Motherhood Maternity

Motherhood Maternity Reviews

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014

CEO

Pros
  • Great customers, good employee discount (in 4 reviews)

• Laid back environment, great customers (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • because of low turn overs, less room for advancement (in 4 reviews)

• district managers are rude, not timely, and often forget important things (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

It was ok

I have been working at Motherhood Maternity

Pros

Supportive management, flexible work schedule

Cons

Lazy and conniving co workers

Need training

Great Experience

Former Employee - Key Holder
    Former Employee - Key Holder

I worked at Motherhood Maternity part-time (more than an year)

Pros

At Motherhood Maternity, you are given the same responsibility from key holder to manager (with a few exceptions) so that no matter who is working, everyone still has the same knowledge and can get things done. The regional managers were always helpful, and always had your back in case of an emergency.

Cons

Selling tactics did make many customers uncomfortable with how much you had to pitch to sell and it would push customers away. Also, my store was in a mall that was 60% vacant, but we still had the same UPT ADS as some of the higher volume stores.

Understand the demographics of the area a store is located in so that daily goals can be adjusted accordingly.

There is nothing more rewarding than working with women in this special time in their life.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Motherhood Maternity full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The clients make you feel like you make a difference everyday.

Cons

The management in store and above will do whatever it takes to get what they need but then don't follow through with their commitments. I moved to a new state for them only to get a demotion instead of the development I was promised.

Keep your promises if you want to keep people who care about doing the right thing.

Employee Focus

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Motherhood Maternity part-time (more than an year)

Pros

great training programs All about the client..

Cons

under paid for amount of work to be done. Think too much about the client and not the employee. Under staff the store in the name of profit. Expect that the work and tasks get done within the limited payroll hours and have great client service. One person most of the time and hard to keep part time people giving them 5 to 10 hours per week. Need 3 full time people just to cover minimum hours and keep loyal people.

Rethink payroll hours in 98% of your smaller units. If it's really about the client then properly staff your stores! Consider how the client perceives the store when doing surveys. Slow registers and too many questions make people angry and irritated.

good

Former Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Motherhood Maternity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good pay and nice customers

Cons

no organization lack of communication

more organization

Enjoyed customer base and product.

I worked at Motherhood Maternity

Pros

Customer base was great to work for. Very rewarding. Steady business all year long.

Cons

There were no real cons

Anything to scam customers and make an extra buck.

I worked at Motherhood Maternity

Pros

-Flexible scheduling
    -Great employee discount...IF you're pregnant

Cons

-Had to lie by omission to get people to sign up for Parenting Magazine; we would "send them a free copy" of the magazine and then, unbeknownst to them, charge their credit card for a subscription the following month. When I mentioned my ethical issues with this to the DM, she said, "Parenting Magazine, well, it's a company and its goal is to make money."
    -Constant floor changes that required the movement of all the fixtures in the store; these were always extremely exhausting and somewhat dangerous (very heavy objects, sharp metal edges and pieces, etc.)
    -Only one person worked at a time, without a manager or another associate. I almost always closed the store by myself.
    -Associates had to do submit payroll and fulfill a ton of other managerial responsibilities, without any pay increase or recognition
    -They piled a weeks' worth of trash bags in the back "room" (which was a little area separated from the store by a curtain), and the store reeked of garbage

Stop conning people into buying your stupid affiliate magazine, stop doing floor changes every two seconds, and have at least two employees working, and especially closing, together at all times.

Not for professionals of big box stores or those who prefer fast paced work environments.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Motherhood Maternity full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-I absolutely love the customers.
    -Lovely maternity fashions, of which, some are transitional. I.e shirts for maternity and beyond.

Cons

-Pay isn't that great
    - expect so much, with hardly any hours
    - because of shortage of hours, most store managers work almost the full 8 hours alone. (Which isn't a problem for me, but for some of my colleagues)
    - district managers are rude, not timely, and often forget important things. I.e time adjustments, vacation time, associate training hours. ( I've worked 3 stores, all in different districts)
    - little room for advancement. (I've been with the company 3yrs and haven't seen any higher positions open up)
    - only "upgrade" high volume stores
    - they don't invest in educating new talent, which is crucial to creating the ideal associate
    - the contest incentives for stores who win arrive extremely late, if at all.
    - stores in smaller area have very little traffic at times. Some days, I don't see people for 5-6 hours.
    -requests for store repairs go unanswered

Treat your people your customers, and your store the way you want to be treated. Even if corporate neglects to do so, It is still our job.

Management was ridiculous. Would just fire people bc they didn't "like" them

I have been working at Motherhood Maternity

Pros

None that I can mention

Cons

No hours. They promise u hours and a supervisor position to get u in, but you're basically just covering bosses butt

Learn how to be a boss, stop sucking up to corporate when u steal from the company

The focus is on money

Former Employee - MSR/Lease Manager in Merrillville, IN
    Former Employee - MSR/Lease Manager in Merrillville, IN

I worked at Motherhood Maternity part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's retail, so that means flexible schedules

Cons

They hire incompetent people to be upper level management. They promise a lot and always let down. They base our reviews on how many bras we push and magazines we force clients to sign up for. We're asked to be deceptive in regards to the magazine.

Only hire women that have had children. Keep promises. Pay more being this company had pretty much cornered the market on maternity. Follow labor laws for breaks in every store.