Motherhood Maternity

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great Products

ProsWorking with new moms is great

ConsNot enough hours for part time employees

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for employees to promote

Pretty bad

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

ProsYou'll learn sales and grounds of what not to put up with

ConsImmature and uneducated bosses, turn over rate is high, pay is low, understaffed, will go 12 hours without relief, high pressure sales, little benefits, this isn't a high end store but I guess they don't know that

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better managers who know how to manage people without being racist or manipulative

Unsatisfactory. 6 months of negative energy.

Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsI learned a lot about selling tactics.

ConsDidn't get the hours promised to me. Extremely underpaid. Heartless manager. SINKING SHIP. Hormonal customers that usually feel terrible about their body to begin with. Pressured endlessly to pretty much force customers to buy more so much that I've had customers complain about other associates and other locations doing this. This comes directly from corporate.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have heard MULTIPLE complaints about sales associate pushing to buy things so much that people stop shopping. This pressure comes from you. It's overpriced for the quality which means it is hard to sell.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great stepping off point for retail career

Msr (Former Employee)

ProsEveryone has Keyholder status, competitive sales, pays higher than minimum wage.

ConsI worked with many unprofessional managers, turn over rate was high, not much room for advancement. Low wage increases.

Decent Work Experience

SALES CLERK (Former Employee)
    Grandville, MI

ProsLeadership was good, very little turn over in the store; manager and assistant manager had been employed for quite a long time. Non demanding work,

ConsStanding for hours on end is difficult on the body. Often I was the only person working opening or closing shifts so if it got busy I had to manage the cash wrap rather than tend to cleaning the dressing rooms. After working for the summer full time, I was essentially nudged out. Rather than being told what I was doing wrong (if anything) and getting more training which I needed. Instead the situation was handled very passive aggressively and I decided to put in my two weeks notice.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more time to train your employees. If they are doing something wrong don't be afraid to confront them about it rather than just giving them the cold shoulder.

Store Manager

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsExceptional product, Fun Customers, Small Sales teams gives the opportunity to really develop your sales team as a manager. I'm one of the lucky ones to have a exceptional Dm they are not all like her.

ConsI basically trained myself . No joke I was handed a operations manual and told you where a sales associate this is a low volume store you'll have time to read. The training program is not long enough and with the amount of knowledge you need to be successful in this company it can NOT be learned in the very short period of time given. They ALWAYS hire Dm's Rm's and other upper management from outside the company because they give a "Fresh Look" at things. I call BULL on that. A top talented seasoned Sm or Dm can run a district or region better then an outsider any day of the week PERIOD! They also dump Rm's constantly we have had a new Rm almost yearly ( because they don't promote from within HELLO) . They have several Dm's running more then one district overwhelming them while they look for Dm's to fill the open positions, From OUTSIDE of the the company of course. These Dm's have been known to have two districts for long periods of time, sometimes over a year. Even though there are acting Dm's (basically a DM in training) in every district that they never even consider for an interview. Just recently they have developed a "regional training manager" positions that OF COURSE THEY PLAN TO FILL FROM OUTSIDE the company ( cause like I said that's been working). I can't wait for that, someone who knows nothing about our product our customer or how our system calculates coming in and telling us how it's done! I'm all for new ideas and information and will give this person respect and do as I'm told, but a seasoned person from with in our own company with proven results would be way more helpful in our unique market. The archaic POS system is set up to destroy quality selling numbers and internet returns come off the plan of the store that is unlucky enough to get the return! They run BIG internet sales during weekends and then you find yourself competing against your own company for sales or even better customers will return entire purchase to go home and by it online to get the better deal!!!! They have very recently decided to threaten termination to any SM not making plan without notice. YAH cause negative threats helps your employees overcome difficult times and helps them to have a good attitude and inspires them to push and work harder for you . Don't get me wrong I'm grateful that I have a job. Even if they yearly raises are a joke. I stay because of my Dm and my Team at my store. This is a good Job for someone who only ever wants to be a SM if you have any hope to be a Dm or Rm don't waist your time. Also just for the record I'm not a disgruntled employee. I am actually what they consider Top Talent with consistent positive results. This happens mostly because I shield my team from the negative threats coming from corporate and I spend way more then the recommended time training them and teaching them how to be successful and I know it's crazy but keeping a positive spin on it while I'm at it! Over the years I have worked with this company I have had the pleasure of meeting several Top Talented Sm's and Dm's that if given the advancement opportunities that outsiders are given, would far better drive business for Destination Maternity but they are always passed over and never even considered for advancement.
    I would like to briperform.consistently.

Advice to Senior ManagementWAKE UP !!!! The fresh look and Top Talent your looking for is right under your nose but you always hire outside! That's not working so well yet you continue to do it! Did you know the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, just some food for thought. Get an actual training program spend less money on marketing we never use and give the training needed to train Top talent to be successful and keep developing them to excel. Revamp the return policy cause facts are if you allow people to return clothing they have worn they will do it and tell others they can do it your loosing a ton of money doing this back up your stores when they won't return WORN ITEMS cause our policy says UNWORN tags on item! And for goodness sake STOP WITH THE NEGATIVITY! That kind of reinforcement and though processes Are like cancer it spreads and it kills business not promotes it !!!! You have a great product the corner on the market and you have some exceptional talent on your team already stop beating them up and then passing them up for advancement a seasoned Destination Maternity employee with proven results can offer you more then an outsider ever can!

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Customer Service driven specialty store with a flair for fashion.

Annapolis, MD

ProsThey are truly geared towards customer service. They stay up to date with the current fashion trends. The company is very operationally structured. The communication and training from corporate is excellent.

ConsSingle coverage at times with a lot to do. Mystery Shoppers checklist often comes off as very rehearsed and unnatural with customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest at the store level, Communication is key and the store staff is the ones there day in and out with the customers.

This job experience has taught me some about the retail life and showed a glimpse of a store manger life

ProsYou meet nice customer and gain more knowledge about maternity products and the maternity life.

ConsClosing alone most of the time is a pain, customers come and mess up the store and then leave right before you are about to close and you have to start all over again.
    The goals that you need to sell can be so difficult and worrisome many of the times.
    Your coworkers and even managers can compete childishly to make your goals

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a bit more fair upon your employees since you are the leader

Perfect for introverts, elders, and people who want a smaller retail store

Maternity Sales Specialist (Current Employee)
    Tampa, FL

Pros-Work alone
    -It's as if you run the store
    -Happy clients
    -low traffic (1-3 customers at a time)
    -small store

Cons-It's not commission based but they expect you to have an average of (number) of items per transaction. and all your sales should average above a certain dollar amount.
    -sell magazines at check out
    -you have to make appointments with clients to come in and shop

Advice to Senior Managementstop raising the prices and lowering the quality of the merchandise

store manager

Boston, MA

Proscompetitive, get to work with client during a special time in her life

Consgrowth opportunity, room for advancement past store manager position

Advice to Senior Managementset up DM in training program, or SM in training

Worked for Motherhood Maternity? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Motherhood Maternity reviews and ratings. All 42 reviews posted anonymously by Motherhood Maternity employees.