Motorola Mobility

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.1 1,478 reviews

Motorola Mobility President Rick Osterloh

Rick Osterloh

Pros
  • For same reason work-life balance better in Illinois than California (in 122 reviews)

• Very flexible work hours as long as things get done (in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management retains high degree of control on most decisions (in 95 reviews)

• Was an excellent role and the hours were perfect for getting a good work/life balance (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights
1,478 Employee Reviews

Wonderful place to work

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat work/life balance. Flexibility to work from home. Talented & diverse group of people. The new office location is great.

ConsI cannot think of many cons. I think there needs to be more opportunities for growth. There are too many organizational changes within the company.

Advice to Senior Managementorganization needs more stability

Good learning environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsVery open environment, as long as you are self-motivated, and what to learn new technologies and skills, the company won't block u from learning it.

ConsA lot of snacks, water and soda. Lunch is not provided, you are on your own. It would be great if there is a gym inside the company.

Excellent workplace

Director Product Management (Former Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsGreat work culture at the SJC team

ConsGoogle and sale with retention of patents

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great benefits but lots of layoffs

Director of Engineering (Former Employee) Horsham, PA

ProsCompensation, bonuses and stock options/RSUs were great.

ConsWhen I worked for them there were several rounds of layoffs with the run up to the Google Acquisition, then the spinoff of Home to ARRIS.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue providing good benefits and financial incentives to the staff to keep everyone focused and motivated.

Test Engineer

Systems Test Engineer (Former Employee) Libertyville, IL

ProsGood Place for Start up ,there is a wealth of knowledge and you can Learn a lot, Co workers and managers are easy. Good Salary hikes and promotions

ConsNew Technology , Late working hours. Work life balance is ok, Less Products in the market

Advice to Senior ManagementStart make new design phone with good battery life

Best people, best company... ever

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsHighest caliber of people (competency and character) imaginable!

ConsDefocused organization, overlead by finance. Playing not to lose, rather than playing to win.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on few products and high-value markets only. Couple that with the true innovation that originally built Motorola as one of the greatest companies ever.

Too much uncertainty

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat, smart people who want to get Motorola back to a leader in the market. Great benefits.

ConsToo much change and uncertainty with the acquisition by Google then by Lenovo to get long-term strategic work done

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace your talented people

Fantastic!..Until things started going bad

Customer Service Operations (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSmart, driven co-workers, fast paced and always changing.

ConsLay-offs are common since technology and competition has passed Motorola by.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink outside the box. Advertise Motorola's products.

Smart people with Lousy 80's management

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Horsham, PA

ProsSuper Smart people.
    Good work Life balance

ConsVery laid Back and poor management

Advice to Senior ManagementThings need to get done fast and that needs less politics and more streamlined.

High-tech fun and frustration

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome people in the company are extremely skilled and hard working, and they are great to work with on interesting projects related to Android-based products. Motorola is the only big company in Chicago involved in smartphone development.

ConsMany middle managers do not have the training, education, or risk-taking attitude required to stay ahead in the smartphone industry, and there are many middle managers who do almost nothing (except hang onto their job through the next layoff). Adopting the Android platform gave Moto a boost, but not profitability. And now that Google is out of the picture, it's unclear if Lenovo will be able to make the company profitable. This company has a history of invention, but also a tendency to persevere on sidetracked products and senseless missions.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out how to create a highly reliable, streamlined, low-cost phone for the masses. Stop trying to market to high-end youth markets. Figure out how to put an end to the joke I recently heard ("Motorola is the biggest destroyer of human potential in the world."). Develop better business strategies for the company. Communicate the plans better to employees. Support talented team members in their quest to implement great stuff for the company.

Worked for Motorola Mobility? Contribute to the Community!