Motley Fool Reviews

Reset
4.5
Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner
Tom Gardner

Pros
  • There is good work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• The open office work environment allows you to communicate with and learn from different aspects of the company (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, if you want a linear career path with clean and tidy lines from one role to the next, that management philosophy is not embraced here (in 6 reviews)

• s hard to keep everyone informed about everything all the time (in 3 reviews)

1. Freelancer

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool (More than a year)

Pros

TMF is a great employer because of a culture that fosters professional growth, and a compensation system that is transparent, fair, and incentivizes employees the right way. There is also a strong support and training system to help employees grow along with the company.

Cons

The overall pay is not as high as one could get working at some other investment firms, but that's the trade-off you make for a better work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

No place like it

I worked at Motley Fool full-time

Pros

The recruitment process is tight -- and the result is you'll end up working with some of the most creative, intelligent, motivated and inspiring people you'll ever come across.

Cons

No company is perfect. TMF is going through growing pains right now, trying to figure out how to preserve its core culture while becoming a "grown up" company. It's cliche to say that change is constant; but seriously, if you can't handle constant change, this isn't the place for you. Also, growth isn't linear here. TMF puts their best people toward their top priorities -- if you're married to a certain title or find most comfort in a clear career trajectory, you won't be happy here.

Advice to Management

Make sure you're letting the Fool speak the truth to the King.

Great Work, Flexible Lifestyle

I have been working at Motley Fool

Pros

Great work environment, even for contractors (I seldom go to the home office). Lots of support for different work-life arrangements. Interesting work; you get out of it what you put in for the most part. Fairly flat hierarchy means everyone is accessible and there's very little feeling of "management" per se--just people you go to for specific things.

Cons

Not really a downside, but you have to stay on your toes--things are always changing and new people are coming in steadily.

Advice to Management

Don't get overly corporate as the company continues to grow! And now I'd like to hum you a little tune. Hmmm....is that 20 words?

Technical Operations

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Innovative, collaborative, tech driven company dedicated to their mission of helping the world invest better. Excellent workplace with a very intelligent and pioneering tech group.

Cons

Can be chaotic with an open seating plan.

Advice to Management

Continue to offer solid direction, direct feedback and positive realistic direction.

Great company on the surface, not so great for motivated people.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Motley Fool full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

On the surface - Flexible work environment, fun activities.

Cons

Very cult-like. Low salary, unusable unlimited vacation, and a culture which does not encourage new ideas. If you're good at what you do you, it's incredibly easy to find the same perks with a significantly better salary at a company that treats you and respects you like an individual. Senior management makes secretarial staff take care of personal items such as getting oil changes, registering cars, submitting school paperwork, etc. Almost 5 years after leaving, their product and offerings are almost completely unchanged. Don't work here if you want to accomplish anything.

Advice to Management

Please grow up and learn how to take care of yourselves. I understand you grew up with trust funds, but you're adults now.

Not as good as they might have you think

I worked at Motley Fool

Pros

Many intelligent and a few caring individuals work here. For some reason, this company looks good on a resume. There are opportunities to learn about business and investing, among some other things.

Cons

"Culture Club" acts as a secret police. Transparency is a bit of a facade. "Unlimited time off" isn't really true.

Advice to Management

Don't get a new CTO every year. They're not clothes; they don't go out of fashion so quickly.

Rare case where nice people finish first

Current Employee - N/A in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - N/A in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

That's not to say it isn't a tough, competitive place to work. It's hard to get a job here, you have to work hard to keep up, and 'average' performers are not allowed to be the norm. However, most Fools are kind and caring people so it's the right mix of challenging and supportive.

Cons

Lack of true hierarchy and process makes everyone more reliant on building a network, but that can often turn into a lot of unnecessary politics. Decisions are either abrupt or dragged out.

Advice to Management

Be really clear about how you are delegating, as we get bigger, make sure you trust the people who are on your team to make decisions on their own. It's tempting to swoop in and try to do everything but you'll just burn yourself out.

I joined a company for life

Current Employee - Human Resources in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Fool is a truly unique place where you are encouraged to forge your own path contributing to a purpose you believe in. People here respect each other and push to be challenged every day. The work is hard and fast paced. The benefits are top notch. Founders Tom and David Gardner are great people to work with for life. There is so much love here.

Cons

This isn't really a con - but for some it would be - You need to enjoy leading your own "career" looking for projects that matter. The Fool doesn't believe in a perfect manager making all your dreams come true. It is more on you to navigate the projects you love and are most qualified to do.

Advice to Management

Keep the great communication coming about our daily challenges and long term growth.

The Best Place You'll Ever Work - Seriously

Current Employee - Project Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A reviewer inferred that one could work anywhere else with the same or similar benefits. I thought about this comment a lot and realized that this is impossible. I've been at the Fool for over 3 years and can honestly say it's the best company I've ever worked for. I've never be in such a professional (I use this term loosely - the better word would be "Foolish") environment where people actually care about each other. Leadership works hard to make sure that everyone is happy and fulfilled. They'll fund a Starbucks gift card if you take a "Fool" out that you don't know; teams are celebrated when they do a good job; you can order FREE (!!) books about whatever you want to read; there are monthly cake and pizza days and weekly free healthy snacks...many of our office perks also include subsidized monthly mani/pedis, bi-weekly masseuses, and an in-house Wellness Fool that teaches classes like yoga and kettlebells. The flexible schedule is also a really great benefit. It's nice to not be so worried about doctor's appointments, etc. I see this year's hiring boost as a really great thing. Others may be pessimistic about so much growth, but the talent here is incredible if you look around. There's tons of opportunity in the future for both employees and the business to thrive.

Cons

Sometimes I'm unable to unplug from the office. Even though I may be out, I can't go long before I feel like I should check my messages. Many Fools work long hours, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. When you love your job, you feel more attracted to projects and motivated about work. You can really see this passion here. Communication isn't always clear. A lot of decisions seem quickly acted upon, when maybe they should just be better explained. I enjoy the open office plan but don't love the frequent office-moves - this is just a personal pet peeve. Teams relocate every 6 months. It can be hard to keep up, so successful employees have to be quick on their toes.

Advice to Management

Keep growing but be more open about why - whether this is about hiring or other decisions. If there are questions lingering, it's probably worth holding a meeting about. Company culture is awesome - I really see the Fool only going up from here.

the story has changed

Current Employee - Contractor
    Current Employee - Contractor

I have been working at Motley Fool

Pros

tmf is still a great place to work, but only if you work at the alexandria hq. there you will find good pay and excellent fringe benefits. compensation however for the large minority of workers classed as outside contractors and freelancers took a big hit this year. if you want to get a job at tmf, make sure to get a "job-job" as an official employee. do not take a job as a contractor

Cons

the business model suffered a recent shakeup. the result is huge disruption internally, and a paycut for outside contractors. contractors are increasingly deemed secondclass citizens at tmf, suffering paycuts that do not affect workers at the alexandria hq. cut off from internal policymaking, their input is not sought, even as they bear the brunt of increasingly onerous rules from alexandria. more work and less pay is the order of the day

Advice to Management

we used to be close, but as tmf has gotten bigger, it's gotten harder to manage through channels. you don't realize it, but you're starting to lose touch. reach out to your contractors from time to time. in many cases they are "the face of the fool" -- and it's a frowney face

RSS Feed </> Embed