Motorola Solutions Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014

3.3

Motorola Solutions Chairman & CEO Gregory Q. Brown
Gregory Q. Brown

Pros
  • There is a good amount of engaging work and great work life balance is the norm (in 65 reviews)

• It is nice to be able to work from home when needed and I am grateful for the vacation time (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is less people-oriented than they used to be (in 18 reviews)

• Be sure to maintain your work-life balance and set up limits (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Was a rocky experience but they were great if you survived

Former Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Motorola Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits, good work/life balance, got my master's paid for, and flexibility in the work schedule

Cons

Too many layers of management; not the best promotion/bonus system

Training should be encouraged, especially if its a weakness to the person or team

Great career experience

Former Employee - Management  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Management in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Motorola Solutions full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Experience in several areas of the business, work life balance was always considered with management goals.

Cons

For the many years I have worked there I have never come across anything negative. I was always given the opportunity to learn, grow and advance my career.

Motorola Solutions

I have been working at Motorola Solutions for more than 10 years

Pros

Public Safety leader in P25

Cons

Change in philosophy, may follow the pack

Focus on customers, lisen better

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

MSI provides a rewarding professional experience

Former Employee - Product Planning  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Product Planning in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Motorola Solutions full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent benefits. Great teams to work with. People get rewarded for good work. Variety of jobs and experiences available.

Cons

Older technology. Company is shrinking. Long product life cycles.

Always leading the way on solutions and employee programs

I have been working at Motorola Solutions

Pros

Very talented driven & productive people

Cons

Still moves too slow, but that is improving

Stay the course, take care of your people, they will take care of the rest.

The good old Motorola is gone and won't be coming back

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Motorola Solutions full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Motorola does give pretty good PTO days and the salary seems to be a little higher than the rest of the industry. There's some bonding through misery which causes some camaraderie.

Cons

Motorola used to be a fantastic place to work. Lots of opportunity, balanced work-life, and the prestige that went with a Fortune 70 company. Then it started selling off small pieces then selling off major pieces. This along with the constant layoffs caused it to transform itself into literally a new company called Motorola Solutions.

We thought that this smaller more focused place would solve it's past issues. However, now this company is still selling off and heavily laying off the last piece that's remaining. Morale is at an all-time low as there's nowhere internally left to "escape" to. Is barely a Fortune 500 company now.

Realize the emotional impact all of these layoffs and sell-offs cause to your employees. And please stop saying to forget about the past. It's the glorious past that caused us to join Motorola in the first place. Understand that being a "has-been" is in many ways worse than being a "never-was".

Good place to work

I have been working at Motorola Solutions full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good financially, great Innovation, ok benefits, talented co-workers. Great company to work for. Great history and reputation. Global experience.

Cons

Constant restructuring keeps ones on their toes although top management has been consistently in place for a while.

Out-Sourced to Asia

I worked at Motorola Solutions for more than 10 years

Pros

nothing relevant for employee success

Cons

Tenure means nothing - out-source at will

Collapsing under its own weight

I have been working at Motorola Solutions full-time

Pros

I have skillful technical coworkers. Our paychecks clear. There is an abundant supply of "Go Team!" flavored Kool-Aid provided by the company for those who thirst. The work day is not overlong. They are very proud of things they did in WWII.

Cons

MSI has gone from about a gazillion employees a decade ago down to 21,000 now, and they're still selling off business units and laying people off. Much of the radio technology is ancient and heavy and overpriced. The company is organized into fearful defensive product silos. Creativity comes from corporate acquisitions, which MSI then proceeds to mismanage into the ground.

Motorola Solutions appears to hate their employees. At the moment, my coworkers are scrambling to produce marriage licenses and birth certificates to prove our dependents aren't lies and fabrications. If we fail to accomplish this by a certain date, the company will stop paying benefits to our families. No, really.

Motorola has terrible management, and far too much of it. The company has added process upon process upon process over the eons, each process fiercely defended by petty bureaucrats as if it were the most important thing in the world, to the point where it's like swimming through jello to get any useful work done. The Motorola Way Of Doing Things may have been successful once, in 1952 or something, but its plainly old and sad and tired now.

The best part of my job is working with experienced technical people. Alas, many of them are growing frustrated with MSI and beginning to interview elsewhere and leave. They're not leaving because of the work, or because of the pay, or because of long hours; they're leaving because the company is a confusing and discouraging place to work.

Awesome people, great benefits, salary comparable...

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Motorola Solutions full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people are great! Very friendly, helpful, compassionate...
    Excellent benefits - bar none!
    Salary is comparable - won't be eating caviar everyday, but you definitely won't starve!

Cons

The climate (now, of course not the Moto of time past) is that "these great people" are dispensable. Buildings are being sold left & right on the campus, downsizing everywhere, many fearing & not knowing if they'll be cut next. A turbulent time but hopeful it will recover.

Take care of your greatest asset - not the shareholders, not Wall Street analysts, not the CEO's lifestyle - none of this!!! It's the great people that helped build this company that has been around for 85 years.

Worked for Motorola Solutions? Contribute to the Community!