Motorola Mobility

Motorola Mobility Reviews in Illinois

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Motorola Mobility President Rick Osterloh

Rick Osterloh

Pros
  • For same reason work-life balance better in Illinois than California(in 122 reviews)

• Very flexible work hours as long as things get done(in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management retains high degree of control on most decisions(in 95 reviews)

• Was an excellent role and the hours were perfect for getting a good work/life balance(in 23 reviews)

514 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Wonderful place to work

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat work/life balance. Flexibility to work from home. Talented & diverse group of people. The new office location is great.

ConsI cannot think of many cons. I think there needs to be more opportunities for growth. There are too many organizational changes within the company.

Advice to Senior Managementorganization needs more stability

Test Engineer

Systems Test Engineer (Former Employee) Libertyville, IL

ProsGood Place for Start up ,there is a wealth of knowledge and you can Learn a lot, Co workers and managers are easy. Good Salary hikes and promotions

ConsNew Technology , Late working hours. Work life balance is ok, Less Products in the market

Advice to Senior ManagementStart make new design phone with good battery life

Good learning environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsVery open environment, as long as you are self-motivated, and what to learn new technologies and skills, the company won't block u from learning it.

ConsA lot of snacks, water and soda. Lunch is not provided, you are on your own. It would be great if there is a gym inside the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic!..Until things started going bad

Customer Service Operations (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSmart, driven co-workers, fast paced and always changing.

ConsLay-offs are common since technology and competition has passed Motorola by.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink outside the box. Advertise Motorola's products.

Toxic Environment

Product Manager (Former Employee) Libertyville, IL

ProsExcellent pay
    Excellent benefits
    Excellent work/flexibility arrangements (come in later/earlier; work from home when needed)
    Great opportunities to build skills up until the last 2-3 years.

ConsToo much sexual conversations out loud in work areas
    The more layoffs occurred, the the more toxic the environment (back-stabbing)
    Flirting and sexual harassment accepted (if you don't participate you are an outsider)
    No work-life balance; you must be available over lunch, after hours and on weekends

Advice to Senior ManagementBreathe, relax, then bring back camaraderie
    Need a 360 feedback loop to get feedback on middle management & project leaders the same way you get feedback on working level
    Don't always trust the words of the person closest to you (or always smiling in your face), they may have a motive for what they say
    What promotion?

My team at MMI was great, but the company as a whole lost its way years ago.

Performance Optimization Engineer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI worked with great people and had a great manager who set goals but left you alone to achieve them. As an electrical engineer, I worked with very competent, dedicated colleagues. MMI has come up with technically excellent handsets like the X and Droid MAXX, but Apple and Samsung have vastly greater marketing budgets.

ConsThe once- or twice-yearly layoffs since 2007 got to me after a while - they're energy- and morale-sapping. So did the lack of a successful winning strategy on the part of the senior leadership team. I hope that Lenovo can end the endless downsizing, but I doubt that it can and suspect Lenovo will end up just slapping the Motorola brand on made-in-china products.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm afraid it's probably too late to turn the company around, at least in its current form.

Good company, but morale had been decreasing

Senior Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) Libertyville, IL

ProsLearned a lot as a new hire from college
    Culture and morale was at the highest when I first started in 2006
    Opportunity to travel to many countries to support product launch
    Co-workers were cool and fun

Cons2008 company started to have multiple rounds of lay-offs and morale decreased
    Multiple reorganizations within the company every 2 months or so

A company losing money does not present the best opportunities for advancement

Project Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsTradition of company, culture and values are worth trying to restore

ConsRevolving door. Thousands of layoffs over and over again. New people were put in positions without any training.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a disconnect between the employees and the management.

Former Star

Project Manager (Former Employee) Libertyville, IL

Pros- Work with potentially cutting edge products;
    - Good salary;
    - Good benefits;
    - Good new location;
    - Many, many hard-working teams, many talented engineers;
    - Ability to test out some great products;

Cons- Leadership is completely self-centered, doesn't want to look outside and see what others are doing;
    - Criticism is completely out of question, even the most obviously stupid management decisions are met with ovation;
    - There is no life-work balance as a principle 24/7 is expected of everyone, and anything else is considered as a bad work ethics;

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit

Used to be a great American company

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Libertyville, IL

ProsUsed to have great training programs

ConsAfter a few wrong choices for top-managements, lost all initiatives and Google doesn't care about the company itself

Advice to Senior ManagementManufacturing business is different from Software business...

Worked for Motorola Mobility? Contribute to the Community!