Motley Fool

Updated October 12, 2014
4.6

Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner
Tom Gardner

Pros
  • There is good work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• The open office work environment allows you to communicate with and learn from different aspects of the company (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, if you want a linear career path with clean and tidy lines from one role to the next, that management philosophy is not embraced here (in 7 reviews)

• s hard to keep everyone informed about everything all the time (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great, if you drink the Kool-Aid

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Definitely no shortage on perks, whether you are in house or a contractor. The company encourages a casual, fun-first atmosphere. Freedom to chase down your own ideas and initiatives.

Cons

The culture here is cult-ish, and if you show anything less than undying love for all things 'Fool,' you are met with the antithesis of what the company claims to represent. Though the Motley Fool encourages a wide range of opinions, it is not the case if you are an employee. You must bow down to the chosen darlings and blindly champion the rhetoric they consistently ooze. Egos are a problem here, and management seems to support it fully. The company's ultimate goals are to capture email addresses for the marketing department.

Get back to focusing on the best investment advice possible, and take a close look at the editorial staff.

You make a difference working with smart people with a purpose

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There's a true, meaningful purpose here. You are helping members have a healthy relationship with their finances and moving them toward financial independence. It's a purpose that guides the services/projects and rallies us. Everyone wants to produce A+ work, so the atmosphere centers around "top it" - take my idea and make it better (in a friendly way). The purpose is at the core, and it's supported by an amazing culture that helps employees be productive and engaged. Yes, everything you've read about the culture is true!

Cons

There can be times when a hasty change in plans leads teams to quickly re-form to attack the situation. That's why many of the desks are on wheels. If you're flexible, this works out fine. Also, if you want a linear career path with clean and tidy lines from one role to the next, that management philosophy is not embraced here. It's much more about finding your passion and learning about different aspects of the business.

Let's keep getting better at constant, honest feedback so that Fools know where they stand throughout the year. Coaches from outside of someone's department is a terrific step in that direction.

Simply amazing. There is no place like it!

Former Employee - Human Resources in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Motley Fool full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

To have a company be so progressive in how they treat their employees - and having been that way from the beginning, for 20 years - is simply amazing. The executive team does things right, not only for employees but also members, and the people that work at The Fool are all extremely smart, kind, and entrepreneurial. Of course all of the perks and the work life balance is great, but that doesn't hold a candle to doing what you love with a group of people you love and moving together toward a mission you believe in. It's a positive and enjoyable place that really is like no other place to work that I've come across - ever. It's a rare gem.

Cons

While Alexandria and the surrounding DC areas are great, I would love if they had offices throughout the US. Other than that, I can't say enough great things about the workplace, the people, the executive team, and their mission/purpose.

Keep up the good work and keep that great culture in tact, no matter what.

Pretty amazing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I really like the challenging and stimulating work, as well as the accommodating vacation policy. Especially enjoy the interaction with our customers. I like that management wants you to work where your strengths lie and where you're most comfortable.

Cons

People change teams and roles and it's sometimes hard to keep track of who is the best person to talk to on a particular topic. Advancement can be slow.

Great for freelancers

Current Employee - Freelancer
    Current Employee - Freelancer

I have been working at Motley Fool

Pros

Site allows potential writers easy access to CMS and resources, which is really useful when starting out. There is a lot of information on writing and sources. Editors respond in a timely manner with useful and constructive feedback. They are very interested in publishing posts written from many points of view; if you make a compelling argument, it's fair game.

Cons

Impossible for a freelancer to know how many other people are working on a post on the same company(ies) or topic. Other than that, no real cons.

Oct 24, 2014

Thanks for your review! We’re definitely looking for lots of viewpoints. Great to know that your interaction with editors has been positive. Thanks for being a Fool!

Best Job I've Ever Had

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than an year)

Pros

TMF has changed my life in many unexpected ways. In addition to earning a living wage, I have been able to pay off my credit card that lingered from graduate school and am chipping away at my student loan debt. I've learned about and started to invest with the guidance if TMF, and always feel comfortable asking questions and seeking advice if need be. I'm consistently surprised by the generosity of the company. I feel grateful every day that this company had changed me for the better- financially and otherwise. The emphasis on health and wellness has led me to incorporate even more healthful measures into my life. I love my colleagues and feel valued and respected at work. Through various programs, the company encourages reading and life long learning. Employees are treated like adults, given freedom with their schedules, and encouraged to determine their own job descriptions based on their skills and preferences. I've never worked anywhere where the morale was so high.

Cons

Sometimes the environment can be disruptive or chaotic. It's important to have areas people can retreat to in order to work quietly/undisturbed. Sometimes there are too many hands in a project and it can get unwieldy.

Keep it up!

Oct 24, 2014

We are so honored to read your comments - it is truly special to see a review like this on Glassdoor. Your experience here mirrors what we hope to provide our members - an opportunity to change their ... More

Challenging, interesting, fun

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This is overall a happy, supportive environment. People, leadership included, really care about others and making this a great place to work, while remaining intense and challenging.

Cons

You need to cultivate a lot of self discipline here-- to manage distractions and to keep yourself from working 24/7 because there is so much to be done and it's all so interesting. I also agree with the reviewer that duplicate efforts crop up because the environment is so fast paced.

I know you are reading this and paying close attention, and that's what makes the Fool a great place to work. One suggestion might be to define leadership team's roles and goals more clearly and more often.

Oct 24, 2014

You raise so many good points in your review (including how seriously we take our Glassdoor reviews). We love your point about the balance between a supportive, caring environment and a challenging ... More

Contractors make the business but they aren't always treated fairly.

Former Employee - Contributor
    Former Employee - Contributor

I worked at Motley Fool as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The Motley Fool really takes their mission and core values seriously, and for the most part, they tend to deliver. While on-campus, you are allowed pretty much free reign over your schedule, and it got to the point that we would only come in when we had a meeting or some other event scheduled. Not too shabby.

Free pizza, cake, and other foodstuffs are always a bonus too.

Cons

As a contractor, I felt that I was never given an accurate picture of what my deliverables were for the company, other than a target number of articles to hit each month. "Coaching" to correct deficiencies often felt more negative than positive, and only made me question my ability as a writer, instead of encouraging me to do better. It got to a point where I would stress after hitting the submit button, that my article would have to undergo numerous additional revisions before publication, and therefore I would not be able to move onto other articles and increase my productivity.

I'll admit that most of this was perhaps my failure to adapt to the life of a freelance writer, but I also felt like my particular bureau had favorites among their stable of writers, and if you weren't among the handful of favorites, it was harder to get your stuff published in a timely manner. Furthermore, comparisons to the "favorites" seemed to do the opposite of building a strong bureau, instead pitting each writer against the others in a battle for top favorite.

With a strong stable of contract writers, maybe it is not necessary to give all the same boilerplate contract? If some are more comfortable writing less, and producing good product, maybe let them dictate the amount they write (and get paid for) instead.

Oct 24, 2014

Thanks for sharing your experiences at The Motley Fool. We’re very proud of our mission and core values, as well as an environment of trust that permits Fools to set their own schedule. We have been ... More

Energetic work environment, but fast-changing model makes feedback fickle.

Current Employee - Contractor in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Contractor in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Energetic environment, refreshing voice in the financial community, results-based

Cons

Sparse feedback, team communication can be difficult, shifting incentives structure

More consistent and constructive feedback from bureau chiefs would be wonderful.

Singular vision executed (mostly) well

Current Employee - Writer and Analyst
    Current Employee - Writer and Analyst

I have been working at Motley Fool as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

Terrific culture populated with genuinely good human beings. Management prizes tenure and seeks to keep the best for as long as possible.

Cons

Fits of experimentation can prove disruptive over short periods, but that's also the price of working in any high-growth, entrepreneurial environment.

Yours is an increasingly distributed organization. Be unafraid to use technology to better communicate and collaborate with workers across the globe.

Oct 24, 2014

Thanks very much for your review, and for recognizing our commitment to keeping our high performers (those genuinely good human beings) excited to stay with The Motley Fool. We like the comment about ... More