Motley Fool

Updated December 11, 2014
4.6

Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner
Tom Gardner

Pros
  • There is good work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• The open office work environment allows you to communicate with and learn from different aspects of the company (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, if you want a linear career path with clean and tidy lines from one role to the next, that management philosophy is not embraced here (in 6 reviews)

• s hard to keep everyone informed about everything all the time (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

71 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The Best Place You'll Ever Work - Seriously

Current Employee - Project Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A reviewer inferred that one could work anywhere else with the same or similar benefits. I thought about this comment a lot and realized that this is impossible. I've been at the Fool for over 3 years and can honestly say it's the best company I've ever worked for. I've never be in such a professional (I use this term loosely - the better word would be "Foolish") environment where people actually care about each other.

Leadership works hard to make sure that everyone is happy and fulfilled. They'll fund a Starbucks gift card if you take a "Fool" out that you don't know; teams are celebrated when they do a good job; you can order FREE (!!) books about whatever you want to read; there are monthly cake and pizza days and weekly free healthy snacks...many of our office perks also include subsidized monthly mani/pedis, bi-weekly masseuses, and an in-house Wellness Fool that teaches classes like yoga and kettlebells. The flexible schedule is also a really great benefit. It's nice to not be so worried about doctor's appointments, etc.

I see this year's hiring boost as a really great thing. Others may be pessimistic about so much growth, but the talent here is incredible if you look around. There's tons of opportunity in the future for both employees and the business to thrive.

Cons

Sometimes I'm unable to unplug from the office. Even though I may be out, I can't go long before I feel like I should check my messages. Many Fools work long hours, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. When you love your job, you feel more attracted to projects and motivated about work. You can really see this passion here.

Communication isn't always clear. A lot of decisions seem quickly acted upon, when maybe they should just be better explained.

I enjoy the open office plan but don't love the frequent office-moves - this is just a personal pet peeve. Teams relocate every 6 months. It can be hard to keep up, so successful employees have to be quick on their toes.

Keep growing but be more open about why - whether this is about hiring or other decisions. If there are questions lingering, it's probably worth holding a meeting about.

Company culture is awesome - I really see the Fool only going up from here.

I joined a company for life

Current Employee - Human Resources in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Fool is a truly unique place where you are encouraged to forge your own path contributing to a purpose you believe in. People here respect each other and push to be challenged every day. The work is hard and fast paced. The benefits are top notch. Founders Tom and David Gardner are great people to work with for life. There is so much love here.

Cons

This isn't really a con - but for some it would be - You need to enjoy leading your own "career" looking for projects that matter. The Fool doesn't believe in a perfect manager making all your dreams come true. It is more on you to navigate the projects you love and are most qualified to do.

Keep the great communication coming about our daily challenges and long term growth.

Multiple internships, will be returning ASAP

Former Employee - Software Development Intern in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Software Development Intern in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Motley Fool as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

The Motley Fool puts people first. This means customers and employees. What makes them so fantastic to work for is the lack of any ridiculous corporate bureaucracy. Everyone is extremely humble no matter their position and want to know what they can do better. The culture (a word that they love and work so hard to perfect) is one that promotes bettering one's self. They do peer review multiple times a year, they have classes all the time taught by employees about pretty much anything that anyone can take, they have tons of fitness classes and play pick up soccer, basketball, and floor hockey every week, and always have fruit and other healthy snacks free to munch on.

Cons

Because of the unrestricted work schedule and ability to work from home, sometimes it was difficult tracking people down if you needed to collaborate. I don't really think this is an overall negative because the benefits of being able to work the hours that work for you and being able to remote in completely outweigh this one negative but it said I had to put something.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Do work you're passionate about, for a mission you believe in, alongside the best and brightest in their fields.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture is one of drive, entrepreneurship, fun, and helping the world invest better. As an employee you are trusted and respected (you don't get treated like a child; you can wear what you want, show up and leave when you want, and there's no vacation policy). That gives you the confidence to go about your work in the best way suited for you, and success is strongly rewarded. Fun, competitive culture for sure.

Cons

Not many to speak of, but one I'd mention is the start-up culture at The Fool can lead to changing short-term goals from time-to-time.

Keep allowing your employees to voice their opinions, but also make sure current priorities align with our long-term objectives.

Excellent company, moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Editor/Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Editor/Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent benefits (no vacation policy, treadmill desks, tons of free books), fantastic culture, great people. Lots of upward mobility, you really get to determine your future here. No two days are alike, work is very interesting. Overall no real complaints.

Cons

Everyone is firing in every direction so much that folks don't always establish processes as quickly as they should...but honestly, that's not really a huge downside.

Keep it up.

More than just perks

Current Employee - Anonymous in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Fool has a lot of great perks that are listed on this site and come up in the reviews. The thing you can't see on a list is the atmosphere of the company. You are surrounded by intelligent, down to earth people that make you better, every day. Your coworkers challenge you to keep improving yourself mentally, physically, and in your role. It is an ever changing job that keeps you interested for the long haul.

Cons

Mixing up roles can be stressful even if you know it's a good thing in the end. Just like moving to a new house is stressful even though you know it is better for you family.

Keep mixing things up but make sure to thoroughly communicate in a timely manner.

Change is on the horizon or so they say...

I have been working at Motley Fool

Pros

Motley Fool is an awesome company to work for. For the most part, they value their people and ethics. More importantly, they believe in their mission and goal, which is to help the world invest better. Their determination is solid and they tirelessly finds ways to be better everyday.

Cons

They have policies that help and invest in their employees. Unfortunately, leadership is absent in some areas. For example, my department has lost their value in teamwork. It has become more of a working group. Both aspects have a shared goal; however, there is contrast. Working groups share ideas but are not interdependent. Furthermore, they still help each other but their focus is on individual results, goals and accountability. This type of practice is conducive to employees becoming part of an out-group. It's clear, at most times, who the favorites are. It almost seems tangible but when a group of people share the same feelings, it becomes real and palpable. No one wants to feel abandoned, alone or even neglected.

Effective leadership needs to be revisited and employed at every level. Leadership is about inspiring others and enabling others to act. Being part of an out-group is uninspiring but worse, having tenure and feeling unwanted, disrespected and unappreciated affects all levels of the organization. Compliment and give thanks to all employees daily. Leaders need to smile.

Best place I've ever worked!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coming to work every day you are surrounded by incredibly brilliant and inspired people! Fools genuinely believe in our mission and it is evident in everything they do - from being encouraged to raise questions to meeting our members we're all in it to win it! Being encouraged to experiment and try new things is so refreshing to see in the working world. The benefits are out of this world and tailored to all kinds of people - a great wellness program, free books, speaker series, classes and continuous education, clubs for everyone, a recognition program that is peer to peer, and so many events for everyone - they're unreal.

Cons

The Fool is a very fast paced environment which may not be for everyone but it wouldn't be where it is today if it weren't.

Keep up the good work encouraging people to experiment and raise questions. As the company grows, it is important for our leadership team to continue attending events where they can meet all of the amazing employees. It's really refreshing to see actions taken from surveys and feedback to improve an already amazing place!

Great people, good ideas, poor execution, weak leadership.

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Fool houses some of the brightest, most talented people with whom I've ever worked. The employees truly aspire to greatness, and I've never been a part of a team that didn't collaborate effectively and from which I didn't learn tremendously.

The company does not have clear career paths, and I consider that a major plus. If you are curious and driven, you can develop a variety of skills and sculpt nearly any role you can think of for yourself within the business.

The benefits, mentioned in many reviews, are certainly wonderful. For smart, hard-working people (including many Fool employees), though, such benefits have become commoditized. Nearly any company I'd consider working for has comparable benefits. They are not the draw.

Cons

The leadership team oscillates between providing a top-down vision for the company and empowering teams to craft a strategy of their own. Either approach is valid, but oscillating between the two is dangerous, demoralizing, and ineffective. It is difficult to maintain a sense of ownership over your work when its direction -- and your role in shaping it -- frequently change.

Foolish leaders have a strong case of "not invented here" syndrome, which manifests itself in both new product ideas (partnerships, in which we'd give up some control, are anathema) and how we allocate people. Our executive team seems to believe that, for any possible new business or project on which we embark, we already have within the company the ideal set of employees for it. Promoting from within, when the desired skill set is available, is surely preferable -- but when the desired skill set is not, top-tier companies go out and hire the best. This TMF does not.

Apply a critical eye to the composition of the leadership team and board. Is each group structured to seek disconfirming evidence and empowered to play devil's advocate? Is each member well-suited to lead the company over the coming ten years (rather than the past ten)?

I'd be crazy to leave this place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I could go on and on, but some of the main highlights are: the people, the laid-back culture, the flexibility (in both job and work schedule), the trust and mutual accountability, and most of all... the ability to truly change the world. The mission at The Motley Fool is to help the world invest -- better and everyone in the company knows it and is completely committed to it. Every day, you don't feel like you're just going to do any normal job with people you don't really like; you feel like you're part of something bigger and your co-workers are some of your best friends.

Cons

If you need to have stability in your job and workplace environment, then TMF may not be for you. The company moves incredibly fast with new initiatives and strategies and people are expected to adjust just as quickly. You could have a few different jobs at TMF within the first couple years of working there. So, if you really thrive off of stability, you may struggle at TMF.

While the pace is fast and teams/roles move around incredibly often, ensure that communication of all changes is timely and clear.