Motley Fool Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Great people, good ideas, poor execution, weak leadership.

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Fool houses some of the brightest, most talented people with whom I've ever worked. The employees truly aspire to greatness, and I've never been a part of a team that didn't collaborate effectively and from which I didn't learn tremendously.

The company does not have clear career paths, and I consider that a major plus. If you are curious and driven, you can develop a variety of skills and sculpt nearly any role you can think of for yourself within the business.

The benefits, mentioned in many reviews, are certainly wonderful. For smart, hard-working people (including many Fool employees), though, such benefits have become commoditized. Nearly any company I'd consider working for has comparable benefits. They are not the draw.

Cons

The leadership team oscillates between providing a top-down vision for the company and empowering teams to craft a strategy of their own. Either approach is valid, but oscillating between the two is dangerous, demoralizing, and ineffective. It is difficult to maintain a sense of ownership over your work when its direction -- and your role in shaping it -- frequently change.

Foolish leaders have a strong case of "not invented here" syndrome, which manifests itself in both new product ideas (partnerships, in which we'd give up some control, are anathema) and how we allocate people. Our executive team seems to believe that, for any possible new business or project on which we embark, we already have within the company the ideal set of employees for it. Promoting from within, when the desired skill set is available, is surely preferable -- but when the desired skill set is not, top-tier companies go out and hire the best. This TMF does not.

Advice to Management

Apply a critical eye to the composition of the leadership team and board. Is each group structured to seek disconfirming evidence and empowered to play devil's advocate? Is each member well-suited to lead the company over the coming ten years (rather than the past ten)?

Outgrown the CEO's ability to lead.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing people to work with. If you're in an administrative, tech-support, or HR role this is a great place to work because you'll be relatively over compensated and you'll be valued.

Cons

If you like working toward a longterm vision or developing a career, this is not the right place for you. Expect to "reorg'd" often and without input even if you are leading a team. Most leaders spend most of their emotional energy "protecting", "blocking", or "shielding" their direct reports from the vacillating whims of a passionate and disconnected CEO and leadership team. Your 1st year here will be amazing, but disillusionment follows as you climb the ranks. Most managers joke that they won't have a team or job to return to after they take vacation --better monitor email at night and when away.

Advice to Management

We need a heart to heart conversation with our CEO and Board of Directors. In fact, we've out grown his ability to lead. A strong co-CEO might work, (works for Whole Foods) but that CEO would need real support from the board or that will become a revolving door too. It's telling that our CEO is in NYC while we're in Alexandria, VA... AND we fear when "Tom's in town" no matter how fun the randomness is.

I'd be crazy to leave this place

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I could go on and on, but some of the main highlights are: the people, the laid-back culture, the flexibility (in both job and work schedule), the trust and mutual accountability, and most of all... the ability to truly change the world. The mission at The Motley Fool is to help the world invest -- better and everyone in the company knows it and is completely committed to it. Every day, you don't feel like you're just going to do any normal job with people you don't really like; you feel like you're part of something bigger and your co-workers are some of your best friends.

Cons

If you need to have stability in your job and workplace environment, then TMF may not be for you. The company moves incredibly fast with new initiatives and strategies and people are expected to adjust just as quickly. You could have a few different jobs at TMF within the first couple years of working there. So, if you really thrive off of stability, you may struggle at TMF.

Advice to Management

While the pace is fast and teams/roles move around incredibly often, ensure that communication of all changes is timely and clear.

Excellent company to work for, until it wasn't

Former Employee - Writer
    Former Employee - Writer

I worked at Motley Fool full-time

Pros

As a Freelance Writer, I received excellent feedback and support for my articles. Editors were always willing to help and gave great tips to make my work better.

Cons

Multiple editors suggested that I could become a Contract Writer. I was told many times to "keep it up" or "work with your editors" and you'll get there. However, after three years of writing for the company, and thousands of articles published, Motley Fool decided to cut off all Freelancers with no notice whatsoever.

Great Place to Work With Lots of Opportunities

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Motley Fool is known for its company culture which is supported by a great team of people. Events are planned monthly (or sometimes weekly) to bring Fools together and build collaboration and teamwork. While the company is laid back and allows employees flexibility to set their own hours, play games at work, and research and read as much as they want - there is a strong sense of purpose and employees are so dedicated to their projects that they truly play hard but work even harder.

Cons

If I wear a shirt with a collar and buttons people ask if I am going on a job interview.

Advice to Management

Keep dreaming big and supporting Fools. You do an awesome job.

Is this place real?

Current Employee - Editor, Fool.com
    Current Employee - Editor, Fool.com

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people, the culture, the autonomy, and knowing that every day you get to wake up and help individuals all over the world achieve their financial goals make this company second-to-none. Literally. The Motley Fool was voted the best medium sized company to work for.

Cons

Sometimes I drink too much beer at work and have to take a cab home.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

I'm excited to go to work everyday!

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love coming to work! My coworkers are driven and I enjoy the fact that there is always something different to do. The perks are great too! Free food fridges with healthy snacks and lots of fun events every month. Unlimited vacation and sick leave is awesome! I've made some great friends working here. There is a huge focus on health, which has pushed me to be better in my personal life.

Cons

With so much going on during the day, sometimes it can be difficult to get things accompished. I often come in early or stay later, but I really don't mind because with no set work hours, I can come and go when I want.

Advice to Management

I'd like to see Upper Management participate in more of the events and get to know the newer employees more.

Great, if you drink the Kool-Aid

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Definitely no shortage on perks, whether you are in house or a contractor. The company encourages a casual, fun-first atmosphere. Freedom to chase down your own ideas and initiatives.

Cons

The culture here is cult-ish, and if you show anything less than undying love for all things 'Fool,' you are met with the antithesis of what the company claims to represent. Though the Motley Fool encourages a wide range of opinions, it is not the case if you are an employee. You must bow down to the chosen darlings and blindly champion the rhetoric they consistently ooze. Egos are a problem here, and management seems to support it fully. The company's ultimate goals are to capture email addresses for the marketing department.

Advice to Management

Get back to focusing on the best investment advice possible, and take a close look at the editorial staff.

Great place to work, can be a rollercoaster

Current Employee - Technology in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Technology in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are smart, dedicated and friendly. There is good work/life balance. The company values are strong, and people try hard to live them.

Cons

The company can change directions quickly. People can be left behind when this happens. It's a good place to work but not a good place to build a career.

BEYOND My Wildest Dreams

Current Employee - Wellness Director in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Wellness Director in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing company benefits like free healthy food, subsidized massages and haircuts, high 401K match, and company stock options just to name a few. Talent and drive is super high here at The Fool so being able to work with highly motivated and passionate people is a huge plus!

Cons

Things move fast here at The Fool which can catch some people off guard. Luckily, I enjoy the challenge of a dynamic workplace and the longer I am here at The Fool the more normal it seems!

Motley Fool Response

Oct 31, 2014

Thanks for your review. It’s fantastic when newer Fools like you quickly recognize our culture and are motivated by our dynamic workplace. Thanks for all of the new ideas and great programs you’ve ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed