Motion Specialties

Updated May 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

David Fraser

This was good group of people to work with, and some brilliant minds to share the knowledge.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsThey paid quite well, but negated to accommodate a new hire and co-workers quite unwelcoming at beginning.

ConsChange of management unfortunately pushed me out the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeak with your employees and let them know what changes are coming as nothing worse then learning it from outside sources. Also try considering your internal personnel to move up ladder rather than hiring just friends etc.

"Dead End Jobs"

Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsWorking with the dissadvantaged, helping keep people with disabilities mobile and happy. Great staff other than management, most are very helpful with training and friendliness.

ConsManagement does not earn respect, has lack of goal setting and mentoring of employee's who are trying to move up in company. Very political with promotions and perks. General manager conducts meetings on pic-nic bench outside or in car during cigarette breaks, other department managers don't have a clue how to elevate staff although are also very nice people, not very strong managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to elevate staff and mentor employees to attain career goals. Practice fairness with opportunities and discipline towards subordinates. When creating projects and additional reponsibilities for staff that are emerging as leaders management should create an organized and structured process.

A love hate relationship...

Service Technician (Current Employee) Saint Catharines, ON (Canada)

ProsIt's a constantly evolving field of work which keeps you on your toes and assures you that there will never be a dull moment; because of this you never have to worry about getting bored due to doing the same thing day in and day out.
    You also get a strong sense of accomplishment helping customers in need out and can go home at the end of the day knowing you made someones life a little better.
    Most - not all - of the workers are pleasant people to work with and are willing to lend a hand when needed.
    To me at the least I find it very enjoyable doing what I do when things go smoothly.

ConsManagement has a tendency of belittling and disrespecting their employees in front of their peers frequently and without cause.
    Higher ups seem to fail at communicating their goals or expectations, often raising the bar at an unreachable height only to be disappointed that you are unable to reach it. Example: One person doing a two man job.
    Certain key personal fail at understanding the products which they sell making them difficult and near impossible to work with. This is mostly a concern with some of the members in charge who are unable to grasp questions or concerns presented to them.
    Low pay, high expectation job.
    Much internal conflict leading to more than a few people being laid off and/or let go in the past year.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that you give us a list of goals and we will try and achieve them while we help others in need, these times when we help others go unnoticed and thus, according to you, never happen as they aren't written on paper. Too many times have people been punished for doing their job and trying to help the company as a whole.

Also, try not to be an outsider looking in on someone, this has lead to misunderstandings and miss communication due to people trying to figure out things that people know nothing about. Usually this takes the form of wondering why somethings takes a certain amount of time one day and than a different amount the next; this is a job where nothing is the same and a curve ball can be thrown at anytime, know this.

Treat us with respect, threatening us or belittling us is not only unprofessional and rude but its a Workplace Harassment issue. Treat us equally and pay us a reasonable salary.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mis managed and zero opportunity for growth

Wheel Chair Technician (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsWorking with disadvantaged clients to improve their living situation. Ability to work with experienced and innovative technicians, as well as opportunity to work in building custom modifications to exsisting equipment.

ConsVery low ability for self advancement within company. Currently managers in charge of general operations are lacking eperience and ability as well as general social interaction skills. Company provides low pay and expects high results. Only way to get raises are to quit and accept counter offers which in any other industry wouldn't be looked upon in a good manner. Company does promote, but only to those who are close with managers.
    Very political and not a wise decision for someone who wants a career.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees who are proven to give their best a chance to move up in company instead of hiring competitors x employees. Ask for suggestions for workers who will be most affeted by changes instead of someone else deciding the outcomes for so many without any consultation. Give appropriate raises to employees who have shown the desire to build the company and increase their own knowlege and expertise without assistance from management.
    Be fair to all employees no matter personal relationships between manager and employee.

Worked for Motion Specialties? Contribute to the Community!