Mount Carmel Health Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Claus Von Zychlin

Pros
  • Good benefits, but mainly only for employee (in 6 reviews)

• Faith-based if you are Catholic, but they don't convert anyone (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no one else to care for your other patients while you are with the sickest of the sick; everyone else is in the same situation (in 2 reviews)

• Pay raises actually decrease the longer you are there (in 2 reviews)

1. More Ups Than Downs

Current Employee - Health Information Specialist in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Health Information Specialist in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Mount Carmel Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Faith based organization that really listens to their employees to improve job satisfaction and patient safety.

Cons

Not as may employee perks as there used to be, and they pay could be just a tiny bit better.

2. It was a good place

Pros

Fun environment. educated and felt loved

Cons

None really. It was a great place to work

3. True to the Mission

Current Employee - Emergency Room Case Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Emergency Room Case Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Mount Carmel Health (More than a year)

Pros

True to their mission to both employees and patients.

Cons

Salary is very rigid and formulated.

Advice to Management

Keep allowing people to move up from within.

5. Don't bother

Pros

There arent any pros. I only stay because I cant find other work right now

Cons

No money No movement Black balling if you try to advance

6. Just okay

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse

Pros

Competitive pay, that's about it

Cons

Understaffed, benefits are just okay, management always plays favorites (then again it's mainly a women's field,) never feel like you have job security, staff bullying other staff members with management aware

Advice to Management

Consider that this is the healthcare industry. Just as your patients get sick, so do employees. Perhaps you should consider that and not always hold it against them when you send them home for being ill. Also, if staff is expected to do hourly rounding you should keep staffing up and not focus so much on every little bit of charting. Patient care and safety is more important.

7. MCE RN

Current Employee - Staff Nurse in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Mount Carmel Health (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful coworkers, everyone helps each other, great team. Doctors...not so much, but that's everywhere.

Cons

No room for growth or advancement.

8. MST- 3 Tower Orthopedic (MCE)

Current Employee - Multi Skilled Technician in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Multi Skilled Technician in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Mount Carmel Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have just started at Mount Carmel East, but all of the staff have been very welcoming during my training! Most of the employees that I have worked with seem adept at their jobs and a have a drive to provide quality healthcare. Floor managers (Unit manager, Nursing manager) genuinely care about the employees on 3 Tower. I was just granted a weeks vacation with only giving a month notice because I had just started, but the unit manager made it work so that I could take those dates off. PTO accumulates quickly as well.

Cons

Pay could be better, they are starting me out at $11.74/hr. There are shift differentials: $1.00* on the weekends, and I believe $2.50* after midnight (*these are Tech differentials, not sure about other positions). Benefits aren't the greatest and retirement here is marginal. The Mount Carmel healthcare system isn't the most prestigious in Central Ohio.

Advice to Management

My managers have been great; however, I know there are many people who complain about certain departments within MCE. My advice to the average glassdoor user reading this and going into healthcare is to shadow on the floor that you get a job offer on. Obviously not everyone has that option and may only get offered a job on one type of floor, but learning what type of specialty floor and the culture on that specific floor can make all of the difference on how comfortable and satisfied you feel working your job in the future.

9. Working at St. Ann's

Current Employee - Health Unit Coordinator in Westerville, OH
    Current Employee - Health Unit Coordinator in Westerville, OH

I have been working at Mount Carmel Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Started working there 4 years ago and I have changed positions twice. I have had over $5 in raises since I started there. I work three 12 hour shifts and have the rest of the week off. Upper management is wonderful to work with.

Cons

The hospital is short staffed most of the time meaning you are taking responsibility for more patients than the average hospital around here. strict dress code that makes the hospital a bit boring. In my unit and position there is exactly enough employees to cover all the shifts so there is very little done if your work schedule conflicts with life outside of work.

Advice to Management

Hire more than bare bones staffing to relieve some of the excess pressure on the employees you currently have working for you.

10. Be prepared to work hard for little acknowledgement

I worked at Mount Carmel Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Senior leaders are committed to the mission to care for the poor and underserved. Religious heritage and values are more prominently displayed than other faith-based hospitals in the area.

Cons

The higher up the ranks one ascends, the more politics influence one's success as opposed to merit. Must have the support of a senior executive to get anything done. Resources seem to be inequitably allocated. So much work to do that professional standards are lax because everyone (secretly) acknowledges there's no way to meet expectations or the needs of stakeholders. Values are less evident in the way employees are regarded.

Advice to Management

Speak directly to those in middle management, rather than relying on their superiors, before making decisions with significant impact on the business, employees and patients. Find some way to lighten the workload rather than burning out dedicated associates.

11. Patient care venipuncture and ekg

Current Employee - Mst in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Mst in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Mount Carmel Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Person to person interaction learning new things everyday I work it's never the same patients that you are taking care of

Cons

Bad management the nurses don't help with the patients you have together there is so much that we have to do and e don't get paid enough

Advice to Management

Don't treat your staff bad.

RSS Feed </> Embed