Motorcity Hotel & Casino

2.1

CEO

A Good Start

I have been working at Motorcity Hotel & Casino

Pros

- You will definitely learn a lot in this company. The Ilitch Family has done a ot of great things
     - Flexible Scheduling
     - Meet a lot of diverse people
     - On-Site Cafeteria (Free): Not The Best
     - Paid 1 hour lunch

Cons

- No performance reviews
     - No raises after you hit your 100%
     - 24/7 environment
     - Minimal training

Implement performance reviews and raises to keep the employees pushing harder every day

Very poor leadership. Actually no leadership.

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Motorcity Hotel & Casino full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

wages. benifits are good. They have been cutting them for years, but still good. free meals.. Free parking. Union jobs.

Cons

everything else. No direction within the company. No one knows the plan. your told at every chance that your just lucky to have a job. not one manager could get that job anywhere else. done of the most incompotant leaders in the business. 85% of staffwould leave if the same job was angular e's for the same pay.

None. To the ownership. Start over. They have been milking you for years.

only worried about the bottom line

Current Employee - Manager  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Motorcity Hotel & Casino

Pros

free employee meal and parking, exposure to areas of employment you might not otherwise consider, some of the highest paid salaries in the area even among the 3 casinos

Cons

HUGE LACK OF INTEGRITY, communication, direction, and TOTAL DISREGARD FOR WORK-LIFE BALANCE on a salaried level for non-casino based management --- ALL ABOUT THE BOTTOM LINE.

1- you can only tell people fluff so many times without following through on what you say before they begin to see your words hold no weight, value or truth. why ask manager's opinions and what they want for the dept, their staff, themselves, if you literally never utilize what they say?

2- important procedures/decisions change daily in this particular department so you always save your emails with those procedures from last week so you're not the fall guy when you didnt get the memo that things changed 2 days ago. it also looks bad because upper level mgt doesnt even stand by their own decisions.

3- paychecks are for 40 hours, but several depts REQUIRE their managers to work 45-50 hours + per week and most mgrs in those depts RARELY get breaks and if so, it's a severely interrupted break.

4- we dont have the tools to do our job, including human bodies!! management is stretched so thin it's unreal. we lose staff left and right all over, both associates and mgrs, and we cant "afford" to replace them. we cannot get the tools we need for our associates to do their jobs or us to do ours which ultimately effects the guest. it's always about the bottom line.

5- things take an extraordinarily long time to fix again which effect the guest in most cases because of inconveniences of things not working as they should.

6- schedules change all the time. you get the third degree if you have an emergency and have to call off (because your co-managers are left to pick up the pieces and run even more ragged). when others go on vacations or LOA, plan on a 6 day work week because again, there's no extra management coverage to help.

7- outside of some of the casino-based associates (because their managers make the most money and somewhat get a say in their schedules), associates in other depts dont want to advance to mgt level because they make more money for the amount of pressure and hours they work and get better total benefits OVERALL (instant 401k contribution, personal/sick days, bidded schedules, WAY BETTER WORK -LIFE BALANCE) than their mgrs do.

look at the casino side for example!!! SHOW YOUR MGRS YOU ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT THEIR WORK-LIFE BALANCE and SHOW SOME INTEGRITY - WALK THE WALK. maybe then you would have mgrs that actually have the energy to make a difference rather than just get through the day. you are wasting precious talent right under your nose. ASK THE ASSOCIATES IN YOUR DEPT IF THEY WOULD WANT TO ADVANCE TO MGT OR NOT AND WHY.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible employer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Motorcity Hotel & Casino

Pros

Compensation is adequate. Free lunch is a nice perk.

Cons

Terrible management. The employees are completely disposable.

There's more to a successful business than money.

It used to be better

I have been working at Motorcity Hotel & Casino

Pros

decent money, co-workers are awesome, free food

Cons

major communication issues, lack of appreciation

Its great to be decisive in this industry. Remember that your employees have good ideas that can help make these decisions. We are not just work horses! We have brains that work.

Worked for Motorcity Hotel & Casino? Contribute to the Community!