Motricity Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

Work hard, play hard.

I worked at Motricity

Pros

The best reason to work at Motricity is the ability to work in the mobile industry. Mobile is very exciting and changing everyday, which offers interesting business and technology challenges.

Cons

Because Motricity's business is driven by a few, large customers, there is a big focus on custom solutions for these clients' short term needs.

Advice to Management

Motricity should remember that the most important investment you have is in your people, the intellectual captial, at the company.

2. review

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer In Test in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer In Test in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Motricity

Pros

Pay is good
    benefits are ok

Cons

recognition is biased
    slow to react to attract the best people/employees

Advice to Management

make sure management recognizes the right people and provides value to them
    attract the best employees at higher positions like managers/directors.

Want to cruise?

Current Employee - Project Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Motricity

Pros

If your goal is steady pay check, 40 hour week for as long as the going is good, Motricity is the place to be. If you have any career aspirations; avoid it.

Cons

Zero career growth; constant management turnover; deficient management

Advice to Management

New blood and people who are more secure in their skills managing key responsibilities

Incompetent Management Betrays Growth Possibilities

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Motricity

Pros

The engineering team and technical group at Motricity were great - they were very knowledgeable and hard-working, and genuinely cared about the products.

Cons

The management and senior management was a ship of fools. Promotions only went to long-time friends, and senior management... They should go back to selling cars.

Advice to Management

Get a new team!

6. Had big potential, but lost its luster

Former Employee - Member of Client Account Team
    Former Employee - Member of Client Account Team

I worked at Motricity

Pros

The best reasons are all in the past now, though there are still some very good people at the company. Sadly the talent, with a few exceptions, doesn't seem to exist in the exec suite.

Cons

Incompetent executive team needs to be replaced. Board of directors seems strangely beholden to poor-performing execs.

Advice to Management

Stop the rhetoric and take actions instead of spewing platitudes. Treat people with respect and professional courtesy.

7. Thoughts!

I worked at Motricity

Pros

- Be able to take ownership of things and be able to openly share ideas and opinions.

Cons

- Not enough communication from executive team and not enough faith around some of the decisions being made. A lot of times it is possible that a day will feel as if they are not a part of the company itself - this affects the employee morale.

Advice to Management

- Be Open in two way communication.
    - Employees like when the management is part of their day-day life and if there is a friendly atmosphere that prevails. Motricity had great working all last year and if the same continues - the company can hit great heights.

This is a company simply waiting to be bought out.

I have been working at Motricity

Pros

Work life balance is treated with respect. I never have an issue getting time off or adjusting my schedule when I need to. The people are pleasant and helpful.

Cons

One group has 4 engineers to support 3 directors. With a layer of management between. Yeah, they're a little top heavy. The pride of the company are things like a weather app, a horoscope app. They are hopelessly behind the market and there is no sign of that changing any time soon. Really when was the last time you looked at a weather app and thought "Oh I gotta have that". With such a bleak outlook you'd expect retention problems, yeah we have those too. The turn over rate is well above industry standard. The company quit trying to retain folks and now just compensates by bringing on more off shore contractors.

To add insult to injury the benefit package is substandard. Really skimping on benefits is just icing on the bad cake.

The salaries are average, just average. The equity and bonuses however are also sub-standard.

Advice to Management

Stop talking about game changing products, if you believe our products are game changing you're out of touch. If you don't believe it you're not alone, you're not fooling any of us. Nothing we produce is remotely close to game changing. Our apps stopped being game changing in 1999.

9. A sinking ship that's run aground. SINK FASTER!

Former Employee - Operations System Administrative in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Operations System Administrative in Durham, NC

I worked at Motricity

Pros

You will be afforded much time to shop for a new job as you look around. The downsizing should be pretty well done and the demands low, aside from keeping up with AT&T's crazy demands.

Cons

SO MANY. The talent has left. The VCs have given up on this being the next media darling. Jud has taken his pet projects and spun off. The money's dried up, the tech is 3 years old and stagnant. So, uh, unless you like the downhill slide to obsolescence, avoid!

Advice to Management

To put it in Ryan's bible thumping language: REPENT! THE END IS NEAR!

10. Tremendous engineering organization betrayed be incompetent senior management

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Durham, NC

I have been working at Motricity

Pros

The engineering organization within Motricity is the strongest that I've experienced in my professional career. The team is extremely dedicated to their work. Not only is the team technically talented but it consists of genuinely nice individuals who are both professional and a joy to work with. The compensation and benefits package are very competitive and raises are consistent with individuals' performances in my experience. The Motricity building in Durham is a very nice place to work. It's in a wonderful area of downtown Durham right by the Durham Bulls Stadium and the American Tobacco Campus. The company is also very understanding of the work/life balance. They're very accomodating of vacation requests whenever they're made.

Cons

Senior management that consistently fails the talented and dedicated workforce. While the physical location is great to look at and well situated, the actual workstations are far from ideal for a software company. They don't offer sufficient insulation from distractions to be as productive as possible.

Advice to Management

Go home.

11. Motricity? Move on!

I have been working at Motricity

Pros

The pay is slightly above average for the industry. Many folks work 5 hour days.

Cons

Absolutely no career path and no opportunity for advancement. People rise up the ladder simply based on how long they've worked there. Management is COMPLETELY hands off, setting no goals or vision, and demonstrating complete apathy towards their employees. The office in Bellevue averages 24% attrition.

Advice to Management

Recognize and reward your employees and their performance. Show interest in their work and communicate with them on occasion. Employ basic management techniques. Promote when possible. Also, STOP re-organizing! The company goes through a re-org about every 9 months. Listen to and thank people for their input.

RSS Feed </> Embed