Motorola Mobility

Motorola Mobility Reviews in Santa Clara, CA

Updated Mar 3, 2014

Motorola Mobility President Rick Osterloh

Rick Osterloh

Pros
  • For same reason work-life balance better in Illinois than California(in 121 reviews)

• Very flexible work hours as long as things get done(in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management retains high degree of control on most decisions(in 95 reviews)

• Was an excellent role and the hours were perfect for getting a good work/life balance(in 23 reviews)

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I worked less than a year when my previous company was acquired by Motorola Mobility.

Office Coordinator (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsGood benefits, FREE soft drinks and snacks..

ConsToo many managers on top of each other, for expense report you need 4 signatures(managers)

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not hurt the little people who works hard, they do npot make the top $$$.

This is a good company, employee friendly

Principal Staff (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsFun place to work, employee friendly, good technical work, good managment

ConsFrequent company restructring, frequent division spin offs

Advice to Senior ManagementFrequent restructing will demotivate the employees

Five Year Employment at Motorola Mobility

NPI Supply Chain Program Manager (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsAs a Program Manager for Networked Video Infrastructure Solution products in the Motorola Home business my 5 year employment was one of the finest experiences of my career. The one thing I always appreciated was the way different departments work together to form cohesive teams.

ConsSince the Motorola Home business was sold to ARRIS a major reduction in workforce took place. Unfortunately I was part of that reduction however I am currently pursuing openings at Motorola Mobility.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good life/work balance, but no career growth

Principal Software Engineer (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

Prosgood life/work balance, friendly working environment

Conslack of innovation, very slow growth or no growth.
    now even worse in the hands of google: a google company, but employees are not allowed to enter google facilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to learn how to repect employees, and how to write decent company emails.

Clock in/clock out, no growth, no direction

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsMotorola's flexible time options are good and some groups have competent engineers and managers.

ConsManagement is "Darth Vader"-like. Only friends/politically-connected get promoted and wield their power to foster an atmosphere of "be-a-sheep-we-don't-want-you-to-think-too-much" and "don't-ask-questions". Communication between mgmt and engineers is negligible. No product planning and most employees are biding time till they get laid off.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate to employees how they can contribute directly to the bottom line and engage them. Also, try to hire first-level managers with experience instead of engineers who don't know how to manage and don't want to learn.

Nice place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsLike working here. have work hour flexibility. Managers are caring.

ConsIf the company proactively provided an option to employees to move for their career growth, it would be nice, don't see that happening so far.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the company proactively provided an option to employees to move for their career growth, it would be nice, don't see that happening so far.

Motorola: insiders view on the state of affairs

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

Prosbenefits - good time off
    Motorola univeristy training courses
    motorola brand

ConsNot a visionary company
    Internal groups fight with each other
    Layoffs affecting the morale of all groups
    Senior leadership/ board do seem to be genuine about improving the state of the company
    Top talent has left the company
    compensation is Not comensurate with industry standard
    Market/industry has lost value for the company

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople in the company are very down. Most of the talented people are leaving cause they dont see a clear product strategy. There is only a lot of talk followed by more talking. Groups are fights with each other and not cooperating.
    There should me better way to motivate the troops

Too big for its own good

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsThe co-workers at the division I work at - are wonderful - at least those I spent considerable time with. However, it should be noted that there are a lot of politics.

ConsThe company is so large, simple things take ridiculous amounts of time. Various divisions aren't really treated as real partners, more as poor stepchildren. Those acquired in particular have a hard time integrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the handset biz: don't get lured in by the iPhone and keyless phones. The iPhone is more than a keyless phone; its OS is great, but a keyless WM device or other type of phone: bleh.

Worked for Motorola Mobility? Contribute to the Community!