Motricity
www.motricity.com Bellevue, WA 50 to 149 Employees

Motricity Reviews

Updated May 8, 2014

Richard Sadowsky

Pros:
  • "smart people, work-life balance, decent pay"
    in 3 reviews
  • "There are still good people working here and the challenges and experiences you can get are unmatched"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Incompetent executive team needs to be replaced"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Communications need to be improved and more direction delivered from the management team"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Interesting!

Manager (Current Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsNimble and dynamic environment, fast paced culture.

ConsVolatile strategic initiatives, inadequately prepared to compete

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing it!

Company emerging from major change in great space focusing on innovation

ProsInnovation focus is really top of mind
    Straight shooting CEO who makes really tough decisions and has saved this company IMHO
    Mobile space we are in is really a cool space, growing
    Motricity has lived through a near death experience and it has brought a group of people a lot closer together
    The enterprise stuff and all the predictive data tech we are doing is really interesting. Learning truckloads everyday.

ConsGetting through last 9 months of changing the business has been really tough
    Shaking the bad memories of former CEO Ryan Wuerch.
    Getting some people in the company focused on moving forward, this isn't a socialist state, a few bad apples need to change their attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going. Next level of mgmt needs to work together better.
    Board or whoever should make our CEO permanent, we have made it through big challenges thanks to him, thankless job but it is appreciated.

Opportunities and Growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunities are here, especially as they go through changes. If you like the opportunities that come with small companies going through the reinvention process, then you can do well here. There are still good people working here and the challenges and experiences you can get are unmatched. Change and adaptability are the keys to your success.

ConsMobile sector is chaotic and unpredictable.

Advice to Senior ManagementCurrent management is on the right track and all that is left is to produce.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience.

Morrisville, NC

ProsWhat you do matters in this fast pased environment.

ConsTypical small company chaos, nothing unexpected though.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing because it is working.

Great place, poor manager

Prosfree food and the location

Conslack of communication from management

Advice to Senior Managementgood luck

Not as Bad as People Make it Sound

Professional Services (Current Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsThere are many opportunities to try and learn new things re other jobs, functional areas, customers, etc and all have the mobile focus. If you are a developer, but want to learn more about PM role, you can do that. If you are a finance person and want to learn more about what it takes to do a deployment, you can do that here by actually participating. I have learned and been a part of conversations and decisions that I don't think I would get anywhere else, certainly not in a big company such as Amazon or Microsoft.

Everyone has the potential for influence.

The people are highly talented and management isn't as bad as other reviews make it sound. I believe management is transparent in communication, although they can't tell us everything all the time.

There have been places I've hoped to into a car accident on the way to work so I don't have to go in. This isn't one of those places.

ConsIt has been a bumpy ride, especially for the last 8 months. Just about every change imaginable has happened: APAC operations shut-down, CEO and other C-level management walked out the door, action for cost reductions (lay-offs), etc. It's been difficult and a challenge.

The morale needs improvement and uncertain if people here are taking it upon themselves to try to make it better or would rather just complain about it. I think many would rather complain about it rather than help try to improve it.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe little things matter. When you say something is going to be done, then make sure it gets done in the appointed timeframe. And if there is a delay, let people know before the deadline passes.

A company in transition, making the difficult choices it needs o evolve and grow

ProsResilient employees, staff and leadership. Great customers in all lines of business. Smart people, dedicated and supportive of each other, have been through a lot together. Growing market opportunities and well positioned.

ConsA company in transition, but has made and executed many of the difficult decisions to shape and evolve the business. Poor public perception and baggage from transition and changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to evolve the business and shift focus from feature phones to smartphones, tablets and connected mobile devices. Stay committed to change and transformation.

Truly enjoyed the challenge and co-workers during my time at Motricity.

Seattle, WA

ProsChallenging and fast pace environments. Lots of technologies to keep you on your toes. Amazingly smart co-workers with compassion.

ConsCommunication gaps caused lost in direction/focus.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent.

Thoughts!

Durham, NC

Pros- Be able to take ownership of things and be able to openly share ideas and opinions.

Cons- Not enough communication from executive team and not enough faith around some of the decisions being made. A lot of times it is possible that a day will feel as if they are not a part of the company itself - this affects the employee morale.

Advice to Senior Management- Be Open in two way communication.
    - Employees like when the management is part of their day-day life and if there is a friendly atmosphere that prevails. Motricity had great working all last year and if the same continues - the company can hit great heights.

Tremendous engineering organization betrayed be incompetent senior management

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Durham, NC

ProsThe engineering organization within Motricity is the strongest that I've experienced in my professional career. The team is extremely dedicated to their work. Not only is the team technically talented but it consists of genuinely nice individuals who are both professional and a joy to work with. The compensation and benefits package are very competitive and raises are consistent with individuals' performances in my experience. The Motricity building in Durham is a very nice place to work. It's in a wonderful area of downtown Durham right by the Durham Bulls Stadium and the American Tobacco Campus. The company is also very understanding of the work/life balance. They're very accomodating of vacation requests whenever they're made.

ConsSenior management that consistently fails the talented and dedicated workforce. While the physical location is great to look at and well situated, the actual workstations are far from ideal for a software company. They don't offer sufficient insulation from distractions to be as productive as possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo home.

Worked for Motricity? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Motricity reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Motricity CEO Richard Sadowsky. All 50 reviews posted anonymously by Motricity employees.