Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans

Thom Davis & Michael Rosenfeld

It really has potential

Current Employee - PSC Representative in Studio City, CA
    Current Employee - PSC Representative in Studio City, CA

I have been working at Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Affordable health benefits ($50/month cap), excellent retirement plan, lots of paid time off, great maternity benefits/time off (from what I have seen), nice co-workers and managers.

Cons

No training, things change ALL THE TIME and information is not dispersed, upper management either is not listening or or ignoring our needs.
    No room for advancement. I see people who are very smart and educated who will never get ahead. They get stuck of the good benefits and waste their degrees away. Or also we have seen a lot of smart people leave for better opportunities.
    Blaming the mess on the workers instead of on management. They whole place is a mess, the computer systems are terribly outdated, system error create HUGE problems etc. and in the end the employees are pressured to get the problems fixed. We are expected to gather the information from the members and providers using the same stupid computer system that created the problem in the first place. The systemS (one of like 5) that need to be utilized to properly review a health claim.

Get a better data base... now. It's getting ridiculous.
    Training!! Please. We need managers to be trained, call center reps to be taught customer service skills.
    Listen to the advise your employees are giving you.
    Create a more comfortable environment for your employees.
    Do not encourage a hostile work environment
    Update the website
    Simplify online accounts

Micro-management at its finest

Former Employee - Participant Service Call Representative in Studio City, CA
    Former Employee - Participant Service Call Representative in Studio City, CA

I worked at Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Came here through a temp agency with good starting pay. Very helpful, friendly co-workers and management (most of them), also in other departments. If you had a question on a call, others are approachable and willing to help.

Cons

No formal training. My training consisted of listening in on a rep's calls to MPI members. By the third week, I was on my own. This job requires stock knowledge. They gave me a booklet of which I had to know it's entire contents, and if a caller had a question that you don't know, put them on hold, get up and find someone not on a call and ask.

For the short time that I was there, I was very stressed and not confident at all with the little knowledge that I knew. I wasn't given access to the multitude of systems that you must check. I had to get up and ask someone who did. Checking claims status? You have to go to this system, but if it's beyond a certain date, you must log in to another system. Is this particular benefit covered? Check this system, and if you type it in, chances are, it may not be listed. Were documents received? Check this screen, or maybe this screen. "But I faxed it and mailed it and still you don't have it?!" You are literally walking on eggshells with each call, not knowing if that's the ticking time bomb, because it's guaranteed.

All the departments are messed up to the ying-yang. Nobody knows who's doing what and why. Claims are incorrectly denied, time sensitive correspondence takes weeks to go out in the mail, callers are angry, and on top of that, they experience delayed hold times of 30 min or more. Everything trickles down to the call center who gets the brunt of it all.

It's like a sweatshop. One incident in particular, I was reviewing training material, and when the asst mgr saw that I wasn't on a call, made some catty remark, and told me to take a call, then proceeded by sending a department email that if it wasn't time to clock out, you should be taking calls. The next incident was the one that broke the camel's back. I was reading info on how to log in to one of the systems, the asst mgr pointed out again that I should be on a call. For crying out loud, I wasn't sitting there filing my nails, or painting my toes, as others do when management is in one of their meetings.

MPIPHP needs a major revamping and overhaul from the inside out.

-Management (one in particular) should be more considerate and not quick to jump at someone
    -Get rid of the plethora of systems and utilize one complete system. Efficiency can't be accomplished if you don't have the proper tools
    -Put in a proper training protocol, rather than throwing a book at a new hire and expecting them to read it from cover to cover

Meddling Board of Directors Bungles CEO Hire....Again

Current Employee - Clerk in Studio City, CA
    Current Employee - Clerk in Studio City, CA

Pros

Conceptually, MPI does great work: helping the hard-working folks in the entertainment industry with their benefits. Something good to be a part of. The execution of the concept - not so much.

Cons

Last 3 CEO's have been disasters.

Egotistical Board of Directors can't get out of their own way. Need to hire the right CEO and then get out of his or her way.

Don't get caught up on the pay and benefits.

Former Employee - Participant Services Center in Studio City, CA
    Former Employee - Participant Services Center in Studio City, CA

I worked at Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay.
    Many Union positions
    Low cost, high quality health benefits.
    Life time pension after 5 years.
    Lifetime health opportunity (aka Golden Handcuffs)
    Opportunity for life time health for disabled children
    401A account (100% employer funded)

Cons

Management is self centered and do not keep their team members in mind. The culture is completely messed up.
    Only the yes men will rise.
    QUANTITY over QUALITY mentality.
    Managers are busy in meetings all day.
    The whole place is a mess. EVERY SINGLE DEPARTMENT is in chaos...

Higher management does not care.
    They have lower management doing ALL the hard work . BUT the problems are so HUGE that they will never win.
    And when things do not go as planned, they fire the lower management, or simply force them to resign, by hounding them and STRESSING them out of the building.

Instead of fixing the leak, they bring out a bigger bucket.

** Customer Service Department- The call center has 30 minute PLUS hold times at any time. Representatives are constantly getting yelled at by the callers, because medical claims that are processed wrong cannot seem to be able to get corrected. Some members have been dealing with claims being held up for up to 2 years!!

Representatives do not know how to deal with people.
    Phone representatives have no formal training.

The Managers have claimed that training is coming, they tease Representatives with possible "promotions" but at the end of it all they just USE THEM temporarily and have them go back to their regular position.

They only pick their FLAVOR OF THE WEEK to do any sort of "special project" not who may be the best qualified.

** Human Resources - Stop bringing in personal colleagues, neighbors, in-laws, friends' kids and start hiring people who are qualified... it is pretty obvious.
    Suggestion: Hire bilingual representatives FULL TIME in the front lobby area. Instead of pulling a phone rep off the phones to help. The call center has many call holding and it is damaging to the work flow.

** Medical Claims Dept - System errors on a massive scale. Claims denied for no good reason. Even to US the EMPLOYEES!! MPI pays our medical claims!! AND we can't even get OUR OWN claims right!!!
     I can't count the times I had to talk to people in the building to fix MY CLAIMS.

** Mail Department - The Joke is for every 10 pieces of mail are received, at least 2 are immediately thrown in the shredder.

** Medical Review - I think they are there to keep people from getting things done. It ridiculous sometimes. Although, the coverage (IF APPROVED) is wonderful!!

** Audits Department - I think the other reviewers covered them. But yes a joke indeed.

** Pension Department - I feel soooo bad for the RETIREES. In fact,, I feel bad for ME!!! What is going to happen when I retire?? If there is even a plan left by then. :(

Listen to your employees. Especially the ones that care.
    GET OUT of your meetings and DO SOMETHING!!!!
    Seriously. It gives the impression that the problems ARE too big to be resolved. It the Plan in danger?
    --- Stop blaming the employees for YOUR lack of ingenuity. Get the help you need, because whatever you are doing now... it's NOT WORKING.
    Get out of the conference rooms and get to work.
    ENOUGH talk ... let's get some WALKING done.

Trying to get out for the past two years...

Current Employee - PSC Repsresentative in Studio City, CA
    Current Employee - PSC Repsresentative in Studio City, CA

I have been working at Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good Salary
    Free health for me (cheap if dependents)
    Paid time off
    Pension, only five years to become vested
    Retiree health benefits, after 15 years (plus other requirements)
    Unionized positions
    After 10 years, if permanently disabled you have lifetime health for self and qualified dependents (You will need this if you stay here that long)

Cons

Since many positions are Union there is a bit of an unbalance in work.
    Specifically in the Participant Services Center (PSC) department. This department consists of the Front Lobby staff, the Processors of Health Eligibility documents, and the Call Center.

In all of the segments of PSC we have people who are very dedicated and hard working. These are people where we can all depend on if something needs to get done.
    However... in the same department we have people who do not care at all, who are slow (on purpose) and are not very helpful at all.
    Yet, EVERYONE is paid the same rate.

Here is where we have a problem. Those who work hard eventually begin to get "burned out" and either start to get sick (literally have health problems... stress, carpel tunnel, back problems, etc.) or simply get with "the program" and slow down.

I have seen it happen.
    From our understanding there are a few pending legal cases against MPI Pension and Health Plan.

What is the point in working so hard, stressing out, and getting sick?

PSC depends on the rest of the departments to do their job in order for our work to flow. i.e. Claims need to be paid and processed in order for us to give status. Pension department needs to process and pay out benefits in order for us to give status. Subrogation department needs to process documents in order to remove "holds on accounts" in order for the claims department to pay claims and PSC to give status.... etc.

THE PROBLEM
    Its all broken. Things just don't seem to be able to be fixed. In the years that I have been here I have seen things get worse and worse.
    Things used to flow better when we were doing it by hand.
    Aren't computer systems suppose to help?

We have about EIGHT different programs that we have to look at before we can make an accurate statement about a Medical claims' status.
    Each program takes about 3 minutes to preform its function. We are expected to keep calls under 5 minutes.

This creates an environment where the caller is a threat to the Representative's work production. We are now trying our best to get the caller off the phone. Even if it means lying and promising that a call will be returned. All to simply get off the call.

Fix the machine before you blame the workers for its performance.

Take responsibility for the inability to motivate.

Figure out ways to compensate the Union employees that ARE preforming. There has to be a way where hard work can be compensated.

Promote from within.

Stop bringing in executives that have no idea how our organization works, who need to be trained before ANYTHING can happen.

Fire those who do not preform.

Sucks

I worked at Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans full-time

Pros

I wish there were something positive to say about this place, but there isn't. There are no pros to mention.

Cons

The management and the upper management in this place suck. The HR department is the worst HR you can imagine. I would not recommend this place to anybody.

Beyond repair!

Management: Divide The Audit Department

I worked at Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans full-time

Pros

Health insurance is fine but now a premium is required each month. Location of the company is centrally located in the city.

Cons

New person comes from the studios to manage the Audit & Collections department but does not have relevant experience. Management style is very aggressive and poor. Placing $100 on the table to bet against his own department 10 to 1 that he will outlast anybody there shows insecurity and selfishness. A true leader would not do that. If it weren't for the two supervisors who have been there a long time, this department would be lost. Dividing the department further will only cause further damage. Receiving advise from a few untrustworthy people who are "yes" people has no place in a true leader. Showing favoritism to a select few who are kiss-ups only divides further.

Learn not to make the same mistakes that others before you have made. Learn to lead by example and honesty and integrity.

Micromanagement : Follow their commands!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Studio City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Studio City, CA

I worked at Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company has good health insurance & pension benefits.

Cons

MICROMANAGEMENT..Managers personally makes every decision, take a lead role in the performance of every significant task . In extreme cases, dictate every small step the workers take. They are control freak. They hovers over staff who are trying to get their work done and rarely, if ever, seriously considers their ideas and opinions. The only "original" thinking the managers recognizes is his or her own.They take essential management practices to extremes and interferes with employees' ability to do their jobs properly, while creating undue stress for them. In addition to creating stress and discontent among employees, they inhibits employee development. No effort is made to challenge employees with learning situations. They delegates nothing of consequence, thus depriving employees of opportunity for growth. Their micromanagement style creates "yes men" or "yes women," as employees discover it's easiest and safest to go along with the manager.

“Bad Management Behavior”, “Lack of Recognition”, “Lack of Respect” and “Management not allowing the employees to make decisions

FAVORITISM..In my department, our micromanagers does not want to see non favorite employees communicate with co-workers. If we talk to our co-workers, one of the manager in my department will personally approach the employees & ask if they are on break or ask if we are talking about work etc.. However, they have at least 4 employees in my department who constantly talking (excessively loud) about non business related issues all day long but the micromanagers does not say anything to them.

MORALITY. They talked to employees like a pre-school kid, like everyone does not know anything. Employees needs to follow every order and not allowed to decide based on their own determination.

PROMOTION. Based on the company policy, all job openings under a director position should be posted so everyone has an opportunity to apply for the position. In our department, we used to have an opening for a managerial position, however nobody had any knowledge about it until they announced the promotion of 2 favorite employees. They did not give any opportunity to other employees who are obviously beyond qualified for the position based on experience, managerial skills & education.They would prefer an underdog with lack of expertise and education who would say "YES" & will be under control all the time.

Work & Life Balance : They set up specific months when employees are NOT allowed to take vacations & time off. If you have a little children, it's tough to survive in this company as we are not allowed to be a minute late. A minute late will be counted against an employee and we are only allowed to be late three times in a year.

The BOSS. Drives employees, depends on authority, inspire fear, places blame, uses people, take credit, commands, intimidate, no compassion

Be a Leader ..Learn how to be a coach, on goodwill, generates enthusiasm. says "WE" not "I", fixes the breakdown, show how it is done, develops people, gives credit, ask.... says "Lets go"..

Micro Management: What Not To Do

Current Employee - Auditor in Studio City, CA
    Current Employee - Auditor in Studio City, CA

I have been working at Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans

Pros

They have a good pension plan and health plan; however, that is slowly diminishing as health care costs are rising.

Cons

While like in any company, each department is different from the other. I could only speak for the auditing department. The auditing department has been the laughing stock of the entire company because of the high number of turnovers over the past 3-4 years. The so-called managers are more like Nazi SS soldiers micro-managing every area of your job. While my time there was a learning process, it definately was not a fun one. As an auditor, you are constantly on the hot seat from outside employers who do not want to cooperate with you and don't want you to see their records, to the inside "bosses" who constantly monitor you and smother you with administrative useless reports and time tracking programs. To make things worse, the manager of the department does not know how to audit records with the current Solomon program. He relies on the auditors to support his lack of knowledge on performing his job.

The managers should stop micro-managing their employees given that their jobs are already difficult to begin with. At least have the manager do an audit by himself so that he can see how difficult auditing really is. Instead of pushing more work on the auditors, they should reward them for the hard work that they do. And by the way, cut some of your salary raises and bonuses and give it to those who really do the job. At least bring the salary to the market level in that field.