Motley Fool

Motley Fool Reviews in Alexandria, VA

Updated Jun 22, 2014

Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner

Tom Gardner

Pros
  • There is good work/life balance(in 7 reviews)

• Strong commitment to a fun and productive work environment(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, if you want a linear career path with clean and tidy lines from one role to the next, that management philosophy is not embraced here(in 6 reviews)

• While Alexandria and the surrounding DC areas are great, I would love if they had offices throughout the US(in 3 reviews)

64 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Place to Work With Lots of Opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsThe Motley Fool is known for its company culture which is supported by a great team of people. Events are planned monthly (or sometimes weekly) to bring Fools together and build collaboration and teamwork. While the company is laid back and allows employees flexibility to set their own hours, play games at work, and research and read as much as they want - there is a strong sense of purpose and employees are so dedicated to their projects that they truly play hard but work even harder.

ConsIf I wear a shirt with a collar and buttons people ask if I am going on a job interview.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep dreaming big and supporting Fools. You do an awesome job.

Great place to work, can be a rollercoaster

Technology (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsPeople are smart, dedicated and friendly. There is good work/life balance. The company values are strong, and people try hard to live them.

ConsThe company can change directions quickly. People can be left behind when this happens. It's a good place to work but not a good place to build a career.

BEYOND My Wildest Dreams

Wellness Director (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsAmazing company benefits like free healthy food, subsidized massages and haircuts, high 401K match, and company stock options just to name a few. Talent and drive is super high here at The Fool so being able to work with highly motivated and passionate people is a huge plus!

ConsThings move fast here at The Fool which can catch some people off guard. Luckily, I enjoy the challenge of a dynamic workplace and the longer I am here at The Fool the more normal it seems!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I don't plan to work anywhere else ... ever.

Associate Advisor (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsI love our purpose to help the world invest better, and I love how dedicated we are to creating a culture that's working together to fulfill that purpose. Plus, I get to follow my passion for investing. How many companies truly create opportunities like that?

ConsWe are growing fast and are going through some growing pains, ones that every founder-led company has to go through as the business get bigger: management systems, team structures, decision-making systems, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing, which is to focus on building our culture and the development of our employees. It is very clear that management loves the company and the Fools that make it up.

You make a difference working with smart people with a purpose

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsThere's a true, meaningful purpose here. You are helping members have a healthy relationship with their finances and moving them toward financial independence. It's a purpose that guides the services/projects and rallies us. Everyone wants to produce A+ work, so the atmosphere centers around "top it" - take my idea and make it better (in a friendly way). The purpose is at the core, and it's supported by an amazing culture that helps employees be productive and engaged. Yes, everything you've read about the culture is true!

ConsThere can be times when a hasty change in plans leads teams to quickly re-form to attack the situation. That's why many of the desks are on wheels. If you're flexible, this works out fine. Also, if you want a linear career path with clean and tidy lines from one role to the next, that management philosophy is not embraced here. It's much more about finding your passion and learning about different aspects of the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet's keep getting better at constant, honest feedback so that Fools know where they stand throughout the year. Coaches from outside of someone's department is a terrific step in that direction.

Simply amazing. There is no place like it!

Human Resources (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsTo have a company be so progressive in how they treat their employees - and having been that way from the beginning, for 20 years - is simply amazing. The executive team does things right, not only for employees but also members, and the people that work at The Fool are all extremely smart, kind, and entrepreneurial. Of course all of the perks and the work life balance is great, but that doesn't hold a candle to doing what you love with a group of people you love and moving together toward a mission you believe in. It's a positive and enjoyable place that really is like no other place to work that I've come across - ever. It's a rare gem.

ConsWhile Alexandria and the surrounding DC areas are great, I would love if they had offices throughout the US. Other than that, I can't say enough great things about the workplace, the people, the executive team, and their mission/purpose.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work and keep that great culture in tact, no matter what.

Pretty amazing

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsI really like the challenging and stimulating work, as well as the accommodating vacation policy. Especially enjoy the interaction with our customers. I like that management wants you to work where your strengths lie and where you're most comfortable.

ConsPeople change teams and roles and it's sometimes hard to keep track of who is the best person to talk to on a particular topic. Advancement can be slow.

Energetic work environment, but fast-changing model makes feedback fickle.

Contractor (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsEnergetic environment, refreshing voice in the financial community, results-based

ConsSparse feedback, team communication can be difficult, shifting incentives structure

Advice to Senior ManagementMore consistent and constructive feedback from bureau chiefs would be wonderful.

Great Internship, Better People

Investing Intern (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsFriendly work environment, people are very open to talking to you and helping you (everyone), not the kind of internship where you are expected to get coffee and pizza for people, many other perks that include pizza days, omelets breakfasts, and desserts

ConsThe investment internship is loosely structured, although the career advancement opportunities are minimal since the internship does not allow opportunity for further advancement usually

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're doing great Tom and David! Keep it up.

Where you can unleash all of your ideas

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsThe ability to test creative ideas alongside smart, passionate people toward a purpose we believe in. Autonomy to choose projects and prioritize work the way I want to. Freedom to get involved in any part of the business.

ConsThere are so many things we still want to do, some days it can be overwhelming trying to do it all. To be successful here you should be able to manage your own work and make your own path.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep telling us what your priority list looks like so we can ensure we are aligned with your vision and goals.

Worked for Motley Fool? Contribute to the Community!