Motricity Reviews

Updated August 11, 2014
Updated August 11, 2014
2.4

Richard Sadowsky

Pros
  • smart people, work-life balance, decent pay (in 3 reviews)

• There are still good people working here and the challenges and experiences you can get are unmatched (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Incompetent executive team needs to be replaced (in 3 reviews)

• Communications need to be improved and more direction delivered from the management team (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Interesting!

Current Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Motricity full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nimble and dynamic environment, fast paced culture.

Cons

Volatile strategic initiatives, inadequately prepared to compete

Keep doing it!

Company emerging from major change in great space focusing on innovation

I have been working at Motricity full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Innovation focus is really top of mind
    Straight shooting CEO who makes really tough decisions and has saved this company IMHO
    Mobile space we are in is really a cool space, growing
    Motricity has lived through a near death experience and it has brought a group of people a lot closer together
    The enterprise stuff and all the predictive data tech we are doing is really interesting. Learning truckloads everyday.

Cons

Getting through last 9 months of changing the business has been really tough
    Shaking the bad memories of former CEO Ryan Wuerch.
    Getting some people in the company focused on moving forward, this isn't a socialist state, a few bad apples need to change their attitude.

Keep going. Next level of mgmt needs to work together better.
    Board or whoever should make our CEO permanent, we have made it through big challenges thanks to him, thankless job but it is appreciated.

Opportunities and Growth

I worked at Motricity full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities are here, especially as they go through changes. If you like the opportunities that come with small companies going through the reinvention process, then you can do well here. There are still good people working here and the challenges and experiences you can get are unmatched. Change and adaptability are the keys to your success.

Cons

Mobile sector is chaotic and unpredictable.

Current management is on the right track and all that is left is to produce.

Great experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Motricity

Pros

What you do matters in this fast pased environment.

Cons

Typical small company chaos, nothing unexpected though.

Keep doing what you're doing because it is working.

Great place, poor manager

I have been working at Motricity as an intern

Pros

free food and the location

Cons

lack of communication from management

good luck

Not as Bad as People Make it Sound

Current Employee - Professional Services in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Professional Services in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Motricity full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are many opportunities to try and learn new things re other jobs, functional areas, customers, etc and all have the mobile focus. If you are a developer, but want to learn more about PM role, you can do that. If you are a finance person and want to learn more about what it takes to do a deployment, you can do that here by actually participating. I have learned and been a part of conversations and decisions that I don't think I would get anywhere else, certainly not in a big company such as Amazon or Microsoft.

Everyone has the potential for influence.

The people are highly talented and management isn't as bad as other reviews make it sound. I believe management is transparent in communication, although they can't tell us everything all the time.

There have been places I've hoped to into a car accident on the way to work so I don't have to go in. This isn't one of those places.

Cons

It has been a bumpy ride, especially for the last 8 months. Just about every change imaginable has happened: APAC operations shut-down, CEO and other C-level management walked out the door, action for cost reductions (lay-offs), etc. It's been difficult and a challenge.

The morale needs improvement and uncertain if people here are taking it upon themselves to try to make it better or would rather just complain about it. I think many would rather complain about it rather than help try to improve it.

The little things matter. When you say something is going to be done, then make sure it gets done in the appointed timeframe. And if there is a delay, let people know before the deadline passes.

A company in transition, making the difficult choices it needs o evolve and grow

I have been working at Motricity full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Resilient employees, staff and leadership. Great customers in all lines of business. Smart people, dedicated and supportive of each other, have been through a lot together. Growing market opportunities and well positioned.

Cons

A company in transition, but has made and executed many of the difficult decisions to shape and evolve the business. Poor public perception and baggage from transition and changes.

Continue to evolve the business and shift focus from feature phones to smartphones, tablets and connected mobile devices. Stay committed to change and transformation.

Truly enjoyed the challenge and co-workers during my time at Motricity.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Motricity

Pros

Challenging and fast pace environments. Lots of technologies to keep you on your toes. Amazingly smart co-workers with compassion.

Cons

Communication gaps caused lost in direction/focus.

Be more transparent.

Thoughts!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I worked at Motricity

Pros

- Be able to take ownership of things and be able to openly share ideas and opinions.

Cons

- Not enough communication from executive team and not enough faith around some of the decisions being made. A lot of times it is possible that a day will feel as if they are not a part of the company itself - this affects the employee morale.

- Be Open in two way communication.
    - Employees like when the management is part of their day-day life and if there is a friendly atmosphere that prevails. Motricity had great working all last year and if the same continues - the company can hit great heights.

Tremendous engineering organization betrayed be incompetent senior management

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Durham, NC

I have been working at Motricity

Pros

The engineering organization within Motricity is the strongest that I've experienced in my professional career. The team is extremely dedicated to their work. Not only is the team technically talented but it consists of genuinely nice individuals who are both professional and a joy to work with. The compensation and benefits package are very competitive and raises are consistent with individuals' performances in my experience. The Motricity building in Durham is a very nice place to work. It's in a wonderful area of downtown Durham right by the Durham Bulls Stadium and the American Tobacco Campus. The company is also very understanding of the work/life balance. They're very accomodating of vacation requests whenever they're made.

Cons

Senior management that consistently fails the talented and dedicated workforce. While the physical location is great to look at and well situated, the actual workstations are far from ideal for a software company. They don't offer sufficient insulation from distractions to be as productive as possible.

Go home.

Motricity Photos

motricity
Out the window from my work cube

+ Add Photo