Motley Fool

Motley Fool Reviews

Updated Jun 22, 2014

Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner

Tom Gardner

Pros
  • There is good work/life balance(in 7 reviews)

• Strong commitment to a fun and productive work environment(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, if you want a linear career path with clean and tidy lines from one role to the next, that management philosophy is not embraced here(in 6 reviews)

• While Alexandria and the surrounding DC areas are great, I would love if they had offices throughout the US(in 3 reviews)

Opportunity at the Fool is completely in your control & boundless, and that's exactly what makes it great.

ProsOpen environment with little in the way of trying new projects.

ConsVery few, like any growing company the Fool has it's own set of growing pains, which are very few.

Culture of Excellence and Fun - But Bring Your Own Paddle

Quantitative Analyst (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsStrong commitment to a fun and productive work environment. Focus on competitiveness, but not in a "me vs them" kind of way - you are competing with yourself to do as well as you can. Senior management is always trying to find more/better ways at employee introspection and evaluation to - gasp - actually improve the lot of the employee, not generate nasty metrics to hold over anyone's head. Very flexible work schedules when needed, and especially accommodating to workaholics that keep odd days/hours :) Why bring your own paddle? That is a pro and a con, but I'll put it here. It is both very easy to settle in and at most move about sideways, but if you are a 10X'er and willing to put yourself out there and be flexible with what you can/will do, opportunities abound - but it is more in your hands than anyone else's to make something substantial happen.

ConsChain of command is dynamic, which makes cultivating and advancing ideas sometimes challenging. Duplicate efforts crop up occasionally because there isn't sufficient communication taking place between different areas that are doing concept development, and the company is growing fast enough that this feels like it is increasing a bit. As for the Paddle - see above since it is both a pro and a con

Advice to Senior ManagementTwenty years of experience in honing the Foolish ability to identify great businesses needs to be turned into its next evolution of advising businesses on practices to become great.

A Foolish place indeed

Investing Intern (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsFun. Very flexible hours. Engaging and fun work environment. Lots of unusual small perks and benefits that really add to the office environment and make it so you'll always look forward to going to work. Internally very open. Easy to get along with coworkers because they're genuinely good people. Excellent leadership from the top; Tom and Dave are inspiring leaders. Did I mention fun?

ConsIt's relatively uncompetitive pay considering the talent they have and in the industry they're in, but the benefits are good.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, but remember that you don't always have to change things, and sometimes less is more

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience - definitely not a static place

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsManagement is accessible, work is interesting, Silicon valley-type benefits on the East Coast. Very nice place to work

ConsWhile the Company tries to operates pretty transparently, and has an easily available strategic roadmap, we still seem to get easily distracted chasing things not on plan. I think the CEO loves change, sometimes to the detriment of focus.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've created a truly great place to work, and should be proud of that.. We could probably accomplish more with a little more focus on what we do (walk the talk).

This is a special place.

Analyst (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsA meaningful purpose, passionate colleagues, strong leadership, excellent benefits, flexible schedules, and the opportuity to work beside and learn from some of the best investors in the world.

ConsThere's always so many fun things going on around FoolHQ that it can sometimes be hard to get work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile Fools are motivated by our purpose, challenging work assignments, development opportunities, and a host of other factors, our actual cash compensation is also important to many of us. Please don't forget that.

Great place to work

Developer (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsIt's a great environment to solve problems. The management really cares about it's employees and the benefits show that.

ConsThere's a lot of dead weight. Turnover is very low because it's a great place to work. Management, seemingly, gets attached to employees that have either outlasted their value or were never valuable to begin with. This demotivates "high-performers" and makes it difficult to hire and retain quality employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementNetflix, steal their ideas. Fire people that don't perform 20% above the mean.

Great

ProsA fun atmosphere, with lots of smart, fun colleagues. Intellectually stimulating, with guest speakers, more. Generous benefits.

ConsI can't think of any.

The Best Place to Work in DC

Software Developer (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsThe Motley Fool is by far the best place to work in DC. For Software developers, we get the best equipment, all the books we could want, unlimited vacation time, food fridges, subsized vending machines, a game room, pizza day, cake day, monthly office events (like going to see the Nationals, or the Capitals, or going Paint-balling), and much, much, more.

ConsNot a lot of upward mobility for Developers. You're a developer, and you're going to be a developer for a very long time. Since people tend to stay at the Motley Fool (it has *very* low turnover), there aren't a lot of chances to move up. Since TMF hires new developers infrequently, it takes a while to have management positions open. It's also worth noting that since it's a investment advice company, developers are 'tools' to implement such things, and generally do not make it to the upper echelons of the Company, and they are generally not chosen for business trips, or helping to start a new Fool location in another country, or other things that the rest of the business would be able to put their name in for.

My friends are all jealous I work here

Employee (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsYou get to work with brilliant people in a collegial and collaborative atmosphere. There's a culture of innovation and hard work (which is nicely counterbalanced by a culture of fun). You'll have great work/life balance. Senior management/HR concerns themselves with recruiting the best and making sure their careers develop here, instead of enforcing inane blanket policies that make no sense. While most of your moves will be lateral here, there's room to move into roles that suit your talents and passions.

ConsWe as a company tend to focus on the new and shiny, sometimes at the expense of maintaining older projects/products. I think it's something we're continually working on as a group.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the increasing communication with employees because they really like it!

Great Company to Work For

Financial Editor/Analyst (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsGreat Culture, people, free food fridge, etc.

ConsNothing at all, great employer

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Worked for Motley Fool? Contribute to the Community!