Motley Fool Reviews

More than just perks

Current Employee - Anonymous in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Fool has a lot of great perks that are listed on this site and come up in the reviews. The thing you can't see on a list is the atmosphere of the company. You are surrounded by intelligent, down to earth people that make you better, every day. Your coworkers challenge you to keep improving yourself mentally, physically, and in your role. It is an ever changing job that keeps you interested for the long haul.

Cons

Mixing up roles can be stressful even if you know it's a good thing in the end. Just like moving to a new house is stressful even though you know it is better for you family.

Advice to Management

Keep mixing things up but make sure to thoroughly communicate in a timely manner.

Excellent company, moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Editor/Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Editor/Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits (no vacation policy, treadmill desks, tons of free books), fantastic culture, great people. Lots of upward mobility, you really get to determine your future here. No two days are alike, work is very interesting. Overall no real complaints.

Cons

Everyone is firing in every direction so much that folks don't always establish processes as quickly as they should...but honestly, that's not really a huge downside.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

Change is on the horizon or so they say...

I have been working at Motley Fool

Pros

Motley Fool is an awesome company to work for. For the most part, they value their people and ethics. More importantly, they believe in their mission and goal, which is to help the world invest better. Their determination is solid and they tirelessly finds ways to be better everyday.

Cons

They have policies that help and invest in their employees. Unfortunately, leadership is absent in some areas. For example, my department has lost their value in teamwork. It has become more of a working group. Both aspects have a shared goal; however, there is contrast. Working groups share ideas but are not interdependent. Furthermore, they still help each other but their focus is on individual results, goals and accountability. This type of practice is conducive to employees becoming part of an out-group. It's clear, at most times, who the favorites are. It almost seems tangible but when a group of people share the same feelings, it becomes real and palpable. No one wants to feel abandoned, alone or even neglected.

Advice to Management

Effective leadership needs to be revisited and employed at every level. Leadership is about inspiring others and enabling others to act. Being part of an out-group is uninspiring but worse, having tenure and feeling unwanted, disrespected and unappreciated affects all levels of the organization. Compliment and give thanks to all employees daily. Leaders need to smile.

Great place to work, moves quickly.

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast-paced environment, where your roles and responsibilities may change frequently.

Cons

Can be stressful if you don't like change.

The greatest company to work for, surrounded by passionate people

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's not a huge coincidence that you're seeing 'people' or 'co-workers' often on the Pros list. The Fool is filled with intelligent, engaged, passionate, and kind people. People actually care about you, which is a nice environment in which to be. It's not hard to turn to someone and ask for help. In fact, collaboration is encouraged and rewarded! What a great segue into the benefits, which are just incredible. From free books to unlimited vacation, it's almost unbelievable, but believe it. An internal rewards system allows us to send 'Gold' to someone for a job well done, and we can redeem this Gold for awesome things. With Learning From Franklin, we can attend talks and interact with some of the greatest minds in America. Health and Wellness is also a huge deal. There are free fitness classes, free healthy foods, massages, an awesome Health and Wellness coordinator, and more! The casual dress code, the open office space, the nerf guns lying around, the Pros list goes on and on. And if you've got new ideas, the People team is there to hear it. Whether it's about your position in the company or what you'd like to see at your desk, everyone just works hard to keep the Fool a great place to work.

Cons

In the office, you absolutely have to be able to adapt and adapt quickly. The company is constantly changing, growing, and sometimes, this is awesome. Other times it means that you have to completely switch gears and start working on a completely new project. If you're uncomfortable with constant changes, you'll definitely find yourself struggling.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! I am starting to see the improvements in communication, and it's nice to know that upper management is actually taking our feedback and running with it.

7. Great Job

I worked at Motley Fool

Pros

Work whenever or where ever you want.

Cons

Nothing I can think of.

A good place to work with a good CEO, but don't expect to be highly rewarded.

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best things about the Motley Fool is that you are given a great deal of autonomy if you do your job well. Don't want to come in on Wednesdays? Whatever. So long as you continue to perform at a high level, the company does not care what you do. If you are interested, it is encouraged to go bug other departments to get a better idea of how the business as a whole works.

Your role at the Fool will be mostly what you make of it, and there is no real reason you can't switch roles once you get in the door. This happens pretty frequently, so if you want to try out new things, there's really nothing in the way except whether you're bold enough to talk to people in other departments that you may not know very well. Be respectful of others and most will be willing to help you out. You can learn a lot this way.

There are a lot of smart people at this company, and contrary to some recent reviews, I'd say the CEO definitely falls in that camp. Although he is eccentric, he has created a lot of value for the company during his tenure. And why wouldn't he? He is a co-founder of the company and has a vested stake in its success.

The benefits are wonderful, and the pay is good enough to get by if you don't have an excessive lifestyle or a lot of kids. It won't make you rich unless you reach the higher levels of the company.

Cons

Remember how I talked about autonomy, and how no one cares what you do? That cuts both ways. If you come here expecting to be rewarded for high performance beyond the nice work-life balance, you're going to get frustrated very quickly. I know multiple people who now phone it in because they weren't recognized for putting in tremendous efforts for the company over long periods of time.

The company likes to hold itself out as a meritocracy, and although some departments are more meritocratic than others, at the company's core it is largely a seniority based system. Many departments don't have objective ways of evaluating employees.

There is a periodic evaluation of every employee of the company under a gimmicky review system, but even those who administer it admit that it is mostly subjective. A lot of it boils down to whether the "movers and shakers" in your department like you or not.

Advice to Management

The CEO has done, by pretty much any objective metric, a great job building the company. Keep on doing what you're doing, but keep an eye out for those around you who are not being entirely genuine in their relationships with you.

Changing the World

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time

Pros

A truly purpose-driven company -- working to help the world invest, better. Employee engagement levels are at 83% (nearly 3X the national average). Growth is accelerating. The company is 100% owned by past and present employees -- no short-term-itis, no VC money. There's an internal market for company stock, and shares are on the rise. The pace of innovation is quickening. The culture is very very performance driven. The financial industry needs to be disrupted by technology, and this is the best place to go for it. I have never worked with such passionate people in my life.

Cons

We don't celebrate the work across teams enough. Our investor team is incredible. Our member/customer services efforts are extreme. I've seen careers changed overnight by connections with career coaches on our people team. Some of the innovations on tap from product and tech teams are profound. There's such a massive serious of efforts being made -- this shouldn't be taken for granted. We need to celebrate our successes more.

Advice to Management

Don't be so immersed in your work that you forget to get out and communicate. With rapid growth and sudden change comes the need for substantially more communication.

Be more transparent in how performance is evaluated.

Start training team leadership more and more. As we scale, team leaders will be gamechangers (either in a good or bad way).

Force people to take vacation -- the no-vacation policy can cause some people to never take a break.

An amazing place to start a career

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time

Pros

Working at The Motley Fool is nothing short of amazing. They truly stand behind their employees and continuously exceed my expectations! There are monthly activities ranging from happy hours to ski trips, and perks/benefits that touch on almost anyone's lifestyle. Even though I can get a massage, personal training session, ping pong game, order any book I want, nap, play an electric drum set, and start my day around 10:00am, the best part about the company are the other Fools I work with. I can't wait to see what the future brings for me and this company!

Cons

Cake day makes sticking to my diet very difficult

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Best place I've ever worked!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coming to work every day you are surrounded by incredibly brilliant and inspired people! Fools genuinely believe in our mission and it is evident in everything they do - from being encouraged to raise questions to meeting our members we're all in it to win it! Being encouraged to experiment and try new things is so refreshing to see in the working world. The benefits are out of this world and tailored to all kinds of people - a great wellness program, free books, speaker series, classes and continuous education, clubs for everyone, a recognition program that is peer to peer, and so many events for everyone - they're unreal.

Cons

The Fool is a very fast paced environment which may not be for everyone but it wouldn't be where it is today if it weren't.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work encouraging people to experiment and raise questions. As the company grows, it is important for our leadership team to continue attending events where they can meet all of the amazing employees. It's really refreshing to see actions taken from surveys and feedback to improve an already amazing place!

RSS Feed </> Embed