Motley Fool

Motley Fool Reviews

Updated Apr 1, 2014

Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner

Tom Gardner

Pros:
  • "great place to work, smart co-workers, great atmosphere, excellent work life balance"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Strong commitment to a fun and productive work environment"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Those who are used to a clear career path and formal feedback might have a hard time navigating the Fool's informal style and fast moving pace"
    in 5 reviews
  • "You will have to adapt to the continually changing environment"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Pretty amazing

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI really like the challenging and stimulating work, as well as the accommodating vacation policy. Especially enjoy the interaction with our customers. I like that management wants you to work where your strengths lie and where you're most comfortable.

ConsPeople change teams and roles and it's sometimes hard to keep track of who is the best person to talk to on a particular topic. Advancement can be slow.

Great for freelancers

Freelancer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Motley Fool

ProsSite allows potential writers easy access to CMS and resources, which is really useful when starting out. There is a lot of information on writing and sources. Editors respond in a timely manner with useful and constructive feedback. They are very interested in publishing posts written from many points of view; if you make a compelling argument, it's fair game.

ConsImpossible for a freelancer to know how many other people are working on a post on the same company(ies) or topic. Other than that, no real cons.

Best Job I've Ever Had

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time for more than a year

ProsTMF has changed my life in many unexpected ways. In addition to earning a living wage, I have been able to pay off my credit card that lingered from graduate school and am chipping away at my student loan debt. I've learned about and started to invest with the guidance if TMF, and always feel comfortable asking questions and seeking advice if need be. I'm consistently surprised by the generosity of the company. I feel grateful every day that this company had changed me for the better- financially and otherwise. The emphasis on health and wellness has led me to incorporate even more healthful measures into my life. I love my colleagues and feel valued and respected at work. Through various programs, the company encourages reading and life long learning. Employees are treated like adults, given freedom with their schedules, and encouraged to determine their own job descriptions based on their skills and preferences. I've never worked anywhere where the morale was so high.

ConsSometimes the environment can be disruptive or chaotic. It's important to have areas people can retreat to in order to work quietly/undisturbed. Sometimes there are too many hands in a project and it can get unwieldy.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging, interesting, fun

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThis is overall a happy, supportive environment. People, leadership included, really care about others and making this a great place to work, while remaining intense and challenging.

ConsYou need to cultivate a lot of self discipline here-- to manage distractions and to keep yourself from working 24/7 because there is so much to be done and it's all so interesting. I also agree with the reviewer that duplicate efforts crop up because the environment is so fast paced.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know you are reading this and paying close attention, and that's what makes the Fool a great place to work. One suggestion might be to define leadership team's roles and goals more clearly and more often.

Singular vision executed (mostly) well

Writer and Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Motley Fool as a contractor for more than 10 years

ProsTerrific culture populated with genuinely good human beings. Management prizes tenure and seeks to keep the best for as long as possible.

ConsFits of experimentation can prove disruptive over short periods, but that's also the price of working in any high-growth, entrepreneurial environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementYours is an increasingly distributed organization. Be unafraid to use technology to better communicate and collaborate with workers across the globe.

Great Internship, Better People

Investing Intern (Former Employee)
Alexandria, VA

I worked at Motley Fool as an intern for less than a year

ProsFriendly work environment, people are very open to talking to you and helping you (everyone), not the kind of internship where you are expected to get coffee and pizza for people, many other perks that include pizza days, omelets breakfasts, and desserts

ConsThe investment internship is loosely structured, although the career advancement opportunities are minimal since the internship does not allow opportunity for further advancement usually

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're doing great Tom and David! Keep it up.

Energetic work environment, but fast-changing model makes feedback fickle.

Contractor (Current Employee)
Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool as a contractor for more than a year

ProsEnergetic environment, refreshing voice in the financial community, results-based

ConsSparse feedback, team communication can be difficult, shifting incentives structure

Advice to Senior ManagementMore consistent and constructive feedback from bureau chiefs would be wonderful.

Best place I've ever worked

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time for more than a year

ProsThe Fool practices all that it preaches. They care about their employees, have fun, and work hard. You're given the freedom to forge your own path and generate ideas to help contribute to the success of the company. Rewards such as free book program, speakers, and unique events are provided with genuine desire to have a happy workplace and workforce.

ConsIt's hard to find them IF you're a good fit for the culture. If you don't have the professional maturity to know when to work and when to play, the culture can be a distraction.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to build your personal brands outside of your direct teams.

Where you can unleash all of your ideas

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe ability to test creative ideas alongside smart, passionate people toward a purpose we believe in. Autonomy to choose projects and prioritize work the way I want to. Freedom to get involved in any part of the business.

ConsThere are so many things we still want to do, some days it can be overwhelming trying to do it all. To be successful here you should be able to manage your own work and make your own path.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep telling us what your priority list looks like so we can ensure we are aligned with your vision and goals.

I heart The Fool.

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAbsolutely the #1 reason I love coming to work every day -- the people. Just an awesome bunch of smart, talented, funny, eager Fools. There are a lot of opportunities for growth -- the people who have successful growth paths at The Fool definitely take advantage of the resources available (classes, mentor program, special projects, coaching, etc -- all are awesome), but I think taking time to know other Fools and collaborate with them often leads to unexpected development opportunities. The good news is that we're not lacking in forums for Fools to get to know each other -- happy hours, team events, company sports, and a friendly, open environment.

ConsThings move quick here -- which isn't a bad thing -- you just gotta work extra hard to keep up.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more fun -- you guys work hard -- but I'd love to see you participating in all the stuff that makes this place so great.

Worked for Motley Fool? Contribute to the Community!

Motley Fool Videos

Motley Fool – Why Work for Us?

Founded in 1993 in Alexandria, VA., by brothers David and Tom Gardner, The Motley Fool is a multimedia financial-services company dedicated to building the world's greatest investment community. Reaching millions of… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Motley Fool reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner. All 84 reviews posted anonymously by Motley Fool employees.