Motley Fool

www.fool.com

I don't plan to work anywhere else ... ever.

Current Employee - Associate Advisor in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Advisor in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I love our purpose to help the world invest better, and I love how dedicated we are to creating a culture that's working together to fulfill that purpose. Plus, I get to follow my passion for investing. How many companies truly create opportunities like that?

Cons

We are growing fast and are going through some growing pains, ones that every founder-led company has to go through as the business get bigger: management systems, team structures, decision-making systems, etc.

Keep doing what you're doing, which is to focus on building our culture and the development of our employees. It is very clear that management loves the company and the Fools that make it up.

Simply amazing. There is no place like it!

Former Employee - Human Resources in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Motley Fool full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

To have a company be so progressive in how they treat their employees - and having been that way from the beginning, for 20 years - is simply amazing. The executive team does things right, not only for employees but also members, and the people that work at The Fool are all extremely smart, kind, and entrepreneurial. Of course all of the perks and the work life balance is great, but that doesn't hold a candle to doing what you love with a group of people you love and moving together toward a mission you believe in. It's a positive and enjoyable place that really is like no other place to work that I've come across - ever. It's a rare gem.

Cons

While Alexandria and the surrounding DC areas are great, I would love if they had offices throughout the US. Other than that, I can't say enough great things about the workplace, the people, the executive team, and their mission/purpose.

Keep up the good work and keep that great culture in tact, no matter what.

Oct 31, 2014

We are so flattered - thank you for the review! Your mention of “doing what you love with a group of people you love and moving together toward a mission you believe in” wonderfully captures what ... More

Pretty amazing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I really like the challenging and stimulating work, as well as the accommodating vacation policy. Especially enjoy the interaction with our customers. I like that management wants you to work where your strengths lie and where you're most comfortable.

Cons

People change teams and roles and it's sometimes hard to keep track of who is the best person to talk to on a particular topic. Advancement can be slow.

Oct 31, 2014

Your comment about strengths is very meaningful to us. Our People Team works closely with Fools to understand their strengths and actively looks for ways to move them into a role where those ... More

Great for freelancers

Current Employee - Freelancer
    Current Employee - Freelancer

I have been working at Motley Fool

Pros

Site allows potential writers easy access to CMS and resources, which is really useful when starting out. There is a lot of information on writing and sources. Editors respond in a timely manner with useful and constructive feedback. They are very interested in publishing posts written from many points of view; if you make a compelling argument, it's fair game.

Cons

Impossible for a freelancer to know how many other people are working on a post on the same company(ies) or topic. Other than that, no real cons.

Oct 24, 2014

Thanks for your review! We’re definitely looking for lots of viewpoints. Great to know that your interaction with editors has been positive. Thanks for being a Fool!

Best Job I've Ever Had

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than a year)

Pros

TMF has changed my life in many unexpected ways. In addition to earning a living wage, I have been able to pay off my credit card that lingered from graduate school and am chipping away at my student loan debt. I've learned about and started to invest with the guidance if TMF, and always feel comfortable asking questions and seeking advice if need be. I'm consistently surprised by the generosity of the company. I feel grateful every day that this company had changed me for the better- financially and otherwise. The emphasis on health and wellness has led me to incorporate even more healthful measures into my life. I love my colleagues and feel valued and respected at work. Through various programs, the company encourages reading and life long learning. Employees are treated like adults, given freedom with their schedules, and encouraged to determine their own job descriptions based on their skills and preferences. I've never worked anywhere where the morale was so high.

Cons

Sometimes the environment can be disruptive or chaotic. It's important to have areas people can retreat to in order to work quietly/undisturbed. Sometimes there are too many hands in a project and it can get unwieldy.

Keep it up!

Oct 24, 2014

We are so honored to read your comments - it is truly special to see a review like this on Glassdoor. Your experience here mirrors what we hope to provide our members - an opportunity to change their ... More

Challenging, interesting, fun

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This is overall a happy, supportive environment. People, leadership included, really care about others and making this a great place to work, while remaining intense and challenging.

Cons

You need to cultivate a lot of self discipline here-- to manage distractions and to keep yourself from working 24/7 because there is so much to be done and it's all so interesting. I also agree with the reviewer that duplicate efforts crop up because the environment is so fast paced.

I know you are reading this and paying close attention, and that's what makes the Fool a great place to work. One suggestion might be to define leadership team's roles and goals more clearly and more often.

Oct 24, 2014

You raise so many good points in your review (including how seriously we take our Glassdoor reviews). We love your point about the balance between a supportive, caring environment and a challenging ... More

Contractors make the business but they aren't always treated fairly.

Former Contractor - Contributor
    Former Contractor - Contributor

I worked at Motley Fool as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The Motley Fool really takes their mission and core values seriously, and for the most part, they tend to deliver. While on-campus, you are allowed pretty much free reign over your schedule, and it got to the point that we would only come in when we had a meeting or some other event scheduled. Not too shabby.

Free pizza, cake, and other foodstuffs are always a bonus too.

Cons

As a contractor, I felt that I was never given an accurate picture of what my deliverables were for the company, other than a target number of articles to hit each month. "Coaching" to correct deficiencies often felt more negative than positive, and only made me question my ability as a writer, instead of encouraging me to do better. It got to a point where I would stress after hitting the submit button, that my article would have to undergo numerous additional revisions before publication, and therefore I would not be able to move onto other articles and increase my productivity.

I'll admit that most of this was perhaps my failure to adapt to the life of a freelance writer, but I also felt like my particular bureau had favorites among their stable of writers, and if you weren't among the handful of favorites, it was harder to get your stuff published in a timely manner. Furthermore, comparisons to the "favorites" seemed to do the opposite of building a strong bureau, instead pitting each writer against the others in a battle for top favorite.

With a strong stable of contract writers, maybe it is not necessary to give all the same boilerplate contract? If some are more comfortable writing less, and producing good product, maybe let them dictate the amount they write (and get paid for) instead.

Oct 24, 2014

Thanks for sharing your experiences at The Motley Fool. We’re very proud of our mission and core values, as well as an environment of trust that permits Fools to set their own schedule. We have been ... More

Energetic work environment, but fast-changing model makes feedback fickle.

Current Contractor - Contractor in Alexandria, VA
    Current Contractor - Contractor in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Energetic environment, refreshing voice in the financial community, results-based

Cons

Sparse feedback, team communication can be difficult, shifting incentives structure

More consistent and constructive feedback from bureau chiefs would be wonderful.

Singular vision executed (mostly) well

Current Contractor - Writer and Analyst
    Current Contractor - Writer and Analyst

I have been working at Motley Fool as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

Terrific culture populated with genuinely good human beings. Management prizes tenure and seeks to keep the best for as long as possible.

Cons

Fits of experimentation can prove disruptive over short periods, but that's also the price of working in any high-growth, entrepreneurial environment.

Yours is an increasingly distributed organization. Be unafraid to use technology to better communicate and collaborate with workers across the globe.

Oct 24, 2014

Thanks very much for your review, and for recognizing our commitment to keeping our high performers (those genuinely good human beings) excited to stay with The Motley Fool. We like the comment about ... More

Great Internship, Better People

Former Intern - Investing Intern in Alexandria, VA
    Former Intern - Investing Intern in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Motley Fool as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly work environment, people are very open to talking to you and helping you (everyone), not the kind of internship where you are expected to get coffee and pizza for people, many other perks that include pizza days, omelets breakfasts, and desserts

Cons

The investment internship is loosely structured, although the career advancement opportunities are minimal since the internship does not allow opportunity for further advancement usually

You're doing great Tom and David! Keep it up.