Motley Fool

Motley Fool Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner

Tom Gardner

Pros
  • There is good work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Strong commitment to a fun and productive work environment (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, if you want a linear career path with clean and tidy lines from one role to the next, that management philosophy is not embraced here (in 6 reviews)

• While Alexandria and the surrounding DC areas are great, I would love if they had offices throughout the US (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great, if you drink the Kool-Aid

ProsDefinitely no shortage on perks, whether you are in house or a contractor. The company encourages a casual, fun-first atmosphere. Freedom to chase down your own ideas and initiatives.

ConsThe culture here is cult-ish, and if you show anything less than undying love for all things 'Fool,' you are met with the antithesis of what the company claims to represent. Though the Motley Fool encourages a wide range of opinions, it is not the case if you are an employee. You must bow down to the chosen darlings and blindly champion the rhetoric they consistently ooze. Egos are a problem here, and management seems to support it fully. The company's ultimate goals are to capture email addresses for the marketing department.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to focusing on the best investment advice possible, and take a close look at the editorial staff.

Needs to improve overall employee satisfaction and morale

Professional (Former Employee)

ProsDuring the honeymoon period (first 2 months of starting the position), everything is wonderful. They bend over backwards to help you, and most of all they talk up how great Motley Fool is to work for, and how fortunate you are for them to have chosen you to be with them. It makes you feel very special to be the "chosen one".

ConsAfter about 2 months to a year, you start to realize who you are truly working for. The managers personalities finally reveal themselves and the culture creeps up on you. Unfortunately, it wasn't positive for me. Since the culture is "play as much as you like", and the desks with no cubicle walls to separate you from hundreds of others, you begin to realize how unprofessional this place really is. It was like a huge playground, with very poor management emotional intelligence (speaking of my three direct managers). Absolutely zero privacy, and every single phone call to your spouse, doctor and friend, was overheard by 10's of people, including your strange managers, who then all asked you about what you talked about on the phone with your spouse and doctor! I was horrified each time. When I was working on certain projects and needed a few others to complete their part of the project in order for me to continue on with my portion of the project, those other people were consistently no were to be found. Where were they each time I went look for them? In the game room, or "running late" for work. Sometimes they showed up at 1pm, sometimes at 11am. No one knew. It was especially frustrating for a professional like myself. I could go on about all of the problems with this company, but there isn't enough time and space. They desperately want you to believe it's the best company to work for (and continually tell you that while you work there) but in reality, it was the one of the worst. (I found it disturbing to have been told repeatedly that I'm "...lucky to have been chosen to work at the Motley Fool," etc., etc.)
    I quickly severed my employment with the Mostly Fool when I found an established professional company to work for. I'm still working for the same established professional company to this day. "Professional" makes all the difference.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps hire a professional firm to oversee your management staff. You need to foster a professional level atmosphere. Hire not just intellectually competent management staff, but also hire emotionally intelligent individuals too. The "play as much as you want" culture is very disconcerting when you're working there and trying to be a professional. You wouldn't need to continually try and convince employees that it's "the best place to work in the world", if it truly was the best place to work.

Don't be fooled by this place

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsYou can obtain valuable knowledge about investing while working for this company. The company tries really hard to make it a cool and hip place to work, after awhile it does get weird.

ConsManagement at the company is like working from within a concentration camp. Everything is very top-down and your input will be ridiculed constantly by you management. There's a lot of nepotism within the organization making politics a very big part of everyday.

Privacy is not an option at this company. Desks are right up against each other, so that the company can pack as many people possible onto a single floor.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm sorry that things didn't work out for you at AOL.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Too much play, too many egos

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe founders are the sweetest guys in the world and have a lot of integrity. Their mission is true and they are passionate about it.

ConsVery large egos, especially in tech. Totally agree with the reviewer who cited the lack of privacy and professionalism. Nice guys finish last, the truth hurts your career, and they have a nasty way of sidelining and marginalizing people who disagree with their direction. It was such a relief to leave this place and work with grown-ups again.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry sitting in the tech department for a week and see how long it takes to get sick of the nerf pellets flying onto your lap, into your head, onto your keyboard. Take a look at the quiet ones who are working hard and getting ignored while the mouthpieces get promoted. The 'cuteness' actually starts to feel offensive when you realize how insincere and callous some people really are.

Contractors make the business but they aren't always treated fairly.

Contributor (Former Employee)

ProsThe Motley Fool really takes their mission and core values seriously, and for the most part, they tend to deliver. While on-campus, you are allowed pretty much free reign over your schedule, and it got to the point that we would only come in when we had a meeting or some other event scheduled. Not too shabby.

Free pizza, cake, and other foodstuffs are always a bonus too.

ConsAs a contractor, I felt that I was never given an accurate picture of what my deliverables were for the company, other than a target number of articles to hit each month. "Coaching" to correct deficiencies often felt more negative than positive, and only made me question my ability as a writer, instead of encouraging me to do better. It got to a point where I would stress after hitting the submit button, that my article would have to undergo numerous additional revisions before publication, and therefore I would not be able to move onto other articles and increase my productivity.

I'll admit that most of this was perhaps my failure to adapt to the life of a freelance writer, but I also felt like my particular bureau had favorites among their stable of writers, and if you weren't among the handful of favorites, it was harder to get your stuff published in a timely manner. Furthermore, comparisons to the "favorites" seemed to do the opposite of building a strong bureau, instead pitting each writer against the others in a battle for top favorite.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith a strong stable of contract writers, maybe it is not necessary to give all the same boilerplate contract? If some are more comfortable writing less, and producing good product, maybe let them dictate the amount they write (and get paid for) instead.

Not the same Motley Fool

ProsBest benefits ever. Very generous healthcare plan - you'll never have to worry about anything. Peers aren't catty and genuinely try to help you do your best. Free food from Whole Foods.

ConsCommuting to Old Town is miserable, so unless you live in Arlington, DC, or Alexandria expect a rough ride. Tech tends are not based on adding value to the company, but are simply based on the Facebook mode of moving fast and breaking things'. To what end, that is not clear. Totally missed an opportunity to create a mobile app because they think the old white guys who use their services really don't have iPads. Taking advice from Board members who insist on a periodic purging of staff. If you voice dissent you will find yourself 'managed out'.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake note of the toxic environment that has developed in the last year. Tom and Dave are still the greatest guys you'll ever want to work for, but it just feels like they are losing control of the culture.

All the glitters isn't necessarily gold.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsThe benefits are beyond what other companies offer. The company seems to live up to most of its core values. Having tenure can increase professional possibilities. Professional growth is imminent.

ConsNot all departments are treated fairly. Job duties can change at a moments notice without any collaboration with team, which is a core value. Financial/stock market uncertainties leads to desperate and aggressive changes in order to sustain membership. Keep the core value 'honest' at bay.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees and cease the micro-managing. Management here are simply managers not leaders. They know how to get things done but not necessarily the right way. Genuine leadership are suppose to inspire and enhance the heart, which has been replaced by fear and triviality .

great place to work

Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsMotley fool can be a great company to work for. they staff is nice and helpful and editors are quick in turning around your completed work papers.

ConsThe one downside to the job i did was that it was online mostly and the metrics drove the job. If you no make metrics then no more job.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management is very nice and sweet. they play fun games with employees. we like it alot and handball fund also

A lot of Foolish fun, but little business focus

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsEvery day at 3:00 Fools take recess, which is a hour long break to go outside. We have pizza day and cake day every month.

ConsWith all the focus on how much fun everyone is having, there's not enough emphasis put on the actual business.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind the balance between our culture and the business. Both are important and one cannot exist without the other one.

A fantastic learning experience, but directions can change quickly

Contributor (Current Employee)

ProsTotal work/life flexibility and good pay. The company allows you to specialize in any industry. Management is supportive and open to new ideas.

ConsAs an offsite contract writer/analyst, I wish there were more team interactions and co-ordination. A sense of belonging is missing sometimes. A lot more could be achieved if this could be done. (Onsite employees may find the situation different. I work on a contract basis.) Advancement is slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice if the core team (in every sector/industry) specialize more in providing investment thesis that include valuations of companies. Please cut down on just delivering artfully written content and flashy headlines. The reader/investor needs more justice. Higher profile sectors (like tech.) should not be given higher weight-age.

Worked for Motley Fool? Contribute to the Community!