Mountain America Credit Union Reviews

3.4
Sterling Nielsen

I feel very valued working for Mountain America Credit Union

I have been working at Mountain America Credit Union full-time

Pros

I don't think I've ever had a job where I feel more valued. I have read a few of the negative reviews on this site, particularly in regards to the Marketing department, and I would like to say that I disagree with most of what has been said. My experience has been very positive. I feel like I have a very open line of communication with my manager. I have never once expressed a concern that wasn't immediately addressed.

I work with great people, and I am empowered and trusted to do my job without people looking over my shoulder. The compensation is more than fair. It seems like Mountain America takes the hiring process very seriously and they do their best to hire individuals who have standards that line up with company objectives and goals. They also seems to go to great lengths to keep those individuals happy.

Cons

I hesitate to list this as a con, but I can't think of many other things, so I'll discuss it here. The Credit Union is growing at such a rapid rate that it can be difficult to prioritize/stay on top of things at times. Again, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. I would certainly prefer it over spending time looking for things to do throughout the day.

But with that being said, I don't feel like I am asked to put in so much time/work that my life is out of balance. Another thing I really like about here is just that. I feel that my life is very balanced between work and family. I put in a very honest and hard day's work each and every day - but I do not feel like I am asked to work so much that I have to put my family on the back burner. That is very important to me.

Even though there have been some negative comments/reviews on this site, not everyone feels that way. I think that the attitude you bring to your job will greatly impact your job satisfaction. I work in the marketing department and am very happy with my job. I plan on being here for a long time.

A Great Company to Work For

I worked at Mountain America Credit Union

Pros

I previously worked in the Marketing Department at MACU and loved my time there. I felt empowered by management and felt that I had a say and an impact in the strategic direction of the company. Management truly cares about the employees and proves it through above average compensation, great benefits, and a strong work-life balance. They hire talented people and allow them to use their talents to the best of their ability. My co-workers were all intelligent, well-qualified, and a pleasure to work with. Everyone was willing to do what it takes to help each other out in achieving common goals. I left the company because I had the opportunity to take a position that really advanced my career. I wouldn't have had the opportunity or qualifications for this job if not for the opportunities and experiences I received working for MACU.

Cons

There are a few bumps that come from being a rapidly growing company. Retirement program is average.

Keep up the good work and aggressive growth. Maybe consider adding a pension program to provide added incentive to long time employees.

Great Company - Great Leaders

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Jordan, UT

I have been working at Mountain America Credit Union full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I had the opportunity to sit in a seminar today where one of the Executive Vice Presidents of Mountain America sat on a panel with other business leaders. I was impressed with the ideas he shared and the way our philosophies and values were represented. Sometimes it is good to hear about your employer from its leaders in a public setting. I was once again affirmed in my belief that this is a great company to work for, that we have a meaningful mission and vision, and core values that resonate with me.

Cons

Cons are some of the pains that can come with rapid growth and trying to find the right people for the many job openings we are creating.

Keep the momentum, keep the mission, vision, motto, and core values front and center. It is something that all employees can rally around.

Constant Change

I worked at Mountain America Credit Union

Pros

They pay well which is good.

Cons

Once they feel like they've used you up, they alienate you.

Get people to stay.

Good company, bad fit for myself

Former Employee - Secondary Market Specialist
    Former Employee - Secondary Market Specialist

I worked at Mountain America Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers
    Great benefits package
    On-site gyms with locker rooms and showers at Corporate offices
    Annual wellness and benefits Fairs

Cons

Routine and often uninteresting work
    Lots and lots of time staring at spreadsheets
    Not much room for growth in the department I was in
    Work/life balance was difficult to maintain

Allow time for employees to develop new skills/projects.

Great people, great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Mountain America Credit Union full-time

Pros

The entire credit union subscribes to a unified vision: help members achieve their financial dreams. This drives every decision and strategy at the company. Its dedication to this effort is unmatched and shows in the service they offer members.

As a long time member of the marketing team, I can attest to the positive culture and truly feel the leadership team believes that if employees are treated with respect and feel valued, this will reflect in the quality of service offered to members. This has helped Mountain America win numerous awards for work/life balance and best places to work year after year. Most of these awards are based solely on current employee survey responses.

One of Mountain America's core values is continuous improvement. This is evident in the opportunities presented to employees to acquire new skills through in-house training, conferences, webinars, community events, etc.

If you are considering a position with Mountain America, I would encourage you to apply so you can develop your own opinion about the talented and caring employees that make this credit union world-class.

Cons

Not much to complain about. Benefits and pay are very competitive.

A rewarding experience with opportunity for advancement.

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Mountain America Credit Union part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were great to work with and the branch culture made it a place I looked forward to going to. There is definitely room to move up in the company (at least in the branch system). Many of the managers and loan officers have been there for a long time, moving up from starting as a teller.

Cons

There is an increasing push to get people to sign up for electronic services to the point that it is actually called "sales." I specifically wanted this job because it wasn't a sales position but this push spoiled that a bit.

I know you're trying to be competitive with other credit unions, but it is possible to be too competitive.

Great company

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in West Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in West Jordan, UT

I have been working at Mountain America Credit Union

Pros

Good pay, great co-workers, a great company with a lot of opportunity for advancement. You learn a lot about finances and dealing with money. You also get a lot of regular members coming in to the branch.

Cons

My manager was REALLY pushy on sales I loved the job until he got there. Micromanaged everything and really did a good job of making everybody hate him.

Hire better branch managers

Great company with some major challenges

Current Employee - Marketing in West Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Marketing in West Jordan, UT

I have been working at Mountain America Credit Union full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Mountain America is a great company! They have awesome benefits and perks like on-site gym at corporate, employee bring your kids to work days, great facilities, company growth, and intelligent senior management.

Cons

I work in marketing. I know that management within my department has been soliciting people within the department to write "positive" reviews.. I am actively looking for new employment. The buck continues to be passed, as excuses are made for everyone within our department being unhappy or leaving. These excuses include "someone has to make the hard decisions, and people don't like those decisions sometimes and leave." The attrition issues within our department, from my opinion, has more to do with the way people are treated than with the decisions that are being made by the department leaders. I've never worked somewhere where there is a larger disconnect between middle-management and their employees. There is no effort to get to know their employees, become their friends, know about their families and personal lives, etc. In fact, the opposite couldn't be more true. It's almost as though there is a deliberate attempt NOT to connect with employees at a personal level. In addition, there is a "hire external" first mentality that prohibits talented individuals from getting promotions and opportunities within the marketing department.

Please, please, please communicate to your employees if this issue is being dealt with. I understand when issues need to be taken care of "behind closed doors", but in the meantime we all wait and wonder if anything is happening to make it a better culture. Also, I'd suggest if action is being taken, it be taken swiftly as to ensure the hole department doesn't end up leaving before the actual problems get taken care of. There are so many good, smart, talented people that are here, but unfortunately there's even more that have left because of the issues.

Poor Leadership Creating Unsatisfactory Work Environment

I worked at Mountain America Credit Union full-time

Pros

Mountain America has so many great things going.  There are some truly amazing and dedicated people that are doing their best to help members and offer some of the best products and services available in the market.  In addition, the benefits are above average and there is a pretty good work/life balance.  The company as a whole is growing and strives to be on the cutting edge with many of the systems and products/services offered to members.  As with many companies, it really comes down to which area you work in that will determine your perspective.

Cons

I just recently learned about this site and was encouraged by former co-workers to write a review in hopes that it would help to bring some changes to the marketing area.  I have read some of the reviews that others have written and can certainly relate to most of the challenges mentioned.  I am one of the people involved in the “mass exodus” from the marketing area, and can confirm that I wasn’t given an exit interview when I left (on my own, and on good terms).  I was disappointed because I had some constructive feedback that I think could have helped.

My biggest concerns stem from my interactions with top leadership in marketing.  There seems to be a severe lack of leadership and lack of strategy/ direction at the top.  It was evident to me that top leadership felt threatened by the talent of many of the team members rather than tapping into that talent to really grow the business.  Fear tactics were used regularly, with somewhat of a “bully” mentality.  There is no dissemination of strategy or budget because of a fear that “everybody is trying to copy”.  This limits the ability of team members to really bring their best ideas and solutions to the table.  The lack of oversight by executive leaders brings concern to me for the whole organization.

If somebody is evaluating whether they want to work for this company, read each of the reviews carefully.  As mentioned earlier, the area in which you work really makes a difference in your overall opinion of the company.  It should be noted that I personally witnessed multiple individuals suffer repercussions from approaching HR with concerns.  That is a scary sign for me, I would hope that they would be looking out for the company as a whole.  My experience also makes me question the executive team as they (from an outside perspective) seem to be ignoring the issues.

Take a minute to look at the trend within the marketing department alone, there seems to be a trend that (at least from the outside) is being ignored.  I am sure you are hearing a different story from those at the top, but there is a reason such talented individuals are leaving.  Make HR a safe place, and more than that, a place that takes concerns seriously.  I would love to see the executive team really deliver on the core values that should be driving the company.  You have a great thing going in so many ways, don’t allow one individual to ruin the reputation of a great company.

Mountain America Credit Union Response

Mar 3, 2015SVP HR

Thank you for your candid feedback. We appreciate both the pros and the cons. We absolutely strive to put our members first, and to treat all employees with mutual trust and respect, which is one of ... More

Mountain America Credit Union Photos