/merchandising

Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant in Watford, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Mothercare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- A great tight knit team with a great mix of experience; much to learn from one another and share knowledge.
    - Friendly atmosphere to work in and a great deal to learn from senior experienced employees who actually train new employees.
    - Excellent perks for mothers and mothers to be, fathers and father to be.
    - Potential to progress is dependant on the individuals drive and dedication.

Cons

- Personal growth can be hidered due to lack of preofessional training.
    - Lack of appreciation and recognition to those who don't shout and scream their achievements.
    - Generally poor marketing of products i.e. media coverage.

A training programme needs to be put in place along side training with experienced employees (in particular training of systems used).

A great company to work for

Former Employee - Website Manager in Watford, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Website Manager in Watford, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Mothercare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Mothercare is a flexible company, with strong family values, meaning that achieving a good work/life balance is easier. A good employee discount and a low cost staff shop for all at staff as well. Plus a discounted staff restaurant at the head office. They offer support and training to all employees and recognise hard work and potential. The team are all committed and hard working, but there is still the opportunity to have fun, and they socialise regularly which helps with team spirit.

Cons

The communication/integration could be better between the departments. I worked in Direct and this was like our own little bubble at times.

I would be a good idea to have all new starters spend a few days working in a store, to get a better understanding of the challenges they face and also the products.

Love it!

Current Employee - Supervisor in Harrow, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Harrow, England (UK)

I have been working at Mothercare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great management, Pay, So much support from all departments. One big happy Family! Everyone gets on with each other and the pension rate is really good too

Cons

The only con I can think of is not having time off over November and December

Mothercare Photos