Motorola Mobility

Updated Jul 18, 2014

3.1 1,472 reviews

Motorola Mobility President Rick Osterloh

Rick Osterloh

Pros
  • For same reason work-life balance better in Illinois than California(in 121 reviews)

• Very flexible work hours as long as things get done(in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management retains high degree of control on most decisions(in 95 reviews)

• Was an excellent role and the hours were perfect for getting a good work/life balance(in 23 reviews)

1,472 Employee Reviews

A fun place to work if you can keep up with the pace/stress

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMotorola was a fun place to work with some great people - I was able to form lifelong friendships. Also, with deep pockets and extensive resources, I was able to work on exciting projects of which I was genuinely proud. Also, I flourished in the fast-paced environment that was always looking forward.

ConsThe only constant at Motorola was change, so there was no use getting used to anything. And while I liked the pace, I gave up a lot of personal time to work - I used to laugh at the idea of vacation time because I never used it. Also, it was a very competitive environment, so while there were some really nice people, there were also some REALLY nasty people who couldn't wait for me to fail - I just had to remind myself that "haters gonna hate!" and it fueled me to be even better at my job.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere was a lot of bureaucracy at Motorola - with many layers of management. A simplified structure that collapsed the multiple layers would have been more productive.

glory days are gone

Proswill get exposure to new technologies,
    will get to work with talented engineers

Conshard to make a comeback in this industry, will probably be shutdown after lenovo take over in couple of years

It is an exiting company to work, but management in some areas sucks.

Data Warehouse Architect (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIf you want to be surrounded with people who are making things happen, work on a real product, and you are ambitions, and not afraid of challenges it is a place for you. Also, you'd better be a young, not married, no kids and live in a Chicago Down Town area individual. But be aware....

ConsCompany values are advertised as hard workers are getting recognized. This statement pending the situation with sales and a revenue of course. If SLTs are making wrong decision they are in fact punishing the whole company. These "wrong" decisions are plaguing the company for a very long time now. So, it was a hope in 2012 when Google took over that things would become better. Google guys thought that the major thing that will increase productivity would be to change how people are sitting, Such a joke! :) Open environment with all employees sharing the same space, no walls, no cubes. Noise from one group of coworkers conversations are destructing others. I was in Google offices and saw on my own eyes what the layout of offices they are using. Other companies claim that they want to copy it. Motorola also claims it is a "Google style", but it is not. Google places teams in a areas that are enclosed from other teams. So, it looks like "hives" offices that are shared by team members, but not shared between different teams. Transportation vise: when the move happened from old Libretyville office into the Merchandise Mart in Chicago for 80% of people commute time increased immediately from 15-30 minutes to 1:30-2:00 hours each way. But, the work load has increased. Nobody in a management seems to care that people need to adjust to the new environment. It is also very important that your manager is in a same location (especially upper manager of your manager). If you are not known for the top you are very likely to be the first on a street. People by the end of the year got reviews that are clearly not recognizing their efforts. So, a lot of people are really disappointed and will be leaving the company in case the opportunity will arise.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring more for the people and not just for themselves. Shuttle service is a joke. It takes less time to walk from the train station in a Chicago Down Town then going on a shuttle. Other companies in New York/Sunnyvale - Chase bank or Google for example, have a designated shuttles running from suburbs or major hubs to the offices. That would ease up some hassle of commuting. This is especially important since the 80% of employees are still living compactly near old company location.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not really good. we developed 4 platforms without success...

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

Prosnice people. more or less flexible hours.

Consvery formal management. very heavy "old way hardware" company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not sale Motorola. Leave it for USA.

ok company mismanaged

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) Fremont, CA

Prosgood technology, good compensation, weak outlook

Conspoor management, not sure of future, weak

Advice to Senior Managementresign, promote from within

Test Engineer / Project Management

Systems Test Engineer (Former Employee) Horsham, PA

ProsGood place to work, good work environment, with alot of good people to work with. There is alot of new Technology to work on and produce into the market place.

ConsSome of the various group were difficult to work with, not enough advancement to move into other groups, Benefits were reducing and you supporting more out of pocket expenses. and constant lay-off's, not very steady place to work right now. Not enough training.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees

Google's red-headed stepchild

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe salaries were OK to decent, there were good benefits (albeit ones that got weaker year by year) and the work when you got to actually get on and do it, was fun.

ConsMotorola Mobility was always Google's red-headed stepchild. They always kept it at arms' length and treated the company and its employees as something they were embarrassed by, even as they disremembered it, laying off large chunks, selling off other chunks, and finally dumping the rest. Needless to say morale was not very good - how could it be when your corporate owners didn't like to think you existed.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a strategy and be proud of what your people create - don't let a once proud name completely disappear under the new ownership.

System Engineer

Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsGood corporate culture. Decent benefits. Great work/life balance.

ConsEverything changed when bought by Google.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed better benefits.

I worked less than a year when my previous company was acquired by Motorola Mobility.

Office Coordinator (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsGood benefits, FREE soft drinks and snacks..

ConsToo many managers on top of each other, for expense report you need 4 signatures(managers)

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not hurt the little people who works hard, they do npot make the top $$$.

Great learning experience but too many management changes

Director, Strategic Sourcing (Former Employee) Libertyville, IL

ProsGreat team, smart and motivated people. Exciting industry - high technology that is fast paced and innovative.

ConsToo many changes in management too soon, severe competition reduces profitability, many copycat products coming from overseas like Taiwan and China.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep stability in leadership, build a more cohesive team based environment

Worked for Motorola Mobility? Contribute to the Community!