Motorola Mobility

Not yet rated.

Motorola Mobility President Rick Osterloh

Rick Osterloh

1,429 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "There can be (depending on your manager) a strong sense of work/life balance"
    in 111 reviews
  • "Very flexible work hours as long as things get done"
    in 55 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management retains high degree of control on most decisions"
    in 95 reviews
  • "Also, the work-life balance can be difficult, because it's a fast-paced industry"
    in 20 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Feel like we are in the final straight

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Motorola Mobility full-time for more than a year

ProsStrong leadership team, very collaborative environment, great products that are really starting to get momentum.
Industry leading software team and getting Motorola first to market with Android plus adding new features that are really useful vs. gimmicks.

ConsLots of change - mostly in the right direction, but it's not for the faint hearted.
It's sometimes hard to get things done, as some processes no longer work, having been built by people no longer with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould be great to learn more about Lenovo's plans for the future.
Keep shipping great products and everything else will fall into place.

It is an exiting company to work, but management in some areas sucks.

Data Warehouse Architect (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Motorola Mobility full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you want to be surrounded with people who are making things happen, work on a real product, and you are ambitions, and not afraid of challenges it is a place for you. Also, you'd better be a young, not married, no kids and live in a Chicago Down Town area individual. But be aware....

ConsCompany values are advertised as hard workers are getting recognized. This statement pending the situation with sales and a revenue of course. If SLTs are making wrong decision they are in fact punishing the whole company. These "wrong" decisions are plaguing the company for a very long time now. So, it was a hope in 2012 when Google took over that things would become better. Google guys thought that the major thing that will increase productivity would be to change how people are sitting, Such a joke! :) Open environment with all employees sharing the same space, no walls, no cubes. Noise from one group of coworkers conversations are destructing others. I was in Google offices and saw on my own eyes what the layout of offices they are using. Other companies claim that they want to copy it. Motorola also claims it is a "Google style", but it is not. Google places teams in a areas that are enclosed from other teams. So, it looks like "hives" offices that are shared by team members, but not shared between different teams. Transportation vise: when the move happened from old Libretyville office into the Merchandise Mart in Chicago for 80% of people commute time increased immediately from 15-30 minutes to 1:30-2:00 hours each way. But, the work load has increased. Nobody in a management seems to care that people need to adjust to the new environment. It is also very important that your manager is in a same location (especially upper manager of your manager). If you are not known for the top you are very likely to be the first on a street. People by the end of the year got reviews that are clearly not recognizing their efforts. So, a lot of people are really disappointed and will be leaving the company in case the opportunity will arise.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring more for the people and not just for themselves. Shuttle service is a joke. It takes less time to walk from the train station in a Chicago Down Town then going on a shuttle. Other companies in New York/Sunnyvale - Chase bank or Google for example, have a designated shuttles running from suburbs or major hubs to the offices. That would ease up some hassle of commuting. This is especially important since the 80% of employees are still living compactly near old company location.

Research Employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Motorola Mobility full-time for less than a year

ProsExcellent Work Culture. Flexible life

ConsPublication is tough. Work load.

Still a good company despite uncertainty in the looming Lenovo acquisition

Principal Staff Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Motorola Mobility full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSmart people, interesting projects and cutting edge technology if you pick the right group. Good work-life balance, flexible work schedule. Convenient access to VTA light rail (public tram) and CalTrain. Motorola products are on the upswing and the company has a promising future.

ConsStaff are anxious about the Lenovo buyout and what it will be like post-Google. Some people abuse the work from home perk, and still plenty of dead weight. Managers have their favorites and you would be disadvantaged in performance reviews if you're not on their list.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk around and know your ground troops instead of always relying on your direct reports. They filter the truth you know. Also, the flexible work schedule is a valued benefit and employees with families highly prize it. Don't drop it otherwise you'll lose folks like me.

Still good mobile company with innovative platform/service/apps

Principal Staff Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Motorola Mobility full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThough it is old company, I didn't see much office politics. People are very nice and cooperative.

ConsI didn't see much career development opportunity. The quality of people in terms of devotion and talent is quite mixed.

Finally learned to Execute, but still not profitable. Last chance with Lenovo?

Chicago, IL

I have been working at Motorola Mobility full-time

ProsExciting like roller coaster. Very focused on technology 1 to 2 years out but limited research. Finally have good software and software team. Decent product offerings with some success (market share growth). New ownership (Lenovo) may provide road to success (more market share) and profitability (i.e. still need to stem quarterly losses). Salary decent given cost of living is low in Illinois. For same reason work-life balance better in Illinois than California. Work interesting and challenging.

ConsExciting like roller coaster. Leadership stuck on near term focus of product delivery. Multiple years of turmoil due to multiple changes in management and ownership and significant downsizing has left many teams a little shell shocked. Next challenge yet another new owner: Lenovo. Partnership either helps MM to grow market share or worst case is just a grab for Motorola brand followed by significant layoffs to stem MM quarterly losses.

Very good atmosphere

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I worked at Motorola Mobility full-time for more than a year

ProsVery good atmosphere to work , clear vision

Conslayoff , company downsizing and no personel growth

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Excellent

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Motorola Mobility full-time for more than a year

ProsVery good Work culture and excellent workforce

Consuncertainity
periodic layoffs
periodic aquisitions
management changes

Too many unconstructive meetings for the sake of having one

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Motorola Mobility

ProsSome cool engineers, but majority is all about 'holding' their job!

ConsToo much focus on pleasing the 'boss' and his/her immediate goals.. that explains why this company is no more, right?

Advice to Senior ManagementDid the right thing, sold to Lonovo

Learned lots of new things

Project Lead (Current Employee)

ProsWork life balance
Improved a lot after taking over by google
Reasonable perks............

ConsUncertainity
Values...........
Lenovo take over, still confused where it will lead to

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate job security

Worked for Motorola Mobility? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Motorola Mobility reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Motorola Mobility CEO Rick Osterloh. All 1,429 reviews posted anonymously by Motorola Mobility employees.