Mount Carmel Health Reviews

Updated March 17, 2015
50 reviews filtered by
3.1
Claus Von Zychlin

Pros
  • Good benefits, but mainly only for employee (in 6 reviews)

• MCHS is a faith based facility and I would recommend working here to anyone, I've just outgrown my options and needed to expand (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no one else to care for your other patients while you are with the sickest of the sick; everyone else is in the same situation (in 2 reviews)

• East ER is no place for new grads or inexperienced nurses, however, they are hired because no one else with a brain is applying there (in 2 reviews)

1. New Albany campus

Current Employee - Mst in New Albany, OH
    Current Employee - Mst in New Albany, OH

I have been working at Mount Carmel Health

Pros

The people are amazing and it really is a family oriented place with a lot of team work.

Cons

Benefits not as good as the other hospital systems in Columbus.

Continue keeping open discussions with staff.

2. Excellent company, to work for!

Current Employee - Surgical Technician in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Surgical Technician in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Mount Carmel Health

Pros

Excellent pay, benefits, 12 hour shift schedule works perfect for me!

Cons

I don't have any at this time, I'm so grateful to work there.

I just started, as I don't have anything.

3. Loved my coworkers!

Former Employee - Staff RN
    Former Employee - Staff RN

I worked at Mount Carmel Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Supportive and kind coworkers were awesome to have as a new grad. Received 3 raises within 18 months of working at hospital.

Cons

Upper management more focused on patient safety and satisfaction above all else. Oftentimes we worked understaffed.

Wish more emphasis was placed on employee satisfaction.

5. Patient Financial Specialist - Decent job, not a career

Current Employee - Patient Financial Specialist I in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Patient Financial Specialist I in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Mount Carmel Health

Pros

Fast paced work
    not necessarily stressful
    decent pay
    I have nice managers and coworkers

Cons

Not the best pay or benefits
    don't intend to stay with the company because of pay/benefits
    Must collect a certain amount of co-pays/month
    changed a purely registration job into collections

Stop with the collection goals, i did not sign up for that. Keep the department fully staffed.

6. Manager

I worked at Mount Carmel Health

Pros

Ok place to work. Good workers

Cons

Low pay. Difficult culture at the times, disconnection between departments.

Keep your managers, dont loose them.

7. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Clinical Informatics in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Clinical Informatics in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Mount Carmel Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Allow you to grow and expand your skill sets. Offer benefits at reasonable cost. Innovative and truly care about making improvements that better patient care and their experience. Mount Carmel is a data driven facility and leads the way for innovative processes that brings real results.

Cons

Better onboarding, communication and accountability to ensure established processes are followed are lacking. They follow everything until leadership changes, then everything gets forgotten or not passed on. They need better metrics to communicate progress and provide feedback to the staff since they went to the new EMR. It will come with time, but knowing other hospitals within our network have come before us, you would be hopeful that many of those lessons learned were brought forward.

Hold leadership accountable for their feedback and follow up with the staff to ensure they are doing what is expected of them. Provide a better onboarding program for leadership and high level staff responsible for metrics and ongoing communication to the staff.

Dedicated long term employee

Former Employee - Staff RN in Columbus, OH

I worked at Mount Carmel Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent salary and benefits nice transporters. Some nice managers. Central location. Minimal costs for parking some flexiblility in work schedules

Cons

Horrible management and HR department. Hostile work environment, bullying, lack of compassion.

Listen to your employees. Give some positive reinforcement. Discipline and fire bullying managers. Less layers if man agent, develop an employee incentive program. Provide lunch when we don't get a break.

There are much better places in Columbus

Current Employee - Lab in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Lab in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Mount Carmel Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, generous paid time off, reasonably good benefits, management is fairly down to earth and approachable.

Cons

Extremely heavy workload, pay is low compared to OSU and Ohio Health. Mount Carmel does not reward loyalty. Pay raises actually decrease the longer you are there. They cut the evening and night shift differentials dramatically--without notice. Mount Carmel West is old and almost embarrassing. It doesn't feel like a health organization that is going anywhere, unlike the others in Columbus. I'm seriously considering leaving after over 10 years there.

Listen to employees instead of wasting time and money on expensive consultants. Pay employees what they deserve for incredibly hard work.

Horrible and unsafe

Former Employee - Staff RN in Columbus, OH

I worked at Mount Carmel Health (more than 3 years)

Pros

Teamwork is fabulous when there is time...I really enjoyed most of my coworkers. I like the Subway at East. Not much else to say that would be considered a pro.

Cons

The staffing ratios in the ED are unsafe at East. The patients are very sick and some require lengthy one on one nursing care. There is no one else to care for your other patients while you are with the sickest of the sick; everyone else is in the same situation. The turnover rate is staggeringly high, yet nothing is done about it. I cannot believe that the CNO and CEO are not in there finding out why this is happening! Nurses at other hospitals know Mt Carmel's reputation and make negative comments about it. There is distinct favoritism at East ED. Some people get away with everything, do nothing, and run the show. I worked at two different Mt Carmel facilities and I cannot believe they are even within the same health system! West is organized and runs like a well-oiled machine, while East is a nightmare! The nurses on the floors are exceptionally rude to one another and are constantly writing nurses from other departments up for comical, childish reasons. Everyone is miserable, run down, and because of this, hateful to each other and sometimes to patients. Sometimes there isn't the proper equipment to do your job. East ER is no place for new grads or inexperienced nurses, however, they are hired because no one else with a brain is applying there.

CNO- find out why the turnover is so high. There are definite reasons, buy you are not listening. Calls have been made to the compliance hotline and info given in exit interviews; still you do nothing. Is yours an honorary position? Hire more staff. It is dangerous there. Nurses put their patient's safety and their licenses on the line every single time they swipe the clock. Value your employees. A t-shirt or a mug or a gift card goes a long way for nurses for nurses week, ER nurses week, etc. We literally got nothing. This is the only hospital where I have worked where there was nothing. You had free ice cream or something during day shift one or two days. Nurses don't work every single day, nor do they all work day shift. This is a slap in the face to the already beaten down staff. Stop having nurses with 18 months of experience, only 9 of it in the ED, be charge nurses because someone in lower management "likes them". That is unsafe and ridiculous!

11. Mount Carmel Grove City

I worked at Mount Carmel Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Small group of employees. Beautiful facility in nice location.

Cons

Very difficult to work with some of the management. Beware, these managers are watching you 24/7. Not a great learning environment and stressful working conditions.

Get your managers educated and trained. Managers that work their way up with experience may not be the best leaders. Leaders should be open to change and encourage feedback and fresh ideas.